graemevw

Dyeing shocks

Thought id have a go. Not bad, not quite the bright tamiya red id hoped for. 

This was a white shock, maybe try dyeing a yellow one?

20190111_132841.jpg

• Like 1

Its a bit darker in real life than it looks in the pic, but needed to go that dark to stop it looking pink.

Tried a bit of yellow sprue and it looks muddier.

This is white on the left, then yellow, then chrome.

20190111_135619.jpg

Would it be possible to dye them a second time to make the color brighter?

11 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Would it be possible to dye them a second time to make the color brighter?

I think it would just go darker. I used Rit scarlet, i think its just the shade of red it goes. It looks good enough for now. One day tamiya will release something with red new style cva's and ill be able to get proper parts.

I cut them from the sprue before dyeing, but strangely, where they were cut hasnt really took the dye.

So glad you did this, I have a set of white shocks & some Scarlett red Rit as I was hoping to dye them to go on a Bear Hawk. I’m wondering if the Dylon dye would be more vivid.

Edit: Looks like Cherry red may be the one to go for!

21 minutes ago, max69vk said:

So glad you did this, I have a set of white shocks & some Scarlett red Rit as I was hoping to dye them to go on a Bear Hawk. I’m wondering if the Dylon dye would be more vivid.

The cherry looks a little dull. Id say the dylon scarlet maybe as looking at the charts it seems brighter.

I may have got away with dying them a little less, but it was always looking a little dull rather than the bright red of tamiya parts.

8 minutes ago, graemevw said:

The cherry looks a little dull. Id say the dylon scarlet maybe as looking at the charts it seems brighter.

I may have got away with dying them a little less, but it was always looking a little dull rather than the bright red of tamiya parts.

I might try it on some sprue purely for comparison, thankfully it’s not that expensive. Interesting effect it had on the chrome parts, it makes it look almost anodised.

Just looked at dylon, maybe tulip? 

Interestingly, the chrome only took on the shiny side, the dull chrome back of parts didnt dye. Dyed chrome looks great, but it only really went pink. Might take alot longer than normal plastic or might just not take dye as well. Gives loads of options though.

Also, the white bit on the sprue was where i had an elastic band ties to it so masking before dyeing is also possible. Tie dye shocks, patterned dyed chrome wheels, could use copydex or wax to mask the outside of chrome wheels and dye the inside whatever you wanted for colour tinted chrome centers.

13 hours ago, graemevw said:

I cut them from the sprue before dyeing, but strangely, where they were cut hasnt really took the dye.

I've experienced that too. I believe it is because the material gets compressed when you cut. After all, the dye enters the material because it's hygroscopic and the less porous the material is, the harder it will be for the dye to enter. It might help cutting with a really sharp scalpel to reduce the force/compression in the cut area, instead of using a Tamiya cutter, like I've done most of the time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, graemevw said:

JInterestingly, the chrome only took on the shiny side, the dull chrome back of parts didnt dye. Dyed chrome looks great, but it only really went pink. Might take alot longer than normal plastic or might just not take dye as well. Gives loads of options though.

Most, if not all Tamiya chromed parts are covered with a varnish. On shiny parts, the varnish is often not applied in places that aren't visible when mounted or which are discarded anyway, like the sprue itself. So the explanation for the mentioned effect, is probably that the chrome isn't hygroscopic, so it doesn't take on the dye, whereas the varnish does. If you wash off the varnish with a quick dip in cellulose thinner or acetone, the colour will probably be gone too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, max69vk said:

I generally choose a lighter colour dye than the colour I want on the plastic parts. Dyeing (white) plastics, the result tends to come out darker than when using the same colour on fabrics. With regard to (white) CVAII's, I've dyed them in yellow and pink so far. I intended to get a relatively dark yellow (same yellow as on the Bullhead) and a hot pink, so I used normal bright yellow Dylon for the dark yellow and for the pink I used Tamiya's own fluorescent pink dye. The WR-02 parts seen were dyed using the same colours.

