ninyule

Configuring an M-05 Chassis - help please!

Hi all

Santa bought me a lovely Charleston kit to celebrate my return to the hobby after an 18-year absence. I had built a Hummer in 2000, preceded by a Beetle in 1982, but gave up both times because the models just were too darn fast and difficult to control. Thanks to the wonderful ESC those issues are now solved!

I have finished my M-05 chassis, but as you can see from the photo, with the servo in neutral, neither front wheel is lined up properly. Can anyone advise which bit(s) I should adjust?? As a born-again newbie I'm at a bit of a loss...

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Ninian Yule

IMG_0390.JPG

Looks like you just need to adjust the length of the tie rod from the servo. Looks like it needs to be shorter. Step 20 in the manual

• Like 1

Hello and welcome 

Is the reciver and transmitter turned on there? Sometimes park is different to live.

As Butler said, a little less or more on the connection rod might help to start with but once it starts moving and the slop is taken up then the adjustment on the transmitter will get it going in a straight line

Good luck, please feed back and hang around for a while

• Like 1

The M-05 is a lovely chassis to drive, once set up properly you can blast it around most corners without having to even lift off the throttle.

It can get a bit squirrelly in a straight line though, and to this end a bit of toe out helps. You don't want the front wheels pointing straight ahead. Having them pointing ever so slightly outwards is a good idea. You achieve this by adjusting the length of the small rods that link the uprights to the steering rack on each side.

Good luck with your setup and test drive!

• Like 1

I should get myself a M05...

Welcome to Tamiya Club (where it's real easy to add several cars to your fleet...)

I started in the 80s like many members here, I thought I grew out of it.  In 2000, I realized that I didn't.  Once again, it got re-restarted in 2017.  I had to learn about digital radios that remember 10 cars, brushless motors, and LiPo batteries!  Bearings used to be really expensive. Nowadays, ten of them cost $2.  I got that "welcome to the 21st century" shock.  I hope it's going to be a fun ride for you too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same here, I got a DT01 and M03 as a kid back in ‘97.

now in 2018 I bought myself again a M03, immidiately it is build hopup’d with gearing upgrades, CVD’a, oil shocks, and now it will get also M05RA uprights for better ground clearance.

I also own a M05 with a Fiat Abarth 1000TCR body, its got also some upgrades,  upgraded to M05 ver2 to fit in lipo battery packs, havent run it yet! 

But your problem seems to be with centering the servo horn.

what often happens, when you build a car, and instal electrica first without binding it all before, the servo horno moves 2deg to ledt or right and centers itself. You can remove the servo horn and re-adjust it. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who took the time to advise and welcome an ancient decrepit newbie (65!) It just needed a slight adjustment to the tie rod to the servo. All working fine now. I amaze myself at how easy it was to set up...I did find the build itself quite difficult, especially those bloomin' screws that tighten up too early in their holes!

Have just finished masking my first bodyshell (Mazda Demio) and have now sprayed the first colour (black). I deliberately chose this shell as it only needs two colours! First time also that I have ever masked and sprayed the inside of anything - at one point I had it sat on my head while masking!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, ninyule said:

Santa bought me a lovely Charleston kit to celebrate my return to the hobby after an 18-year absence. I had built a Hummer in 2000, preceded by a Beetle in 1982, but gave up both times because the models just were too darn fast and difficult to control. Thanks to the wonderful ESC those issues are now solved!

Hello,

I wouldn't call you a newbie, i would call you a frequent hobbyist, you have a steady frequency of  1,76e-9 Hz    (18Y/car, if i calculated correctly.....:D)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ninyule said:

Thanks to all who took the time to advise and welcome an ancient decrepit newbie (65!) It just needed a slight adjustment to the tie rod to the servo. All working fine now. I amaze myself at how easy it was to set up...I did find the build itself quite difficult, especially those bloomin' screws that tighten up too early in their holes!

Glad you got it sorted!

I agree regarding the chassis build - it is surprisingly complex, with several different screw sizes and multiple mouldings where other similar cars use significantly fewer. 

How are you planning on using it, and are you planning any mods or hop-ups?

• Like 1

Very much just into rc as a pastime - definitely not a racer! I shall just buy several bodyshells and pootle about the odd empty industrial estate at weekends! On that basis unlikely to get any hop-ups, though you never know. Although it's not bad, already a bit dissatisfied with my Carson radio and its lack of memory.

Now that I have more money to spare, my next step will be a CC-01, probably the very tempting Land Rover Defender. And again some more bodyshells...

Then I'll probably get a TT-02 and leave it at that. Although I do fancy a Dancing Rider. Darn you, Tamiya!