GTodd

Why is there no love for the Terra Scorcher?

On 1/15/2019 at 4:46 PM, GTodd said:

Good Morning, just as the title reads, why is there no love for the Terra Scorcher?

Why do you think this?
I don't believe it.
They are rare, simply.
I own a NIB Terra Scorcher and a runner.

Max

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 7:37 PM, kontemax said:

Why do you think this?
I don't believe it.
They are rare, simply.
I own a NIB Terra Scorcher and a runner.

Max

I think this because no one really talks about them.  The Hotshot family and the Avante family get the majority of the attention. Do not get me wrong. I love them! I'm building one right now.

• Like 1

While there are plenty of Tamiya models that don't get attention, there may be be some factors specific to the Thundershot line in general. As far as the Terra Scorcher in particular, I believe @kontemax is correct. They're simply rare. If they weren't a big seller, fewer survived and less folks have them to strike up conversation on them. So why wasn't the Terra Scorcher a big seller? Its a nice buggy and most think it looks the best of the series. However, being fully loaded, it was the most expensive. MRC in the States often promoted the vehicle in shared ads with the Vanquish. Both buggies weren't cheap. IIRC the Vanquish averaged $225 while the Terra Scorcher wasn't far behind at $215. That's alot of money for a plastic Tamiya that no racer in the US would likely purchase. This leaves its main audience as the backyard basher.  A Thundershot ran at a much cheaper $130 or less so you can see where this is going. Yes, all the added features are nice, but to someone saving up money for this, are they worth it (aside from the bearings of course which a newcomer might be ignorant about at time of purchase) in the backyard arena? 

As far as the T-shot line as a whole, people have touched on their spaceship buggy-look as not aging well being the culprit but that's only half the issue. Obviously the Avante series garners interest while not being realistic in the least. Its merely its placement. The Hot Shot series was the first and thus revolutionary by default. They too suffer from reduced interest in their own family as time wore on. The Hot Shot (despite performing the worst) is highly regarded, being the pioneer. The Super Shot was pricey and loaded with all the options. The Boomerang was more easily obtainable so it sold well. Then things go downhill. The Bigwig gets some notoriety as the 10th anniversary car but wasn't universally loved. The Hot Shot 2 and Super Sabre are largely forgotten by the masses.

Whether they performed well or not, little needs to be said about how big a splash the Avante made. It was so different from standard Tamiya fare that it even pulled in racers who normally wouldn't give Tamiya a second look. That's not to say they weren't disappointed and didn't eventually return to their Optima Mids, CATS and Yokomos, but some did buy in. It was that special. Again, the Egress was also remembered, being so over the top with exotic materials and options. While not a huge seller, it was a halo car and an object of desire for many. The Vanquish and 2001? Again, largely forgotten. People remember them now because they haven't been re-released. If none of the Avante series had been re-re'd, which would be more exciting news to most people, the Avante/Egress is coming back or the Vanquish? That's not a put-down, just black and white.

The Thundershot line stands in the middle of all this. Not the first nor a revolution in Tamiya design. Even if racers did glance at the Thundershot specifically, the Avante showed up on its heels and stole the spotlight. As I've said in the past, its a shame. The T-shot series had alot of design parameters to meet and it did. Its had to be reasonably competitive (they surprisingly are), have less complexity (be easier and less fiddly to assemble), a lower parts count and be cheaper as well. It succeeded. In my opinion, I don't consider the DF01 that radical of a step forward, T-Shot cars are that good. Df01's might be a bit more relaxed to drive but they certainly don't blow them away. Thundershot cars deserve more credit IMHO. 

• Like 2

I had TS back in the day . I bought it for £18 used with radio :) . I liked the shell and overall look more than the Thundershot that I had  . I should have kept it  :(

Interesting to see Baddon’s photos of the Thundershot series buggies. I was wondering in the conversion of a Terra Scorcher to Thundershot the amount of alterations required to the body to make it fit? Another TC member provided some useful information on the main differences and noted the twin front shock v mono shock  - do alterations have to be made at the front of body?

3 hours ago, Nova1 said:

Interesting to see Baddon’s photos of the Thundershot series buggies. I was wondering in the conversion of a Terra Scorcher to Thundershot the amount of alterations required to the body to make it fit? Another TC member provided some useful information on the main differences and noted the twin front shock v mono shock  - do alterations have to be made at the front of body?

Thundershot doesn't need any alterations to run a twin shock at the front because the body doesn't overhang the front tower. The only body you need to trim differently for twin shocks out of the series is the Thunder Dragon 

• Like 1

As others have said with a re re of the Thunder Shot lineup, bumpers, bathtubs and other parts won’t be as scarce soon.  The fact it’s a Terra Scorcher means the adjustable upper arms, universal joint drive shafts and rear stabilizer kit will be easier to come by soon.  I’m not seeing a downside to the news of this re re!

• Like 1

Super excited!!!!!!! But looks like Ill be purchasing more super clod buster parts treees!!!!

I have some new blue adjusters packed away somewhere, Ill probably sell them because I'd rather fit the fixed blue arms...keep a look out for the sales ad!

17 hours ago, Nova1 said:

parts needed:-

full bearings

rear sway bar

front UJ drive shafts

Twin mini front shocks

adjustable upper suspension arms.

I had all of the above bought as they were availabe as hop ups to the Thunder series cars (though I used a larger front shocks and my own made front shock tower)

the TS was 3rd in the series and by then a lot (like myself and @ThunderDragonCy) already had our buggies bought so we just would have hopped up what we had. This was also a money thing for me, bought buggy and could not have afforded the higher initial cost of the TS, BUT as money arrived it was invested in hop ups.

Just my take on it.

The good news is anyone who wants one can now be got with the new re-re....YOOOOOOOOO

• Like 1

I’m just getting back into the hobby and have installed the full bearing kit in my otherwise stock Thundershot.  It should be on the road again shortly for the first time since I last drove it over 28 years ago. I’ve got my wish list of parts from the Terra Scorcher I plan on adding to mine over the next bit and I’m glad to know if I wait a little longer, the price of those parts will likely be cheaper due to more supply being available. 

I’m kinda glad I didn’t unearth my Thundershot a year or two or three ago since my hop-up budget will go further now with the rere Terra Scorcher coming out later this year!

• Like 1