ALEXKYRIAK

DF-01 Build project (Experimental!)

Hi all. This project represents a first for me. On a whim last summer I decided to pick up a partially complete chassis, the big plan being to complete the build by researching the parts, figuring out how I’d like to build it, and basically turning it into a complete running car.

So from fleabay I picked up this DF-01chassis, partially built:

DF-01 Build

As a base I think it started life as a Manta Ray. It seems to have had some upgrades here and there. The front damper stays were what appeared to be a Top Force frp stay. There were some blue aluminium shock last mounted, one of which was a little bent. It also had some threaded upper arms with adjusters fitted  

DF-01 Build

The front axle hubs were the red plastic ones also from a Top Force (I think). These were mounted with some low profile kingpins - a new part to me, I love them - to silver aluminium c-hubs, brand unknown  

DF-01 Build

The rear was in good shape and less upgraded, with the tall blue shocks mounted to a standard plastic damper mount and standard plastic upper arms 

DF-01 Build

The main drive shaft had been upgraded to Top Force spec, and it had some quite old looking universals fitted front and rear, as shown in the next pic:

DF-01 Build

The gears all seemed to be in good nick, working smoothly, and the chassis appeared to never have been run, it was perfect unscratched plastic.

So this was quite an interesting find, all for about 45 quid if I recall correctly. There’s a bunch of parts missing - it came with only half the steering for example - so to complete this as a project I knew I’d need to hunt around for bits and pieces. 

At this stage I had to start a lot of research into the DF-01 platform and its variants, as I had no knowledge whatsoever on Manta Ray, Terra Conqueror or Top Force. 

Will post part 2 later :) 

• Like 1

So fast forward half a year of procrastination, research, parts sourcing and stockpiling, and general no time for RC, I managed over Xmas break to start the project properly. This is where it’s at:

DF01 build pt2DF01 build pt2DF01 build pt2

Here are some of the steps implemented:

- took apart front and rear lower arms and suspension, and rebuilt them with new aluminium hubs front and rear, and steering knuckles, all from GPM, and turnbuckle steering rods.

- fitted additional low profile king pins to fit with the aluminium parts  

- Shimming where required to remove some slop, and adding pins with e-clips to replace the c-hub pivot  

DF01 build pt2

- added a custom carbon fibre rear damper stay from a Top Force project at fiberlyte. 

- designed and cut a front carbon shock mount, again fabricated at fiberlyte  

Df01DF-01 Build

- fitted TeamC big bore dampers (aluminium body with plastic caps)  

Fitted aluminium steering links with ball bearings, and a low profile servo  

DF-01 Build

It’s  currently mounted on a set of Egress wheels and tyres.

Still to do:

- The body I’ve chosen in the end was from a Terra Conqueror, cut but not yet prepped or painted.

- I still need to source a bunch of small parts, and to install the electrics.

- I may also replace the universals, and the plastic rear upper arms for turnbuckles.

DF-01 Build

DF-01 Build

DF-01 Build

Front shocks:

DF-01 Build

Rear shocks:

DF-01 Build

Aluminium spacers were required at rear shocks:

DF-01 Build

Front:

DF-01 Build

DF-01 Build

DF-01 Build

DF-01 Build

what I’ve loved about this process is that I’ve felt confident enough and knowledgable enough to basically just dive into a car without relying on the manual, being able to fit parts from the spares box where required, and generally know what I’m doing, which is a first for me. In many ways this process has been more fun than doing a ‘traditional’ kit build, so have really enjoyed this so far.

Now I need to agonise on the paint scheme (I’m thinking black, white and red...or maybe blue, white and red... gggrrrrr, can never decide)

Hope you’ve found it interesting! :) 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I like you are going Terra Conqueror too. I loved the look of mine when I had it. 

I think the TC shell is quite interesting. It’s a bit more traditional buggy look than the top force shape, which is a super distinctive design. IMHO the manta ray shell was designed by someone who was trying too hard! It’s a bit OTT for my tastes.

As mentioned I will try a bespoke colour scheme on the TC shell.  Obtained the replica shell from team blue groove and window mask stickers from MCI Racing. 

• Like 1

These are such fantastic buggys for just general playing. Great to drive, lush suspension. 

