Silverado

TT-01 BMW E30 shelf king build

Brief bit of history here: My rc hobby started with Kyosho Double Dare, and because that awesome(I really loved it)  monster truck was crap quality wise I bought my second rc car much, much later.  

My first touring chassis was TT-01D RX7, and it was the first kit I ever build.  I really dont like the platform or much anything at all about the TT really, but somehow this BMW is #3 I have bought new :p

(I have owned and raced Yokomo, TRF 417 and Awesomatix so plastic tub is not really that cool to me)

I just had to buy it cause they seem to be going out of stock everywhere. And somehow I bought another TT-01E chassis kit , for rally build and that is where TT-01 is pretty nice at.

However, this build Is going to be build just for display, but will add bearings etc to it anyway. -Box art , or as close I can get to it.

I was surprised that TBLE-02s esc was included, was sure this kit was 2004 stock but maybe not :p

Will start the build soon, need to finish my TB-03 merc first.

1.jpg

• Like 9

Started the build finally last night.

Filled my Tamiya cup with Coke and went for it.

49896923_958375684333141_5551837540429856768_n.jpg.d3c93117b95cdbf6545aa63fd8224a89.jpg

First the spur assembly. Decided to ditch the plastic bushings and install ball bearings.

1.jpg

Spur assembly complete.

2.jpg

Next the driveshaft was installed.(carbon reinforced plastic,like the diffs, this is not the 2004 kit imo...).

4.jpg.b1738376df63be7b7bb510c3a71e98b0.jpg

Motor time.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Hot motor...lol

7.jpg

Diffs

8.jpg

Gears lubed and assembled

9.jpg

Not a lot of grease needed.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Rear arms and shock tower

12.jpg

With dogbones,hubs etc.

13.jpg

Front arms with pivot balls

14.jpg

Front diff going in. All bushings have changed to bearings 

15.jpg

16.jpg

Shocks...or just spring holders.

17.jpg

18.jpg

Steering bits

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Body posts,wheels  and rest of tiny bits on and it is ready for electrics next.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Cup is empty, and I need to take a break.

24.jpg

Next I need to think what electronics to put in. wont drive this at all but still needs to be complete.

Notice the black handle on the left. Tamiya JIS driver. best tool ever fot basic tamiya kit builds.

Any one have link to window masks? would like to order perfect pre cut set. This kit is suppose to be painted all white, even windows... and cover the white windows using window stickers... That is a big no no no.

• Like 2

I’ve had the same bodyshell as you for about 7 years now and haven't got round to doing anything with it yet. I didn’t realise it didn’t come with window masks, i’ll be looking for a set too. 

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses 

My 2nd TT-01 (TT-01E D M3)  did come with masks so it must be just this specific kit I think that does not include these, check if your body set does include these, I thing it does.

I may just use masking tape.

Just now, graemevw said:

Would the decals be too sticky to use on the inside as masks? 

I think so and they look to be a bit too large. And would like to save them for later.

Plans changed cause of the horrible kit decal quality. -I have never seen this bad stuff in Tamiya kits. Hard plastic decals that cant be repositioned at all just rips. and the roof decal is few mm too small.(did not try to pull it larger with heat)

These new are much better and flexible. (and I dont drink so Motor oil sponsor suits me better then beer lol).

A new sponsor...

52607860_982503128587063_1788780769850687488_n.jpg

Next the mask will be painted and then it is time for the interior

• Like 5

Painted the mask and tried the bare metai foil on kidneys. looks ok, some touch ups needed but not too bad.

Next bodylines and I need to order touring car interior for this.

Also I need to figure out the front diffusor, so unevenly cut... maybe I´ll try some sand paper ,cant trust scissors on that :p

7.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

Bodylines and finished front.

Thinking about the interior... full scale or just the Tamiya touring car interior...

And the window trims need something, dont like the whiteish laminating on them. looks really crappy. Like I wrote earlier, the decals on this kit are not too high quality,hence the Fina ones.

My race and road legal E30´s 

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 3

That’s a bummer about the decals. I have one of these kits to build and would like to build it with the schnitzer livery to compliment my road car build. 

Is that and HPI body on your gray one on the left?

15 minutes ago, Shodog said:

That’s a bummer about the decals. I have one of these kits to build and would like to build it with the schnitzer livery to compliment my road car build. 

Is that and HPI body on your gray one on the left?

I think the decals will work if they are heated a bit when installing these. I did not do that and the roof decal was a bit too narrow. the hood decal ripped when I tried to reposition mine. This is most likely my fault, but the glue si super strong and the decals are thin and hard.

The gray M3 is TBG copy of Tamiya. different rear bumper etc but looks ok.

I revoked the shelf queen status.

After the video it had full rally transformation. with a lot of more power...

• Like 3