DI driver

3S LiPo in DF03 Dark Impact

Hi all,

I'm getting to the almost ready to run stage of my build. To date I have a couple of Nimh batteries which I kind of wish I hadn't bought as the lure of LiPo has reached me. Initially I was against the idea based on the little knowledge I had about difficulties with charging and storage relative to Nimh but now that I've looked again it seems the right way to go. I've got a couple of brushed motors to try - the stock silver can, a 21t and 17t budget etronix, a 15t Firebolt and an old-but-being-serviced Orion 11x2. My speed controller has a 12t limit on 2s and 18t limit on 3s (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-msc-30br-wp-brushed-speed-controller/rc-car-products/385811).

I like the idea of getting used to the car with a silver can but also can't help wondering what it might be like on 3s - it sort of make sense to me have more volts and less exotic motors to generate the power. I don't want an uncontrollable rocket ship (yet) and I don't have the budget to go brushless right now. I wonder if this would fit in a DF03?:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-sport-track-4000mah-3s-11-1v-50c-lipo-battery-low-profile/rc-car-products/425407

The dimensions look promising. I realise that I couldn't use the lower turn motors with it. I'm just enjoying messing about!!!

The best plan would be to measure the battery location of your car.  Then you should be able to use those measurements to find a Lipo that will fit.  It's what I did for my DN01.  It does limit you on Lipo brands, but it would make sure you don't have to modify the car after you purchase the battery.

• Like 1

I think you're right. Even my 7.2v Nimh stick is relatively snug. I can find low capacity 3S that would fit (on paper) but as my Nimh batteries are 4500 and 5000mAh I'd like to find something around 4000mAh. The sensible thing to do of course would be to enjoy it with the batteries I've got before making rash decisions!

A 3s lipo at 4000mah will smash your car before the battery wears out. :) well, maybe not on a silver can. 

My point is, when going 3s, you don't need a large capacity  battery as the fun is increased. It takes a lot of concentration piloting a rocket-ship, so you might need a break after 10-15mins. :)  3s is the cheapest way to increase speed, it's like having turbo on tap. :) 

Also you may only be using half throttle on 3s instead of blasting full throttle everywhere, now you have throttle control, so the battery lasts longer as it isn't working so hard.

• Like 1

Why stop at 3S when 5S is proven in the DF03? Check out the speed run thread...

Anyway, @Wooders28 would be the one to answer this given he owns a DF03 and thinks 3S is just for when he wants to slow a car down for his kids!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I ran the DF03 with a 5700kv on 3s for years, and it'll needed a few mods to get it to be reliable.

My battery of choice, was an Orion Rocketsport, as I wanted a hardcase :- https://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/kyosho-orion-ori14197-rocket-sport-3200-lipo-25c-11-1v-deans-plug

But as the battery is protected in the chassis, I run these softcase now, as they are more powerful and half the price!! 😀

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-3000mah-3s-40c-lipo-pack-xt-60.html?countrycode=GB&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiApvbhBRDXARIsALnNoK2SVfRe7Jw0qhQZ2XfkW-eu6KjHJrPcjCCRtw0aVOq3YBZDpKHcwjIaAlcuEALw_wcB&___store=en_us

• Like 1

That's great. I saw those and wondered. For what it's worth I just tried it on my drive with a half charge 7.2v nimh and cheap 21 turn brushed motor and it felt quite fast!!! Really fun though. I think the child in me will need to try 3s!!!. Much appreciated as ever. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DI driver said:

I saw those and wondered

Just fits, as in ,need to push the door shut to get the pin through, just fits.

You need to cut a bit of the chassis to get the power leads out , you can cut just enough and keep the body post, I just chopped the full corner off, loosing the body post.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Just fits, as in ,need to push the door shut to get the pin through, just fits.

You need to cut a bit of the chassis to get the power leads out , you can cut just enough and keep the body post, I just chopped the full corner off, loosing the body post.

Tidy. I've not cut bits of chassis before - what do you use?

11 hours ago, DI driver said:

Tidy. I've not cut bits of chassis before - what do you use?

Can't remember tbh, It was a good few years ago.

2019-01-16_09-44-40

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, Wooders28 said:

In the end I bought one of these as it claims to be slightly smaller and I'm nervous of cutting the chassis:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-nano-tech-2700mah-3s-65-130c-lipo-pack-xt-60.html?countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wVh23Z9z6o9JXzxxk3uzKt5A7TZ4UKNnvi2ClUg-wYkdoj02Q5v4r0aApBYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

and one of these in case I can't hack the oomph (again, looks like it will fit without cutting)...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-3000mah-2s-40c-lipo-pack-xt-60.html

I'll let you know how it goes..

• Like 1

Both fit - the 2s without filing and the 3s with a bit of filing to avoid pinching the cable. The 2s is very punchy with my 17 turn cheapo motor and 81/20 gearing. Both are thin so need some bubble wrap in there.

Filing:

20190124_211410.jpg

Length comparison 3s, nimh, 2s:

20190124_211535.jpg

Plenty of space for 2s:

20190124_210827.jpg

3s not tight either:

20190124_211356.jpg

3s, nimh, 2s:

20190124_211602.jpg

Fun times!!

• Like 2