ALEXKYRIAK

Alexkyriak’s NeoFrog build

Hi all, some pics of a Neofighter Frog project that’s work in progress. I’d seen various versions of this on the net and decided I’d try my own take on it. 

Neofrog

This is based on a standard DT03 Neofighter kit, with various hop-ups and a custom piece for the front shock mounts    

Neofrog

I used the Frog decals mixed in with some ‘classic tamiya’ stickers/decals reproduction from MCI Racing for some of the old school pre-re-re version of the stickers  

Neofrog

i cut the body bigger than the manual asks for, as I think the standard body cuts are a bit too tight for my liking, with the maximised body area I’ve cut to gives the body a fuller appearance and a bit more ‘vintage’ look in my humble opinion  

NeoFrog

Neofrog

Shocks are Carson shocks. They needed stiffer springs at the rear end  to take weight of the car and motor, so I put some TT02-B rear springs on. 

Rear shock mount is the Tamiya carbon DT03 hop up. The front shock mounts are custom designed pieces that I had fabricated at Fiberlyte - I didn’t want the standard Tamiya carbon fibre piece to dominate the front end, so two separate arms allow the front to breath more and let the Frog stickers become more visible.

Front shock mounts are fitted to GPM aluminium shock support. Turnbuckle sets are mounted for steering and upper arms.

Rear drive shafts are also GPM, nice and chunky. Generally,  I was trying to replicate the silver and black of the original Frog in all of the suspension and drive systems.

Neofrog

Neofrog

I messed up a body prior to the final one, by trying to spray paint the black frames around the windows / cockpit ..... very frustrating and an expensive mistake. Managed to (almost) do it right the second time. 

Neofrog

Paints are the standard frog paints of PS-11 Pink and PS-1 White, with a Pearl PS-58 pre-coating to give the finish a subtle bit of sparkle.  Cockpit frame is done first in Gunmetal.

Neofrog

Neofrog

So next steps I need to add the yellow and black headlights -  just awaiting some paint - and potentially the driver figure (although I’m terrible at driver figures...).

Also need to adjust the shock stiffness and shock lengths a bit more to balance the car out, prior to running. Then it’s just finishing the electronics. Motor mounted is a  Speedpassion 13.5 MMM brushless sensored motor, to be used with a TBLE-02s ESC. 

Fun build so far :)  

Edit: please could Forum Admin move this thread to the Builds section? I accidentally posted it to General. Thanks. 

Edited by ALEXKYRIAK
Requesting to move thread to Builds
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Forget the Wild One project, I want a DT03 Froggy! 

(until you post the Wild One... I'll want the Wild One then) 

• Haha 3

That’s a Buggy looking its best for sure, liking it a lot 👍🏻

• Like 1

A few pics now that I’ve finally added the headlamps. Driver next perhaps to round out the build in full retro fashion...

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

NeoFrogNeoFrog

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

Just need to make a few front shock adjustments to lower the front slightly, and then stick the electrics in. 

• Like 7

@Man1c M0nk3y and @78Triumph, this one will probably get a light run out or two and mostly be shelf candy.

My general problem is that I can find small snippets of time to do build work on cars and projects, but find it extremely difficult to do much running of the cars themselves. I can’t just nip to a nearby field on the way back from work or anything like that.  I adore the build and creation process, I just wish I’m running more.

Currently being a parent means zero me-time when my wonderful little son is awake. I can’t wait until he’s a bit older and we can then build kits and run cars together....! 

I admit there’s a bit of pristine OCD that means some cars not get run.

I have succumbed to the issue many a TCer seems to have, which is project creep. I currently have a number of projects and kits to build, but what happens is that the more normal or stock kits get postponed whist I pursue something more niche/exotic/custom/experimental.... ;) 

• Like 3

Fair enough that. 

I enjoy the build more than the running beyond tweaking tbh. 

I just let the kids destroy them and enjoy rebuilding 😂

I would have kits everywhere if funds and time allowed just for the building side. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

@Man1c M0nk3y and @78Triumph, this one will probably get a light run out or two and mostly be shelf candy.

My general problem is that I can find small snippets of time to do build work on cars and projects, but find it extremely difficult to do much running of the cars themselves. I can’t just nip to a nearby field on the way back from work of anything like that.  I adore the build and creation process, I just wish I’m running more.

Currently being a parent means zero me-time when my wonderful little son is awake. I can’t wait until he’s a bit older and we can then build kits and run cars together....! 

I admit there’s a bit of pristine OCD that means some cars not get run.

I have succumbed to the issue many a TCer seems to have, which is project creep. I currently have a number of projects and kits to build, but what happens is that the more normal or stock kits get postponed whist I pursue something more niche/exotic/custom/experimental.... ;) 

This describes me exactly also...   Too many projects at the moment.  I keep telling myself that was the last kit I am buying until they are all built...  then I buy another.  :huh:  Planning the builds and then executing them is a very gratifying aspect for me.  Then I see a build someone else does (usually you @ALEXKYRIAK

• Like 2

Thanks @Nicadraus  ok here’s some body off shots and some details. Generally I was going for a black and silver look, to try to respect the colours and materials on the original Frog. 

Various updates

Various updates

Various updates

Various updates

Various updates

Various updates

Various updates

Next up is a driver figure, and I’ll think I’ll break out the tyre marker again for some white lettering loveliness...!  :) 

• Like 6

So a minor update today....Some white tyre lettering completed. Much much harder than I seem to remember! Used a scalpel to scrape off any over markings, so it turned out okayish .

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

NeoFrog

(Pens used were Pilot supercolor permanent extra fine (EF) marker in White, and a normal Fine version for the letter edges)

• Like 6

Thanks @Richie Rich. Here are the parts used over and above the stock kit parts. Think it covers most of it, hope this helps.

Suspension

Front Rocker Arm: GPM Racing DT3027-S

Front C-Hubs: GPM Racing DT3019-S

Front Knuckle Arm : GPM Racing DT3021-S

Rear Hub: GPM Racing DT3022-S

Suspension Arm mount: GPM Racing DT3008-S

Shocks: Carson Model Sport, parts 500405702 / 500405702

DT-03 Turnbuckle set: Tamiya 54572

Rear Carbon damper stay: Tamiya 54563

Front Carbon Damper stays: home-made piece, fabricated by Fibrelyte

Suspension Shaft set: Tamiya 53301

Drive

Aluminium Dog-bone: GPM Racing DT3158-S

Aluminium Wheel Joint: GPM Racing DT3039-BK

Aluminium Differential Joint: GPM Racing DT3041-S

CVD Drive Shaft: GPM Racing DT3264SC-BK

Steel Pinion gear 17t: Tamiya 54628

Other

Aluminium Adjustable wing mount: GPM Racing DT3040-S

Servo Mount (aluminium): GPM Racing DT3024 (Silver)

Front Bumper (aluminium): GPM Racing DT3003F-S

DT-03 Lightweight gear shaft: Tamiya 54560 (had one lying around so I fitted it...)

DT-03 aluminium gearbox bridge: Tamiya 54566

Battery Bar: Tamiya 54564

Headlight / Driver figure: Tamiya 54626

Spacers/ shims: For use with the shaft set and e-clips: Tamiya Aluminium Spacer set 5.5mm dia. Part: 53539

The Frog Decal Set: MCI Racing

Vintage Tamiya Decals: MCI Racing

Stainless steel bucket head hex screws: generally M3 size: Westfield Fasteners