Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

What to do with an extra Super Astute

Having lost out on two attempts at getting the Super Astute before it was too late, I hedged my bets and wound up with two. I guess I overcompensated :rolleyes:. Now I have an extra and have to decide what to do with it. I could, A. sell it off, B. build it and run it, or C. keep the transmission for my Madcap and sell the rest of the kit off. Any suggestions on what's the best course of action?

I would vote for taking everything you need to get your madcap bomb proof and maybe improved performance - so transmission, drive train, shocks maybe? Sell the rest. I am sure the chassis plates, arms, bulkheads and body would fetch good money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCvet said:

Are they done making them?

No, they're still available I think. I know they're supposedly limited edition and the ones in the US sold out very quickly. I was a bit too late and I haven't seen them restocked yet in the States. Then RCmart sold out. 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I would vote for taking everything you need to get your madcap bomb proof and maybe improved performance - so transmission, drive train, shocks maybe? Sell the rest. I am sure the chassis plates, arms, bulkheads and body would fetch good money. 

This was my ideal scenario. I wasn't sure if the rest of the kit had much value though. I'd hate to only get something like $100 for the rest of the kit. That would make it a $200 Madcap transmission upgrade in my mind :blink:. But, once you started listing usable parts left over, you might have a good point.

If I had two, I'd skip A, B and C and go straight to D: Simply own two. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, S-PCS said:

If I had two, I'd skip A, B and C and go straight to D: Simply own two.

I think that was option B ;).

I may need a 3rd, Tamiya if you are listening please tell us how many of these there will be and for how long and will you make parts easy?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I think that was option B ;)

I know, I just de-euphemized "build it and run it" for you by removing reason and purpose from the question of ownership :D

• Like 1

I believe Option D consists of building a step and mailing it to another TC member, who repeats the process, for what can either be described as a "build thread by mail" or a, uh, "brother/sisterhood of the travelling Super Astute" :P That sure would be a lot of postage, though...

Whatever decision you make, I hope you find it to be the right one!

• Like 1

This is one of those things where you decide does the money really matter? 

Do you want to build the ultimate madcap? 

Or is there another project that could do with $300us dropping into it? 

Or are you really itching to flog a super astute over some huge jumps? 

If ive learnt one thing about Tamiya is that people priority’s of what kits are important to them and what is worth hopping up, driving or shelving is extremely variable. 

I’m sure you have a gut feeling about what you should do. 

• Like 1

Build one that is 100% stock with all and only Tamiya parts.  Make it a shelf-queen and something you could possible sell for some good money later.  The other, make it your runner where you can also experiment with non-stock parts (dampers, springs, etc).

• Like 1

Build one with an Astute body and they can hang out together !

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Juls1 said:

This is one of those things where you decide does the money really matter? 

In the end, its just money and money's only good for what you can buy with it. Having two Super Astutes in right on the edge of being careless with it for me though.

Do you want to build the ultimate madcap?

Maybe not ultimate, but I'm tired of having one of those great little buggies sitting here and being fearful of running it because of the diff (though it works so far, I keep a stock 540 in it). Still, in the end, is it worth carving up a Super Astute kit when the SA itself will be the better buggy with the same spirit of the Madcap? Sellling the Madcap would be the easiest way out but nobody in the US (outside of Tamiyaclubers) buys used Tamiyas for anything more than dirt.

Or is there another project that could do with $300us dropping into it? 

I have a lot of projects so that money could be useful.

Or are you really itching to flog a super astute over some huge jumps? 

I never thought I'd run an Astute so my mind wasn't in that place but the idea is growing on me. Like always however, I'm fearful of parts support. All my runner Tamiyas have many many spares as some Tamiya re-res and their spare parts are here and gone in a flash. If Tamiya was like Associated in this respect, I'd feel better (albeit, Tamiya's range is far more vast).

If ive learnt one thing about Tamiya is that people priority’s of what kits are important to them and what is worth hopping up, driving or shelving is extremely variable. 

This is quite true. You've posed some great questions for thought. Thank you.

I'd build the other one and keep it as a shelf queen or use it as spare parts donor for the other on case something breaks. That's what I did with my two FF03 kits. One is a parts donor. Got them both at a bargain.