Dirt-540

Boomerang VS Super Hotshot

Looking at buying a rere Boomerang or Super Hotshot for racing, but I just cant make my mind up. I have so many questions!!! So please guys, all your opinions are welcome no matter what. 

So far I'm thinking Boomer because ease of maintenance, its lighter, and a few have said it handles better than the Super Hotshot. I would say its cheaper too, but once I add ballraces and a front dual shock upgrade there's hardly anything in it price wise. 

Other things I'm querying is; I cant seem to find a dual shock upgrade?  Is there a propshaft available for it (the centre one that connects the drive from rear to front)?

Thanks in advance ;)

Boomer seems to be the one for vintage racing. Especially with a Boomerwig conversion, which is the Big Wig front twin shock conversion. You need the big wig C parts and F parts sprues for the front arms and shock towers. For the prop shaft you need the ReRe super hotshot parts. Gearbox out drives and shaft. 

• Like 2

out of the box the HotShot will be better BUT the chassis makes it a nightmare for working at. So the Boomer with upgrades will give you the better platform to work with in long run.

• Like 1

I have both so here's my 2 cents worth.

What I liked about the Boomerang: It feels lighter and certainly a bit simpler to work on. The steering system is better and the Boomer legitimately turns better. The bumpsteer has been dialed out. The rear suspension is nice with the shocks tucked ahead of the rear arms. Much more integrated into the design.

What I didn't like about the Boomerang: The steering (in my case) requires some attention/maintenance every so often. If sticks and debris found its way into the sliding steering bar mechanism, it would jam. Just my experience. The chassis is more flexible. I can literally twist the car torsion-ally in my hands fairly easily. As part of that, I hate the battery door. Its hard ABS and relies on tiny molded-in hooks at the rear it hold it on. There's actual a good bit of stress on this part as it's supposed to alleviate front to back flexing. I found the one-piece bumper a bit more fragile than the Super Hot Shot's two piece unit. Obviously, the car lacks bearings and has the flimsy prop shaft, but you're aware of that.

What I liked about the Super Hot Shot: The chassis is stout. Being boxed plus overlaid with a rollcage makes it both stiffer and more durable, even in rollovers. Full bearings and a good prop shaft plus 4 shocks are nice to have right away. The steering is fool proof and never jams. The battery door is much more secure

What I didn't like about the SHS: Reaching the radio gear is a pain BUT, in these days of reliable ESCs, I almost never need to go in the radio box. It does have the HS2's access hatch for small jobs. The shocks are "tacked on". Tamiya did a clever job of adding them to the Hot Shot design but they still are added on and not integrated like the Boomer's. The bumpsteer is pretty bad and the car understeers. I've learned to adapt my driving style but the Boomer clearly steers better.

These are my personal findings with both cars. I do/did not intend to offend owners of either buggy. Other folks  experiences may vary. They are both great Tamiya buggies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Maybe I just need a bigwig! Always a cool car! Once I finish my Voltron Lego I'll need another project to keep me occupied. I am still debating on a Cat XLS.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Maybe I just need a bigwig! Always a cool car! Once I finish my Voltron Lego I'll need another project to keep me occupied. I am still debating on a Cat XLS

The Bigwig is the only car of the series I haven't driven (mine's a shelfer). The rack and pinion seems like Tamiya's final attempt to fix the Hot Shot series steering. Better geometry like the Boomer/Super Sabre but better protected as well all hooked up to a big ol' bathtub chassis to swallow the awesome power of the 8.4v Gold Power battery.

How's the Voltron Lego? I just finished my Lego X-Wing and the Voltron is very tempting. I'm a diehard G1 Transformers fan but Voltron is basically a combiner.

I'm also still debating the Cat XLS. It was just so competitive (yet elusive in my area), I just want to experience it. My dislike of belts and low tolerance for missing parts and/or ill-fitting parts keeps me away for now. Decades of Tamiya (and now the Kyosho re-res) spoiled me.

8 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

Looking at buying a rere Boomerang or Super Hotshot for racing, but I just cant make my mind up. I have so many questions!!! So please guys, all your opinions are welcome no matter what. 

So far I'm thinking Boomer because ease of maintenance, its lighter, and a few have said it handles better than the Super Hotshot. I would say its cheaper too, but once I add ballraces and a front dual shock upgrade there's hardly anything in it price wise. 

Other things I'm querying is; I cant seem to find a dual shock upgrade?  Is there a propshaft available for it (the centre one that connects the drive from rear to front)?

Thanks in advance ;)

Are you racing? Or is this a just for fun build?  If your vintage racing, I would try to sway you to a Top Force instead. Its a great deal better in performance than any of the Hot Shot series. That being said, Yes, the Boomerang is much easier to work on, and has good handling. Another option is a BigWig which comes with full bearings, and a GT tuned motor. Not to mention it has the 4 CVA shocks already. It has the Shot gearbox's, and open style chassis like the Boomerang, and a sealed steering rack. Its not as light as the Boomer, but not as heavy as a Super Hot Shot either.  Or you can get one of each.......problem solved

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

The Bigwig is the only car of the series I haven't driven (mine's a shelfer). The rack and pinion seems like Tamiya's final attempt to fix the Hot Shot series steering. Better geometry like the Boomer/Super Sabre but better protected as well all hooked up to a big ol' bathtub chassis to swallow the awesome power of the 8.4v Gold Power battery.

