ThunderDragonCy

Thundershot Chassis enclosed battery holder

Since i switched to lipo i have been more and more concerned about about how gunged up the balance plug gets when running on grass. Also the chassis just still gets filled up with grass and rubbish through the battery hole in the tub.

Enclosed battery holder for Tamiya Thundershot / Thunder Dragon / Fire Dragon / Terra Scorcher

So i designed an enclosed battery holder inspired by the M chassis idea of cups held by a top plate. These are the first prototypes. 

Enclosed battery holder for Tamiya Thundershot / Thunder Dragon / Fire Dragon / Terra ScorcherEnclosed battery holder for Tamiya Thundershot / Thunder Dragon / Fire Dragon / Terra ScorcherEnclosed battery holder for Tamiya Thundershot / Thunder Dragon / Fire Dragon / Terra Scorcher

It is shaped to seal against the tub as far as possible. There is still a small gap but hopefully will be a vast improvement over the original setup. I can always add some sticky foam to help close up the gaps if needs be. 

Enclosed battery holder for Tamiya Thundershot / Thunder Dragon / Fire Dragon / Terra Scorcher

Top plates fit over the stock bosses ob the tub and the same screws that hold the kit battery cage on hold these down. 

Both sides installed. 

The holders are held in place with body clips on posts just like the M chassis. The battery plug feeds through but there is enough space to stash the balance lead inside the cup keeping it nice and clean. 

These are down in PLA from a Treatstock vendor making them cheap enough to try. I uploaded them to Shapeways and thry would cost about 50 dollars! Not sure i want a clean battery that much! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya need to give you a job in their R & D department.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to hug you. I was working on this for the HS and was becoming enraged. So I am ok with $50 on SW for this part since I need it to run at the track. will this fit the Hot shot? I know so little about these car variation. Second, you could upload the files to Myminifactory.com and people could buy the STL files from you and then print them at home. I am working on setting that up right now. Let me know as I really want some!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pintopower Had a look at the manual. I am pretty sure the lower battery covers would fit but the top of the chassis is different to the Thundershot so that part would fit. I could put the battery covers on Shapeways for you and fire over the top plate model so you could modify that but with the right interfaces?