ALEXKYRIAK

Top Restoration Tips Thread

Hi all. Am considering restoring an old buggy or two to either runner or shelfer status - first car is about 25-30 years old, second is about 10-15 years old  

For a restoration newbie such as myself, what are the top tips for restoring an old car?

I am happy to clean and replace parts, and to potentially do away with old electronics, double servos and 27mhz radio (unless it’s seen as sacrilegious!!!   :o

Just thinking about the first restoration project seems a bit daunting, however I’m confident I can do a decent job.

What’s the best techniques and things to look out for / consider? What’s the best kit and materials to use? Cleaning, replacements, methods, etc?

I was hoping this thread could possibly serve as a collection of top tips from the seasoned, grizzled, Tamiya gurus on here (or at least a collection of links to the best restoration threads on TC. )

Thanks  :) 

Get yourself some cheap plastic containers. I use ones from the pound shop/ supermarket that are very much like ones you get some takeaway food in. About £2 for 8 or so.

As I disassemble the car I allocate a container for each section. So one might be for the front suspension, another for the front gearbox (if 4wd), one for the rear suspension, rear gearbox and so on. I put all of the parts, plastic parts, screws, nuts etc, for a section into the container.

It helps me keep related parts together and helps when it comes to reassembly as I know which container parts should be in.

Get a sonic bath. A dremel, polishing wheels and compound. White spirit to get rid of grease. Warm up your ebay account for searching for the "one" rare broken part you need. 

• Haha 1

I use yogurt pots - tescos some times have deals for 12 mueller light yogs for three quid. I use the empty pots for parts sorting and soaking seized bits in oil etc. Plus you to get to eat a nice yogurt while imagining Nicole Scherzinger and building rcs all at the same time 👍

Resized_20190113_134456_9195.jpeg

Get a set of Tamiya tools (screws are JIS?? and a philips will do damage and eventually round the head)

When you put a screw into an already used hole, turn it backwards VERY gently till it drops into its thread, then screw back in on original thread instead of cutting a new thread. This will be especially useful if its to be run and is a screw you need to take in and out many times.

DO NOT over tighten any screw.

Get a self healing cutting board so you don't mess up the table surface. This will also make it easier to move when you need to as you can CAREFULLY lift the mat.

Agree on Ultrasonic cleaner (use washing up liquid and warm water in it)

Agree on plastic pots/tubs OR a small fishing bait box for a tool box.

Get some LED lights to give more light to task at hand.

Work out where you will display the finished cars!

Give up your social life and scour eBay!!!

I was asking same questions about a year and a half ago....I had two to restore and below is where I am at now!!

20190105_125438

20190105_125448

I use the dishwasher while the wife is out!

Great first clean before the hard stuff starts. 

For cleaning of parts I now use (as mentiomed above) the ultrasonics cleaner with washing up liquid.

For very dirty parts like gears coated in aluminium pinion paste, I put these in a plastic resealable bag with some low-aromatic terpentine, and put that bag into the ultrasonic cleaner that is further filled up with water. This gets the gears really clean. 

For stubborn dirt, loosen it with a toothbrush and give it a second round.

And all my newly cleaned cars get full bearings and an ESC. This is better for the gears as power can be slowely increased, and no more wear on the rotatimg parts. And a 2.4GHz set, much more stable and compact compared to the old 27MHz types. This also eliminated the antenna straw, improving looks in my opinion.

• Like 1