Sign in to follow this  
Pablo68

Assessing Tamiyas Drivers

It all started years ago with Greg Martin. About 30 years on and off it turns out.
He started out terrible, breaking things all the time, but got better eventually.

Next was Albert Attaboy. He was ok, but kept shredding those godawful driveshafts. I still drive with him today after a big break, and better drive shafts.
He does tend to rollover from time to time though. The other day he nosed over. But he's ok I guess.

Ray Lynch is surprisingly good, for such and old guy. Well balanced actually. Haven't driven with him much though.

Tony Toudor, haven't driven with him enough yet, still figuring him out. He goes ok so far though. I dunno, I expected more character.

Glenn Morris is suprisingly good, even now, however out of date he might be. Does sometimes grip roll and bend his antennas though.

Ted Eager Edwards. Another one I havent driven with a lot yet. Once again, figuring him out. Seems pretty planted though.

Freddie Wilson or Frantic Freddie as he is somtimes called. I can see why he is so frantic, probably worried that his car is going to fall in half. Honestly, he needs to settle a bit. He can't do the slightest thing without breaking something.
He does go ok when he's not falling to bits though.

How was this mob for you guys?

• Like 1

Eh, my only experiences were with "Shakey" Roop - I felt he was quite underrated; a good driver in bad F1-style machinery, like Pedro Chaves! Like a Formula 1 racer, his Striker could be hard to handle uneven terrain, but once a rhythm was established, it became quite easy, if full of understeer. I never doubted his competence, despite the unfortunate nickname :P

• Haha 2

Interesting that Greg Martin broke so many parts when driving for your team. When driving under my banner, he has been very respectful of his ride, hardly putting a mark on it. This may be because he was mentored by his older team mate Frank Evans, who has a more measured driving style, having had to learn to make the most of a smaller power plant and less advanced suspension.

Crash Cramer too has proven surprisingly responsible given his name, although this might be because he is under strict team orders not to do anything that might risk his delicate suspension!

Slippery Sam has been an interesting chap to have around, as initially his enthusiasm exceeded the structural integrity of his rear gearbox, but now that this has been modded, he hasn't recorded any more DNFs and is proving to be quite an asset to the team.

Barfin' Barry on the other hand has proven to be even more enthusiastic than Sam, but he has yet to find the limits of his car's structural integrity. And that had not been through lack of trying!

• Like 1

i remember "shakey roops" maiden  run n xmas eve day....bak in 1987.:)....1st corner fine..:D..2nd corner  ok'ish..:huh:..then  *** end  all over the shop ..:o..then bam!....straight into a gate post.....:rolleyes:....killed the rear of his  chassis were the arm socket is..:lol:...needless to say that was the end of his short driving  career ....as pit manager...(my mum)....went mental :angry::angry::angry:.......:lol::lol::lol:

20190108_141819

• Haha 1

Don’t forget Al Ernat. 

0F3F1D83-888A-43A4-AA60-D506DDB4A5A5_zps

Alan was a hobby shop employee that worked at a shop named D&J Hobby in Campbell California which enjoyed a cozy relationship with Tamiya. Story goes that they needed a driver name for the super champ but didn’t want to pay royalty’s so Al offered his for free.  I was able to persuade him to sign the bottom of my super champ body 

image_zps5f4188de.jpg

Sadly Alan passed away on 1/9/18 of cancer. He was a cool dude, knowledgeable and always willing to help you out. 

• Like 6

Vanessa ran off with half my drivers. Never trust a SoCal blonde. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I made Ramblin' Ron wear a helmet for safety reasons, he somehow removed his name from the door of his Blackfoot. Ithink he doesn't want to be recognized while wearing a safety device... You can see that he really needs one though. 

DSC_2263.JPG

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Shodog said:

Don’t forget Al Ernat. 

image_zpsc858d729.jpg

Al was an actual person. A hobby shop employee that worked at a shop named D&J Hobby which enjoyed a cozy relationship with Tamiya. Story goes that they needed a driver name for the super champ but didn’t want to pay royalty’s so Al offered his for free. Sadly he passed away a few years ago but not before signing the bottom of my super champ body 

image_zps5f4188de.jpg

Thats Awseome!!

• Like 2

Surly u have there the most sought after built or unbuilt super champ...:o..EVER!...do u know  if he signed any others?

• Like 2

He used to have a reputation for clinical and efficient driving, almost robot like. Few drivers have the discipline, control and sheer talent that Kumamon possessed. 

But then the cruel illness came and took it all away from him.

His heart is still in it but thanks to the cocktail of painkillers he takes for those cancerous growths on his cheeks, he's become crazed and unpredictable. Most days he can be found doing endless donuts at the beach whilst cackling to himself.

OpqyUC5.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

He used to have a reputation for clinical and efficient driving, almost robot like. Few drivers have the discipline, control and sheer talent that Kumamon possessed. 

But then the cruel illness came and took it all away from him.

OpqyUC5.jpg

Oh, what could have been :( 😢

16 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Interesting that Greg Martin broke so many parts when driving for your team. When driving under my banner, he has been very respectful of his ride, hardly putting a mark on it. This may be because he was mentored by his older team mate Frank Evans, who has a more measured driving style, having had to learn to make the most of a smaller power plant and less advanced suspension.

Crash Cramer too has proven surprisingly responsible given his name, although this might be because he is under strict team orders not to do anything that might risk his delicate suspension!

Slippery Sam has been an interesting chap to have around, as initially his enthusiasm exceeded the structural integrity of his rear gearbox, but now that this has been modded, he hasn't recorded any more DNFs and is proving to be quite an asset to the team.

Barfin' Barry on the other hand has proven to be even more enthusiastic than Sam, but he has yet to find the limits of his car's structural integrity. And that had not been through lack of trying!

Well early on it was on account of Greg Martins inexperience, and the darn MSC he had to use, it was either on or off, never could get it right. It was mostly bodies though that got wrecked, and those darn fuses.
I did eventually employ Frank Evans albeit on the same car, much more durable.
Greg is back these days and much improved. Frank is retired and hanging above my RC workbench.

Ooh! I forgot all about Barry Volkson Jr.
Fun, definitely a fun driver. Nowhere near as erratic as Albert Attaboy.