Sign in to follow this  
andysheppard

I think we did something wrong. Reverse is faster than Forward?

Hello all,  First-time post, first time to the hobby, first time Tamiya Kit.

I am Andy and my 8-year-old son. Josh.  He received a TT02B MS kit for Christmas and we just completed building it.  Everything appears to be correct except when I pull the trigger for reverse,  I get a faster speed and higher motor whine than for forward.  That does not seem correct.  Hoping someone could let us know,  did we do something wrong in the drivetrain,  with the electronics, with the motor installation,  or is it possibly a radio setting issue?

Here is a list of the equipment we are using:

The Motor we are using is the Tamiya Super Stock BZ

The speed controller is the Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 Brushed ESC

The Radio we are using is the Radiolink RC4GS 2.4GHz 4CH RC Transmitter and Receiver R6FG.

We appreciate any feedback, suggestions, and tips on how to fix the speed direction, and anything else we might not have thought about.

Thank you,

Andy & Josh

First and second questions: how is the motor wired? Do the lighter-coloured cables attach to each other, and the same for the darker-coloured cables? Every now and then, I find this when I connect the motor the wrong way to the ESC.

• Like 1

The Motor has a red and black cable output.  The ESC has a yellow and blue cable.  I have it red to blue,  and black to yellow.  When I reverse that,  the car ran reverse when I pulled the trigger back,  and the car ran forward when I pulled the trigger forward.

I am trying to upload an image of the car,  but not having success.  Are you able to view an image link?  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AprBYQQFX-sijMdfulNZkj4zplyUkg

With the current wiring,  when I pull the throttle back the car goes forward.  When I push the throttle trigger forward the car goes in reverse.  That is the expected and desired outcome.  Only the forward speed is lower than the reverse speed.

Thank you for any help.

Andy and Josh

Can you reverse the throttle output on your radio? On some radios, you can do that with a switch:

brc_1c_cc.jpg

That would help with the situation experienced when reversing the current wiring, and would achieve a faster forward than reverse. It would then be a combination of reversing the motor wires and flipping the corresponding switch on the radio.

Outside of that, unfortunately I am out of answers! No doubt there is a more knowledgeable forum member who can pitch in if this does not work, though. Best of luck!

• Like 1

As above.

Reverse the cables on the motor and then reverse the throttle on the controller 

• Like 4

In my logic, the Blue wire is - the yellow is +

if you put the black on yellow that is a - + connection

you want to make a - - and + + connection.

that is how wires go. If it goes reverse when you go forward, just press on the transmitter the TH switch to REV or NOR until it goes forward when you pres forward

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

As above.

Reverse the cables on the motor and then reverse the throttle on the controller 

All,

Thank you!  This was the solution.  We reversed the Battery wires which made everything backward on the car.  Then we changed the direction setting on the controller to reverse,  and now everything works as expected.  Just needed someone to talk us through it.  We changed the wires before,  but when it was reversed,  we thought that was wrong.

Appreciate everyone giving some suggestions.  Now to trim a body and figure out how to pain it.  Luckily several people on the forum have posted lots of tips.

Andy & Josh

20 minutes ago, andysheppard said:

All,

Thank you!  This was the solution.  We reversed the Battery wires which made everything backward on the car.  Then we changed the direction setting on the controller to reverse,  and now everything works as expected.  Just needed someone to talk us through it.  We changed the wires before,  but when it was reversed,  we thought that was wrong.

Appreciate everyone giving some suggestions.  Now to trim a body and figure out how to pain it.  Luckily several people on the forum have posted lots of tips.

Andy & Josh

Now we need a build thread and photos :)

Lots of good advice on here for that model, you will need it when that motor strips the first diff.

15 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Now we need a build thread and photos :)

Lots of good advice on here for that model, you will need it when that motor strips the first diff.

Nobbi,

I was going to do a complete build thread,  but there were several already done on the forum that are so good,  I did not think I could improve what was already there.  As many do,  I am using this experience as a teaching experience for my son,  so he learns how things work,  and how to fix them when they don't.  All the way down to showing him how forums and communities exist online for interests he has.  I have read every related build thread already prior to building,  and he and I were reading threads about cutting the body, preparing for paint, and painting the body.  He has to decide how he wants to paint it,  and that is the next step.

We built the car completely stock, but I have every single hop up known to man for this model on hand.  I know the diff is probably the weak point,  so I have the complete metal rebuild on hand for when it fails.

I have to figure out why when I drag and drop an image,  or try to insert an image I get an error.  But here is a link to what the car looks like pre-body right before we took it outside to shake it down a bit.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AprBYQQFX-sijMdoN9a78qhoy66hRw

Andy and Josh

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you are well up to speed.

I am doing the same with my two. I learnt on 1:1 with my Dad but modern stuff never needs fixing so how can they learn?

I think driving the cars also helps when they get on the road. A little bit of knowledge about under and over steer is worth its weight in gold

For some reason the quicrun1060 are all backwards for me no matter how i hook up the motor cables. Just reversing the channel does the trick like stated above. 

2 hours ago, Apexape said:

For some reason the quicrun1060 are all backwards for me no matter how i hook up the motor cables. Just reversing the channel does the trick like stated above. 

I'm not sure about the Quicrun 1060, but a lot of ESC's have a calibration setting you have to do. Have a look in the manual. You might have to reverse channel on your transmitter and then go through the calibration process again.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:31 PM, andysheppard said:

All,

Andy & Josh

I’m glad this worked out for you. I was going to the suggest exactly what you ended up doing .

troubleshooting this can be frustrating, but also fun and rewarding .

On 5/9/2019 at 6:30 AM, Apexape said:

I don’t recall if it’s is a quicrun1060 or an onyx  ESC I got recently but the setup instructions specifics said to have the throttle channel reversed before the calibration steps