acprc

MCI Racing Decals and Audi Quattro

Hi all,

Anybody used the MCI Racing decals on an original Audi Quattro? Interested in the quality of the colour match to the originals? I have a part set of originals and a few replicas and the colour of the blue/grey on the stripes is way off.

Thanks

I haven't specifically used Quatro decals, but I've used MCI for my Astute and EVO restores, they are fantastic.

• Like 1

I haven't specifically used Quattro decals either but the quality in general is quite good (IMO) but matching the original colours is always an issue with MCI decals. I have used round about 10 sets of MCI#s and 5 out of them were just way off  colour wise. And sometimes there are a few decals missing - like on my Porsche 956 Rothmans. there is one "Shell" sticker missing in the layout AND the blue colour is way too light. 

• Like 1

It looks like MCI Racing will use Metallic Silver for the tri-colour stripes. Metallic Silver is just that, so that would be a ways off from the blue-grey finish you are looking for...

2je8rjl.jpg

Are you building an original? It would be worth it to keep looking for vintage decals in that case; otherwise, MCI is more than sufficient. I intend to use their services for a modern-day Audi Quattro, once I find a 4WD chassis in that wheelbase.

Edit - for clarification, MCI Racing also uses Metallic Silver for the rear fender flare panel decal on the Opel Ascona, visible here just ahead of the rear wheel:

k71xe.jpg

Quite a ways off from the Audi Quattro stripes:

4q4yug.jpg

Best of luck with your search!

Thanks for the replies.

Its an original body but a used one I am restoring. It will have brand new front and rear bumpers. I actually have a set of the original body marking decals but one of them has curled off the backing sheet and is covered in brown fluff from the envelope. I'm not sure I can recover the end and as such looking for an alternative.

Finding an original set will be difficult but more importantly very expensive. The last bodyset sold on Ebay for $575 I don't hold out much hope for a decal set.

Decisions decisions......

My restoration Audi Quattro I used Mci and the colour match is notably different to my original non run Audi , but I couldn’t bring myself to chop up a new in packet Tamiya set of decals to use on a non Tamiya shell .

0C3D5862-1326-497E-AD41-C70AEA7D4C07.jpeg

• Like 1

you could also try solid coloured vinyl, trace and cut and make your own set (using the MCI decals for the rest). I used solid vinyl for my Audi, traced from images downloaded from the internet. The grey  chose to be closer to the actual Audi colour scheme than Tamiya's version.

img35302_06112012005846_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The vinyl isnt a bad idea. I am really going to have to see if I can recover this original set I have. It's just one corner that has peeled back and is no longer sticky. I might be able to save it.

13 hours ago, Rally Simon said:

My restoration Audi Quattro I used Mci and the colour match is notably different to my original non run Audi , but I couldn’t bring myself to chop up a new in packet Tamiya set of decals to use on a non Tamiya shell .

0C3D5862-1326-497E-AD41-C70AEA7D4C07.jpeg

Thats a really poor match isnt it!

MCI let you choose any colour you like to replace any colour on the sticker set. Why not just change the silver to grey? I just checked and there is a dark grey option to replace the metallic silver. 

1 hour ago, acprc said:

The vinyl isnt a bad idea. I am really going to have to see if I can recover this original set I have. It's just one corner that has peeled back and is no longer sticky. I might be able to save it.

what colour has peeled back? I templated all the stickers in a computer program and cut it out with a vinyl cutter. It would be easy for me to cut a bit more. Probably the only downside is that is probably won't match 100%.

2 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

what colour has peeled back? I templated all the stickers in a computer program and cut it out with a vinyl cutter. It would be easy for me to cut a bit more. Probably the only downside is that is probably won't match 100%.

Its the red on one of the leading edges. I'm in germany but will take a shot of it in the UK on Friday and post it up. If I can get the envelope fluff off the sticky side and then flatten the decal again I might be able to glue it down on the model. I'm sure there is an adhesive that will work with decals. Basically somebody pushed the sheet into an envelope in the past and its peeled back.

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

MCI let you choose any colour you like to replace any colour on the sticker set. Why not just change the silver to grey? I just checked and there is a dark grey option to replace the metallic silver. 

Thats an idea as well

I had the chance of buying a NIB Audi bodyset about 10 years ago for £200 from the same person I got my NIB Ascona set from. I now wish I had got it! I went for just the Ascona set instead. 

I also had a very similar problem with a set of Merc clk gtr decals sent to me, lifted one corner covered in dust and fluff.

I sent MCI a scan of the sheet and Nathaniel "cleaned up" the mucky section and sent me the re-printed decals.

Mine were white so I suppose I was a bit luckier, but after I fitted them you would not be able to tell the difference.

Could you send him the ruined decal and ask him to colour match? he's very accomodating.

Sven

• Like 1