Saito2

Kyosho Car Crusher series tire sizes

Does anybody know the tire sizes (diameter and width) of the old Kyosho monster trucks (excluding the USA-1's)? It looks like two types were offered, the Big Brute/Nitro Brute and the Vette/Big Boss/Double Dare. Just looking at the pictures in magazines, the Brute tire looks to be shorter but wider. Curiously, I've seen the Double Dare sporting both styles of tire depending on which ad it was in. All the google image pics show it the taller Vette tire though.

The Big Brute tires and wheels were unique and shorter and wider.  Brute orginal wheels and tires are actually the hardest part to find in restoring these and good ones do not come cheap, often more than the truck itself these days.

This one looks pretty complete, and open to offers, but case in point, tires missing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Kyosho-Big-Brute-Vintage-Truck-Make-A-Offer/283290675054?hash=item41f570a76e:g:yW4AAOSwcdxcB0FU:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

By the time you restored it though you'd easily be at this price point.  I had quite a few of these over the years, 5 to 10 years ago you could barely give them away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Complete-Kyosho-Big-Brute-Box-Art-Paint-Scheme-Monster-Truck-2wd-USA1/163485262677?hash=item26107b2355:g:BccAAOSwarlb9G-g:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 4:39 PM, Saito2 said:

Does anybody know the tire sizes (diameter and width) of the old Kyosho monster trucks (excluding the USA-1's)? It looks like two types were offered, the Big Brute/Nitro Brute and the Vette/Big Boss/Double Dare. Just looking at the pictures in magazines, the Brute tire looks to be shorter but wider. Curiously, I've seen the Double Dare sporting both styles of tire depending on which ad it was in. All the google image pics show it the taller Vette tire though.

The Kyosho Big Brute tires were wider and pretty much the dia. of the Blackfoot's. Those Bridgestone tires are very hard to find in good condition nowadays. The problem with them is the same as with the Marui Big Bear tires, they're soft and thin so they just can't stand the test of time. The Big Brute, Nitro Brute, and the USA-1 used unique tires. The other Kyosho monster trucks used the taller tires, Big Boss, Hi Rider, and of course Double Dare. I've always believed the tires were the main reason why they made the USA-1. Kyosho made the D-Dare to match the Tamiya Clod Buster. Now it wasn't a lousy runner, but it certainly didn't have the visual impact of the Huge Clod Buster. So they probably come up with the USA-1 to make the Clod look "small" haha. The USA-1 tires are a bit taller and certainly wider.

If you have links to any promo pics of the Double Dare with diff tires I know I'd be very surprised.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot the truggies Kyosho made in the early 90's. The Monster tracker and Hi Rider Vette II came with "downsized" tires to fit the standard that Tamiya come up with early in 1985 with the Bruiser... the 2.2 :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I've always believed the tires were the main reason why they made the USA-1. Kyosho made the D-Dare to match the Tamiya Clod Buster. Now it wasn't a lousy runner, but it certainly didn't have the visual impact of the Huge Clod Buster.

I've always believed this as well. The only real flaw (and I really wouldn't call it that, honestly) of the Double Dare (outside of early knuckle breakage) was I've read it was tipsy with the 4WS. Adding more power made the issue worse. While Kyosho did actually put some effort into improving the basic car crusher package for the USA-1, the big tires were the key to grabbing the attention of potential Clod buyers. Kyosho really targeted the Clod with a 1-2 punch of big tires and licensing the real USA-1.

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I've read it was tipsy with the 4WS

That might be another reason for Kyosho getting wider tires for a winning 4wd monster truck (USA-1).

• Like 1

True. While I have pictures of Double Dares running Clod tires, Kyosho went a step further and added wider suspension arms as well. From that, to the aluminum shock towers to the Mega motors, Kyosho really laid all their cards on the table about their intent to dethrone the Clod.

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Kyosho really laid all their cards on the table about their intent to dethrone the Clod.

In terms of performance, I would agree. And while back in 1988-89 everyone was hot for the USA-1 being the world champion, to my eyes the Clod Buster was still far better looking. The Clod was realistic in the usual way you look at Tamiya vs. Kyosho. The USA-1 was faster, yeah, and that was probably because of the better motors.

Still, now that three decades have passed (and sadly sooo quickly), instead of neglecting the USA-1 because of the love I felt for the Clod, I think I would like to have both. No space to fit the huge USA-1 in our place, I guess we can always throw away the Fridge and just get it? :lol:

Finally found my comparison pictures, if they are good for anybody interested in tire sizes.

Unfortunately I still don't have Big Brute tires to compare...

x8N6kqw.jpg

IsVJLMh.jpg

C2HAXKV.jpg

68EKcGk.jpg

IUSShkJ.jpg

dRri6kv.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 11:07 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Finally found my comparison pictures, if they are good for anybody interested in tire sizes.

Thanks! Great comparison shots. I think my Big Boss will get HPI Mud Thrashers for running tires (and 2.2 hex wheels). From the measurements I've found they aren't too far off Big Brute sized tires, just somewhat narrower and maybe a hair taller. The other options are Axial BKT tires and Jconcepts Midwest tires. BKT's are just a little bit bigger than the HPIs but seem much pricier. The Midwest tires look awesome but I'd rather have chevrons on the Boss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Thanks! Great comparison shots. I think my Big Boss will get HPI Mud Thrashers for running tires (and 2.2 hex wheels). From the measurements I've found they aren't too far off Big Brute sized tires, just somewhat narrower and maybe a hair taller. The other options are Axial BKT tires and Jconcepts Midwest tires. BKT's are just a little bit bigger than the HPIs but seem much pricier. The Midwest tires look awesome but I'd rather have chevrons on the Boss.

IMHO HPI Mud Thrasher tires look better on the Big Boss than on the Brute. I have seen CEN Chinese brand wheel/tire combos look very very good on Brutes, if not better than original. They used to sell cheap on eBay a couple of years ago.

Here's some example:

BTW (old post iknow but...) is the kyosho monster tracker and mad van using the same size wheels and tires as the tamiya lunchbox?