humbug

Classic touring cars 90s era

23 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Only when racing becomes Australian Touring SUVs...!? 

Nobody buying Aussie 4dr sedans anymore, last remaining survivor Commodore soon to be killed off to join the dead Falcon/Pintara/Magna/Valiant/P76/Austin1800.

Today's F1 has lost its magic too.

100% agree.

But for instance look at how much the Mustang had to be changed to fit within the specs. It's less of a Mustang than what the Commodore is a Commodore.

We will also never see another Jack Brabham...

• Like 1

I really loved reading through this thread! Some top notch stuff on display.

Can you still get wide body shells, if so, what am I looking for?

Liking the idea of buggy touring cars, I think thats yet another idea on the build list!

• Like 1

Just thought i'd share footage of my very first experience driving on an on-road course. See youtube link below. 32 years of procrastinating and avoidance finally comes to an end. Way more fun than i imagined... I don't know why i was so intimidated before... Now i need to go back for more! The chassis is a tamiya ta02sw. Shell is Tamiya 300zx imsa gto. Motor is a mabuchi 27t silver can armature in a trinity D4 mod can. Seems to go alright but seems under geared for the track, so i'll be looking to buy the high speed gear set soon 1f642.png the circuit is Whalan model car club in Sydney Australia when we're in the middle of the bush fires. Hence the strong wind and smoke. Anyway, happy RC-ing! 1f642.png

https://youtu.be/ZU0UIE0Jb3I

83400029_10157149384737736_1169433368937365504_n.jpg.f0e5addccb8a2c65d1af1d2d2ae946d2.jpg

84206815_10157149384832736_7821557319178649600_n.jpg.6b903e9db5cfb44061c5e32a3644319e.jpg

• Like 2

Also anyone else excited for the re-release of the ta03 chassis? I sure am!

model_58193_01.jpg

How about TRF spec? Oh yeah!
Tamiya TA03R-S TRF Special Chassis Kit
I wonder if they'll release the front motor version too <3

The 58200 TA03F Pro David Jun; fantastic classic tourer

• Like 4

11 hours ago, humbug said:

Just thought i'd share footage of my very first experience driving on an on-road course. See youtube link below. 32 years of procrastinating and avoidance finally comes to an end. Way more fun than i imagined... I don't know why i was so intimidated before... Now i need to go back for more! The chassis is a tamiya ta02sw. Shell is Tamiya 300zx imsa gto. Motor is a mabuchi 27t silver can armature in a trinity D4 mod can. Seems to go alright but seems under geared for the track, so i'll be looking to buy the high speed gear set soon 1f642.png the circuit is Whalan model car club in Sydney Australia when we're in the middle of the bush fires. Hence the strong wind and smoke. Anyway, happy RC-ing! 1f642.png

83400029_10157149384737736_1169433368937365504_n.jpg.f0e5addccb8a2c65d1af1d2d2ae946d2.jpg

84206815_10157149384832736_7821557319178649600_n.jpg.6b903e9db5cfb44061c5e32a3644319e.jpg

How did the Avante perform on the track?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, humbug said:

Hi old thread and hello again, here is a Schumacher Cougar with a parma rallyecross Ford Fiesta XR2 Turbo.

fiesta1.thumb.jpg.727cda14cb1be0b5a6b7d05f9e6f9c61.jpg

fiesta2.thumb.jpg.0065572bb0122ac931a899e54ff19561.jpg

and yes, on-road racing on a course is a lot of fun, especially when all cars have the same motor.......here is a run of a cup race i attended in season 17 /18, running my TA-05v2, all cars featuring the Carson cup machine 23T brushed motor......i am starting from pole position....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WMjU2sWIUw

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 9:06 PM, Falcon#5 said:

How did the Avante perform on the track?

It went great :) though a bit too much understeer, so setup needs a bit of tuning. Might be impossible to fix as I think its too rear heavy. Though speed wise, she ran great with a trinity speed gems jet (11T double)

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:27 AM, InsaneJim69 said:

I shall just leave this here ......

IMG_20180516_172715.jpg

;):)

James.

I've been for years now looking for the blue-yellow liveried one.

I believe this one is also the Kyosho body, with your own livery to make the 1999 car, right? looks gorg!

What an amazing thread, it appears, built just for me haha. What a shame some of the images dont work anymore, and it appears @a.w.k. doesnt post here anymore :(

• Like 1

I'm glad this thread got bumped. What a fantastic trip down memory lane. Funny thing too, I am still dreaming about the same kits I was dreaming about back then. I was just starting my freshman year at Baylor when I purchased a TA03 with an Airtronics Caliber shortly after David Jun won with one. I ran it for a couple months then sold it for a buggy. I can't even remember which buggy and I kick myself for doing so but I was a dumb kid. If I could jump in the go back machine, I'd grab several more TA03's and a couple of HPI RS4's. 

Also, call me crazy but it's great seeing saddle pack NiCads and nothing but brushed motors. I may be showing my bias but I feel the mid 90's was the high water mark for RC cars. 

• Like 3

Glad this category is still gaining traction. And its still my primary category. Since i've just moved overseas and bought a house, i'll be getting back into the hobby soon once i settle in. Luckily there are 2x race tracks just around the corner from my place 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rinskie said:

I'm glad this thread got bumped. What a fantastic trip down memory lane. Funny thing too, I am still dreaming about the same kits I was dreaming about back then. I was just starting my freshman year at Baylor when I purchased a TA03 with an Airtronics Caliber shortly after David Jun won with one. I ran it for a couple months then sold it for a buggy. I can't even remember which buggy and I kick myself for doing so but I was a dumb kid. If I could jump in the go back machine, I'd grab several more TA03's and a couple of HPI RS4's. 

Also, call me crazy but it's great seeing saddle pack NiCads and nothing but brushed motors. I may be showing my bias but I feel the mid 90's was the high water mark for RC cars. 

How old are you out of curiosity?

I'm 50. My guess is a good many of us are within +/- about 5 years. Maybe we should start a thread where we all list our ages, first car and when we got it?