The only downside is the rear gearbox spreads out and jumps gears (self destructs) under the load of a mildly powerful brushless and grippy tires. If you stick to a sensored 10t or higher and don’t use big heavy grippy tires the drivetrain handles ok. 

The drivetrain is easy to beef up a bit. A combination of a couple of longer screws and M3 nuts will go a long way to stop the top gearbox cover from spreading open. If you want I can take some pictures of mine?

Good choice on the TC shell. It's my favorite as well from the DF01 line-up. It just looks agressive!

Link for those shocks.please!!!!! They look FANTASTIC!

Hi @GTodd, yes no problem:

• Rear shocks are: TeamC 12mm Big Bore Shock Absorber- Rear (2pcs) Product code TS418
  • Front shocks are: TeamC 12mm Big Bore Shock Absorber- Front (2pcs) Product code TS416

Depending on your fitting type and method, and the car / chassis / suspension arm type that you're fitting to, you may need:

• TeamC 6mm Ball Stud Product code TU0423  (although, if I recall, some of these studs come with the above shocks - I think - but please check, as they're super pricey)

I am seriously considering fitting a set of these to my WT-01 build, I think they would be awesome, but the cost of these are a bit eye-watering... I took advantage of a very, very good deal / sale on the ones I purchased for my DF-01. Haven't run these yet on the DF-01 car, hope to in a month or so if/when it's a bit less muddy outside, will let you all know then how they run on this chassis :)

Another tidy looking build. 

When you say you designed your own front tower, what did you change over fibrelytes own TF one? 

Looking forward to seeing this finished. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Man1c M0nk3y .  For the front shock tower, I first measured the dimensions between the holes on the FRP Top Force tower, so as to get a layout to design and draw the tower around. At first I wanted a CF version of the same shape as the TF FRP Mount.

This then allowed be to add more shock holes. Then I started thinking ‘add cross brace’ element, then I though if I’m gonna do that I might as well get the Fiberlyte one, then I thought ‘but I must make my own’! (OCD at 110%)!!! Then I interrogated myself in no uncertain terms, then I sent the order through with my drawing anyway, to heck with it, then I had a lie down and a little bit of a cry.... :blink:

In all seriousness, I made my own partly because of the OCD but mostly because I wanted to fit different length shocks but I wasn’t quite sure at that point what length I might be going for, so designed in some options, but quite liked the idea of doing my own design  

Measuring the holes, and cross checking and cross checking, somehow seems to take me ages. I’ve tried the scanning technique but I never find this to be accurate.

• Like 2

Cool. Nothing wrong with that. I was the same with the body mounts I made for the DT03 to run a different shell. Could have compromised but wouldn’t have been happy. 

Toying with the idea of a different front tower myself (I have the FibreLyte) but don’t know where to begin designing one. 

Nice build though, hurry up with the updates 😂

On 1/7/2019 at 2:14 PM, Tizer said:

The drivetrain is easy to beef up a bit. A combination of a couple of longer screws and M3 nuts will go a long way to stop the top gearbox cover from spreading open. If you want I can take some pictures of mine?

Good choice on the TC shell. It's my favorite as well from the DF01 line-up. It just looks agressive!

That would be a good to see (a guide of sorts!). :)

1 hour ago, dc-arena said:

There’s a few builds on here that have decent enough pictures of the areas this has been done to. 

I have pictures in my TF build as does @jackdaripper and no doubt a few others. 

A few minor updates to the build. Firstly, electrics are in. I tried some cable shortening and heat shrinking to try to keep things neat and tidy:

Various updates

Various updates

Various updates

Managed to mount the esc and servo on the lower deck to maintain a lower centre of gravity (like it matters, but you know how it is.... :)  )

Then I also installed new universals from GPM. These are black and go well with the overall colour scheme:

Various updates

Various updates

Next up will be:

- rear turnbuckle upper arms 

- paint the shell (have agonised over this for three weeks... still can’t decide how to do it. May just have to go super simple)

- get the E Parts to obtain the rear body mount clip piece, and the battery holder.... at 10 pounds for these two tiny bits I am seriously considering making my own)

• Like 3

Given how far this has gone already (and knowing your other builds) I’m thinking your not far off thinking “f*** it” and having carbon plates as the chassis..... (since yeah racing and various other places are offering them at the moment).

