Sign in to follow this  
Pumesta

cc01 diff binding

Hi everyone.  I have almost finished a Defender, and have noticed that the rear diff feels to be binding up intermittently.  Some times it will be fine and others it gets very stiff.  Does anyone have any advise of what I should check before I randomly start taking things apart.  Also when it happens only one rear wheel turns, which with the locked diff should not be happening 

There are two small plastic spacers that go just inside the cir-clips, easy to overlook, if not fitted it can mean the cir-clips rub on the axle casing ends causing bind. Don't ask me how I know!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pumesta said:

Also when it happens only one rear wheel turns, which with the locked diff should not be happening 

If one wheel turns with a locked diff, then something is very wrong/broke.

Your best bet is strip it down and take a good look at everything, especially the splined holes on the diff gears, where they mate with the drive shafts
If the diff is locked properly but one wheel spins, that would suggest either the drive splines in the gear are stripped, the gear itself is broken or the shaft's broken.

If there's no breakage on SA7/SA8 and the dowels are in the wheel hexes correctly, check these:

Splines inside BG2

bg2.jpg

Splines on SA7/SA8

bg3.jpg

Whats that all about then? just taken it apart and the three screws that hold the two parts halfs together had backed out and where laying in the bottom of the diff casing :o :blink:

Are the threads stripped in SA2?

It's made of alu, so dead easy to wreck 😣

10 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Are the threads stripped in SA2?

It's made of alu, so dead easy to wreck 😣

I don't think so, they went back in and appeared to tighten up ok.  Perhaps I should have put a bit of thread lock on them ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pumesta said:

I don't think so, they went back in and appeared to tighten up ok.  Perhaps I should have put a bit of thread lock on them ?

Short answer is yes, use threadlock on rear diff.

I've had this same thing happen with my CC01, and the loosened screw actually ate its way through most of the axle housing before I caught it. :wacko: Fortunately the threads in the diff housing were fine, so after replacing the chewed up plastic axle housing and applying some threadlock, the repair has held for many, many hours of use.

• Like 1