12366259_773588972768041_631451338550008

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well... this gives me an idea for the white shocks to my DT03.  I have the green metallic version, but the white shocks included don’t fit in with the vibe for me.  I was thinking of buying or trading for some black ones, but I might just try dyeing my white ones.  I have some green Rit dye hanging out.  Hmmm....

9 minutes ago, kwkenuf said:

Well... this gives me an idea for the white shocks to my DT03.  I have the green metallic version, but the white shocks included don’t fit in with the vibe for me.  I was thinking of buying or trading for some black ones, but I might just try dyeing my white ones.  I have some green Rit dye hanging out.  Hmmm....

GO GREEN!!!

i couldnt decide so my lunchbox has one white shock, one red, one yellow and one black :)

54 minutes ago, graemevw said:

GO GREEN!!!

i couldnt decide so my lunchbox has one white shock, one red, one yellow and one black :)

Are your shocks CVA’s?  Is there even a deference between the material used in the different shocks?  I had pretty much written off dyeing Tamiya parts,  due to most of their parts not taking too it.

After seeing this pic on FB, I pretty well decided I didn’t want white shocks.  Is this somebody’s on this site?  I’ve put together a couple users on here with their FB identities.

2694A979-38B5-4797-A3CF-C7A3E08C1567.jpeg

3 minutes ago, kwkenuf said:

Are your shocks CVA’s?  Is there even a deference between the material used in the different shocks?  I had pretty much written off dyeing Tamiya parts,  due to most of their parts not taking too it.

Yep, the newer type of cva's though, which the white ones will be. Im not sure about what vintage cva's are made of.

I would have just found a vintage red one but i knew i wanted a mix of colours and white are only available in the new style.

Come on tamiya, release something with red shocks again!

3 minutes ago, kwkenuf said:

After seeing this pic on FB, I pretty well decided I didn’t want white shocks.  Is this somebody’s on this site?  I’ve put together a couple users on here with their FB identities.

2694A979-38B5-4797-A3CF-C7A3E08C1567.jpeg

Yeah, they need to be green. Maybe light green though. Id be tempted to maybe try and do mottled green on that, or mix and match black and green.

No point dyeing white ones black, the black parts are cheap, cheaper than white!

3 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Yeah, they need to be green. Maybe light green though. Id be tempted to maybe try and do mottled green on that, or mix and match black and green.

No point dyeing white ones black, the black parts are cheap, cheaper than white!

I also thought of getting another body and wheels so I can match the white shocks.  Keep the special green stuff nice because they won’t be making them forever.

This is weird. I have white cvas too but mine didn't take dye at all.... Like zero... 

20 minutes ago, Ann3x said:

This is weird. I have white cvas too but mine didn't take dye at all.... Like zero... 

Really? What dye? Did you get it hot? The test piece i did went pink almost straight away. I dyed the shock pictured for about 15-20 mins keeping it hot (i put dye in old tin can and put tin can in a pan of water on the hob).

Were they unused?

I really wish i had got more of those CW01 cva short 4 packs before they discontiued them. Such a bargain. I never got any of the white ones.

I didn't realise they were made out of the right material to take dye.

10 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I really wish i had got more of those CW01 cva short 4 packs before they discontiued them. Such a bargain. I never got any of the white ones.

I didn't realise they were made out of the right material to take dye.

I assume they are the same material as all the white cva's? Short white bodies are easily available.

4 hours ago, graemevw said:

Really? What dye? Did you get it hot? The test piece i did went pink almost straight away. I dyed the shock pictured for about 15-20 mins keeping it hot (i put dye in old tin can and put tin can in a pan of water on the hob).

Were they unused?

Unused shocks, rit, boiling water for 45m. 

I've dyed tons of stuff and it just wasn't taking. 

I wonder if the plastic varies with cvas.