Doc Hollywood

King yellow body advice

Hi

I am building a G601 6X6 king yellow and thought I would tackle the body first but I have never built a Tamiya car with a polycarbonate body. I have cut some of it out but I haven't quite cut to the lines so wondering if I could use a file to finish it off?

Any other hints or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:) 

Small files and sandpaper are useful tools for final body trimming. Wrapping sandpaper around a suitably sized round object makes a handy way of getting wheelarches nice and evenly rounded. Smaller round objects such as pens or small tubes work well for smaller curves. 

• Like 3

If you have a dremel, the little round sanding discs work well. Just start with a slow speed and adjust it to what feels good to you. If you start on full speed it's easy to sand too far.

• Like 1

Dremel with sanding drums on slow or even the grinding stone bits. I use a full size metal file for long straight runs and a selection of needle files for detail. Then finish with some fine sandpaper just to get rid of any fuzzies. I spend ages doing this tho......sigh

• Like 1

It may be too late now, if you just need to trim off a little bit, but for future reference: for straight lines on Lexan bodies, I usually use the "score and snap" method. Use a brand-new fresh X-Acto blade, and score the body along the cut lines, right on the line. It doesn't take much pressure, just enough to cut through the overspray mask and scribe a line in the plastic. Then fold the excess away from the cut line, and it should break off cleanly, and not require any further cleanup.

You can also do this on wheel arches, but it takes a little more practice, and a very steady hand to follow the lines neatly.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of fancy tools, but curved scissors are useful for wheel arches.  

Cp6wKTE.jpg

xfFFD36.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all

thank you for all of the tips and advice it is much appreciated and I shall have to remember it all for when I finish off the king yellow body or if I do another body. Thanks again, all help is appreciated and welcomed.:):)