Sign in to follow this  
Hudson

transmitter (for my 6yr old) advice

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a simple inexpensive STICK transmitter for my son.  He has a Tamiya Blazing Star and the old radio gear that came with it is becoming temperamental.  I just want to put something modern and reliable in for him.  He only has one car so no need for multiple settings.  Do I need to buy Transmitter receiver and servo or will the old servo plug in to the new receiver?  I'm thinking 2,4GHZ?

Thanks if anyone can help........

Not sure I can suggest a good stick radio for small hands.  I will be following to see what others have to suggest.  My wife seems to think a stick radio would be better for our son.

About the servo and ESC, you should be able to use them on your new 2.4ghz setup without any hassles.  Just plug and play.  I assume you have an ESC, if not it may be a good time to get one.  There are many reasonable options out there today.

I just don't like the wheelie transmitters, probably because I'm an old git!  To be fair my boy already has experience with a stick transmitter so he should be ok.  Actually I'm also looking to buy a couple of batteries and a new quick charger if anyone has any advice.  Don't want to break the bank but certainly don't want rubbish either.  Also not interested in lipo  (I don't think) - extra battery life is all good but not looking for any extra speed.  Again, thanks to anyone that can offer advice..........

• Thanks 1

This one is a good size but needs some springs changing around inside and a little hot glue to make it kid friendly 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5x-5ch-mini-transmitter-and-receiver-mode-1.html

Try not to be such an old git and look at this one. Great for small hands

My kids have used both

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-2-4ghz-3ch-pistol-grip-tx-rx-system.html

I started my boy on a stick radio, the acoms 2.4ghz system. He is 7 now and prefers the trigger/ wheel type. 

They are smart, they adapt quicker than you will. You will prefer it as well, but it will take longer. lol  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought the Futaba 2HR for my son first. Its very basic (but Futaba quality, feels nicer than cheap sets like Flysky) and has done a few years flawlessly now. You can easily reduce the throttle throw with some rubber and tape too. The only thing is the kids always move the trims.

He now has a Futaba 3PV as he has a few cars and wanted pistol style. The 3PV is a great piece of kit but pricey compared to other options. He will have this for years and is starting racing this year (hes 5) The 3PV has EPA so its great, I can set the speed depending on the driver so anyone can use his cars now, from a 5yo who has never used an RC to my friends who want to give racing a go.

I was going to grab the 2HR for my yacht but found I couldn't as his friends come over and we need a stick style in a loaner buggy for them, so it definitely hasn't been a waste having both.

As for compatibility of servos etc, it depends on the plugs. I found out Sanwa servos from the 90s have different plugs with the wires in different places. This also meant I couldn't use my old 27MHz gear with modern ESC.

I bought a SkyRC S60 as a cheap charger. Does everything (lipo, NiMH, checks IR etc) runs off AC so no need for extra power supply and was under NZD$60 delivered from Banggood. I have 2 chargers, if I was starting out I would buy a dual or quad charger (check the D100, Q200 etc from skyRC too). Also if you are thinking you might want lipo (you do) then consider the discharge rate of the charger, both the amps and watts. I have both NiMH and lipo, its horses for courses as far as batteries go. NiMH for my sons bashers so we can leave them charged and ready to go.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the input guys it's really appreciated.  

Serious question - forgetting about the kids small hands issue - why are the trigger wheel type transmitters better??  Are they better or just easier?  Are there things you can do with a wheelie transmitter that you can't with a stick transmitter?  What do the pros/racers use??

• Like 1

How about a Turnigy?  

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-6x-fhss-2-4ghz-transmitter-and-receiver-mode-2.html

It's cheap, but electronics are cheap these days.  Or you could get a used analog Futaba from ebay for about the same price.  One of the problem is that electronics are so cheap that they are mostly 4-6 channel radios.  If you are flying, that's good. 

For a car,  though, you'd want the left stick to go up and down only.  Like Futaba 2HL.  It's a shame that Futaba is relatively expensive.  When offering the same function they've been offering for 30 years, I think I should be able to buy two of Futaba 2HLs for the price of getting one Turnigy.  But it's the other way around.  For that price, you can get a cheap wheel-radio that offers more functions.  If you are going to spend money on Futaba, maybe you should get the 3PV (wheel type, but this one is a good investment, in my opinion).  

I like the wheels.  But I'm still more comfortable with sticks.  It's the trigger that I don't like.  You have to push forward to go backward.  Controlling something by pushing outward with an index finger is rather unnatural than moving a thumb up and down.  The wheels took no time to get used to.  Because most people drive, people have a natural ability to adapt to the wheel type.  If you think about it, even the handlebar of a bicycle works the same way--by turning like a steering wheel.  Since the steering is the confusing part when the car is coming at the driver, the instinctive wheel-type is better.  As mentioned, kids will get used to the trigger fast too.  

• Like 1

I know you said you wanted to get him a stick transmitter, But if it is a small hands kind of need, the basic model Spektrum is what fit my daughter best last year (when she was six). I think 40$ with receiver. Only bummer and warning I might offer is that the DSM receivers that Spektrum sell will not bind with a higher end radio like my DX5pro which is a DSMR trans, even though they are both 2.4Gig designs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hudson said:

Serious question - forgetting about the kids small hands issue - why are the trigger wheel type transmitters better??  Are they better or just easier?  Are there things you can do with a wheelie transmitter that you can't with a stick transmitter?  What do the pros/racers use??

All the racers I've seen use pistol/wheel type, I don't think I've seen sticks at a meet in the last few years. I find them more precise - i can control the throttle better with the pistol than sticks, and the steering wheel seems easier than a stick as well.

I find small kids can use sticks regardless of their size, if they are really little then they can put them on a table and still use the sticks. Getting a small enough pistol type was a challenge. The 3PV is physically quite small and my son uses it easily. My Sanwa MT4S is much bigger, the M12 is massive. The Futaba 3PRKA is too big for my son too, he can use it but its harder for him. The Flysky GT2e looks small but it still requires a bit of reach with the forefinger to apply the brakes

Anothee thing to consider is what batteries they take. Most modern ones will use 4 AA or a lipo, but some still require 8 AA and they will get heavy for little people too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hudson said:

I am not sure if there is anything intrinsically better about trigger or stick transmitters - top racers have been successful with both types.

To my knowledge, the only thing you can do on a trigger transmitter but not a stick transmitter is drive with one hand, and even then it requires that your hands are large enough. 

However from a consumer perspective, there are more trigger type transmitters on the market than there are surface-oriented stick transmitters, and they are typically available cheaper and with more car-appropriate features, so going the trigger route gives you a wider choice. Simply put, you are likely to get a more suitable radio for less money.