• Haha 1

If you haven't trimmed the body already, I would suggest taking your aesthetic eye to it. I trimmed mine to the markers but always felt it was a little shallow and cut a bit high. IMHO I think cutting deeper will look better. 

• Haha 1

@Juls1 noooo....! Do not tempt me! Ok go on then, where did you see them? Just out of curiosity, naturally. ;)

I presume the combination of stock Terra Conqueror shell and a carbon chassis will leave a visible gap? The TC body doesn’t cover much of the side face of the chassis tub as it is and the carbon plate is obvious way thinner than the tub.

@ThunderDragonCy - you’re so right....!!! Wish you’d have posted this two weeks ago. :)   I trimmed the body as per the markers and instantly thought the same thing. I have a second uncut body which I’ll leave some extra on, mainly on the side skirts. The stock market lines make thee body look too flat; not solid enough flanks for such a car. 

What I did do, however, was to leave a bit more at the rear... the standard TC shell has sort of swept, curved cutaway that reveals a lot of the rear.  I left more of this in place to give a bit more solidity to the rear of the body.  

Motto of the post: “Live and Learn” .... ;) 

27 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Do not tempt me! Ok go on then, where did you see them? Just out of curiosity, naturally. ;)

Fibre-Lyte. Do everything for the TF including an Evo front tower. Most expensive for a full set up.

Yeah Racing have a full set now bar battery straps. €99.99 Can no doubt be found in UK just remember seeing it at Tamico.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=231290&lang=eng

And lastly if you do Facebook then there’s a guy on the Tamiya Top Force and Relatives group called Nick Walker who makes them. Cheaper than the above two and well regarded going off the comments. 

@ALEXKYRIAK Oh well. Maybe have a look at the spare body.

If you are looking at the carbon chassis remember that you need the aluminium spindles top force parts bag to space them out where the tub isn't anymore. That can get a it pricey. I got my Terra Conqueror Evo plates from fibre lyte but I asked them in the cheaper carbon 6 material. As for the chassis being exposed, you are correct. I have a genuine top force under tray painted metallic black which did actually fit OK, but would have fit better if I had cut the body deeper 🙄

I still have the undertray knocking about so give me a shout if you go carbon as its just cluttering the place up for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, dc-arena said:

I think this link will work: https://www.facebook.com/Superik21/media_set?set=a.1648583108492766&type=3

It's a gallery of my Top Force. You'll see an M3 nut sitting on top of the rear gearboxcover just in front of the shocktower. You'll also see I've added a brace from the rear shocktower to the gearbox and also on the right side of the gearbox you'll see an M3 nut under the gearbox cover just around where the motormount screws are. Those little additions have made my car keep all gears in place even with a 8.5 turns brushless in it.

7 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I think this link will work: https://www.facebook.com/Superik21/media_set?set=a.1648583108492766&type=3

It's a gallery of my Top Force. You'll see an M3 nut sitting on top of the rear gearboxcover just in front of the shocktower. You'll also see I've added a brace from the rear shocktower to the gearbox and also on the right side of the gearbox you'll see an M3 nut under the gearbox cover just around where the motormount screws are. Those little additions have made my car keep all gears in place even with a 8.5 turns brushless in it.

Not quite. It goes to your profile for me but then clicking on photos and albums you can find the Top Force ones. 

I’d like to know what that rear wing mount is if you care to share. 

12 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Fibre-Lyte. Do everything for the TF including an Evo front tower. Most expensive for a full set up.

... of course, I knew that, brain fade. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If you are looking at the carbon chassis remember that you need the aluminium spindles top force parts bag to space them out where the tub isn't anymore.

Yes this is good advice, thanks. Will look at the Top Force manual to work out the pieces. I actually have an unbuilt TF kit in box, and I keep promising myself I’ll ensure it’s built stock and box art (apart from hi-caps set I got for it, and possibly carbon chassis) rather than going off piste with it like I sometimes do. Like making it into an Evo for example....

Bsck to my body paint job/finish conundrum... I think I have a unique angle to this one. Currently under development, but will mean it’ll be a few weeks until I can post some pics....! :)  

• Like 1