How's the Voltron Lego? I just finished my Lego X-Wing and the Voltron is very tempting. I'm a diehard G1 Transformers fan but Voltron is basically a combiner.

I'm also still debating the Cat XLS. It was just so competitive (yet elusive in my area), I just want to experience it. My dislike of belts and low tolerance for missing parts and/or ill-fitting parts keeps me away for now. Decades of Tamiya (and now the Kyosho re-res) spoiled me.

I'm a Lego nerd, having a young family has rationalized my rejuvenated love for it. I spent 2018 building the UCS Millennium Falcon and Technic GT3 with my six year old son. The Voltron is AMAZING, Im quite shocked it didn't melt the internet when it was released. We've built the Yellow and Green lions already, we are starting the black lion tonight. Lego did an amazing job capturing the designer's idea and the og Voltron's features .

I've been waiting for an Astute Rere since Tamiya started releasing the coffee can cars with the Avante. Now that it's here I can't believe I haven't purchased it yet, maybe it's because subconsciously I'm waiting for the OG Astute. Before the Boomerang came back for a second Rere I regretted not purchasing one. Now we have available at the same time the Supershot, boomerang, hotshot, and bigwig. I never had any of those cars. I feel like I need to get one before they are all gone and then I'll have missed the boat again. All I've ever had were Tamiya's race focused cars: Top Force, Astute, and Monster Racer. Now I have a Rere Egress, my child hood Monster Racer, childhood Top Force, and Rere Bruiser. I think I need something different. Hence the procrastination with the Astute and the unease in which car is next. Seeing how the Cat isn't a Tamiya I'm heavily leaning in it's favor. Then there is the clone Rere bruiser.........

• Like 1

I have to say, the Boomer is winning so far... lighter, better steering, slightly more ground clearance, easier maintenance. 

Does anybody know how to go dual shock on the Boomer using the Super Hotshots metal uprights?

5 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Boomerang is also VASTLY better looking ;)

I dont know about that... I prefer the Super Hotshot myself but the Boomer is a close 2nd for me with that lovely low slung front. I love both of them in equal measure to be fair, but, I can only buy one or it'll cost me my marridge :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dirt-540 said:

I dont know about that... I prefer the Super Hotshot myself but the Boomer is a close 2nd for me with that lovely low slung front. I love both of them in equal measure to be fair, but, I can only buy one or it'll cost me my marridge :D

Just tell her they had a 2 for 1 offer.

• Haha 1

I have both a Boomerang and a Manta Ray among my All Purpose General Abuse cars, and all I can say is the stock DF-01s handling is so far ahead of the stock Boomerang, it's actually coming up from behind... In comparison, Boomerang handles like a brick. A very lazy brick. And this is coming from a mostly Manta Ray despising lifelong Boomerang fan... 

But in terms of general survivability, Boomerang reigns supreme. My car is so ridiculously overpowered that it can do backflips from standstill and becomes airborne onroad, but somehow, it doesn't break. The DF-01 on the other hand - while less ridiculously overpowered - constantly chews gears (even the plastic set), throw shafts, loses shock towers or other random parts, and pops gear box covers. 

DSC_2291.JPG

• Thanks 1

Manta ray is not in the class I wish to race at the Revival event, plus im not keen on the looks to be honest. My friend has a Blazing Star which is not too dissimilar to the Manta, and yes its a great drive. I love the handling but the Boomer wins me over the Manta and Blazer just on its looks. Thanks for your help though chap. @S-PCS

18 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

I have to say, the Boomer is winning so far... lighter, better steering, slightly more ground clearance, easier maintenance. 

Does anybody know how to go dual shock on the Boomer using the Super Hotshots metal uprights?

The big wig conversion is way better than the supershot. The supershot olates run really restricted length short shocks with limited travel and the ride height is stuck fairly high. The big wig towers and arms let you run lower ride height with much travel. If you're racing it this will make a difference. 

Given this limitation and the availability of longer modern mini shocks (you can build them to 70mm long compared to 64mm on vintage) and thrn there are the 75mm long racing buggy front shocks, could the Supershot setup be made to work better with some modern front shocks? 

• Like 1

On 12 January 2019 at 11:19 PM, Dirt-540 said:

This is what i use , the supershot ( super hotshot ) parts . Works great . They fit the same as it would on the super hotshot .

Very simple setup . Just need to get the parts , the shock towers and the lower metal brackets on the front arms . 

Plus an extra front shock and some spacers for the top towers . I can take pic's if you like . I also have DF03 shocks on

mine as well as MIP ball diff's And also other parts . Then again i love the boomerang anyway :D .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matman said:

This is what i use , the supershot ( super hotshot ) parts . Works great . They fit the same as it would on the super hotshot .

Very simple setup . Just need to get the parts , the shock towers and the lower metal brackets on the front arms . 

Plus an extra front shock and some spacers for the top towers . I can take pic's if you like . I also have DF03 shocks on

mine as well as MIP ball diff's And also other parts . Then again i love the boomerang anyway :D .. 

Yes Id love to see pics please 👍

Boomerang front with supershot shock bits .

20190114_171238_zps4bcqk2v6.jpg

Old parts off Supershot manual ( not the re re super hotshot manual ) << as this will be different part numbers .

20190114_171427_zpsdbewwltx.jpg

You can go to Tamiyaclub main page and find manuals for the re re super hotshot .

• Like 2