Sign in to follow this  
Pablo68

Suspension Geometry

Sorting out suspension geometry on your own-ish design is not fun.
Especially when you admittedly don't know much about it. Especially when it comes to eliinating bump steer.

Just saying.

Actually I may have gone part way to cracking it (the problem)

It seems to be an issue with the angle of the tie rods etc. They have to be the same or really close all the way through the action of the susp arm.

Hmmmm.

What is the specific problem? I have done a bit of puzzling with this when I was trying to place the upper ball studs on my GH2 front suspension conversion. 

On 1/10/2019 at 3:23 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

What is the specific problem? I have done a bit of puzzling with this when I was trying to place the upper ball studs on my GH2 front suspension conversion. 

Movement, toe out when the suspension arm moves up.
I'm slowly nutting it out, but a re-design may well haveto happen anyway.

2 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Movement, toe out when the suspension arm moves up.
I'm slowly nutting it out, but a re-design may well haveto happen anyway.

Bump steer (which is what you are describing) can be neutralised by lining up the angle of the steering rod with the lower wishbone as a rough guide. Add spacers under the ball stud or flip the steering knuckles from side to side to get the ball end upside down. There are a few adjustments you can do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Bump steer (which is what you are describing) can be neutralised by lining up the angle of the steering rod with the lower wishbone as a rough guide. Add spacers under the ball stud or flip the steering knuckles from side to side to get the ball end upside down. There are a few adjustments you can do. 

Yep, I'll try all that.

Yeah, that's it. Keep the tie rod level with the lower sus arm. Now, As soon as you introduce camber, caster, King Pin Inclination, that all starts falling apart, because that will all work against you, so don't be discouraged, you might just have to live with bump steer to a certain degree.

Aonther idea could be to set it up as to limit bump steer at a certain steering angle, depending on your course and driving and where you need it most. Maybe.

• Like 1