acprc

49460 Tamiya TNX 5.2r Champagne Gold Restoration

As the sun was out I thought I would have a go at starting the chassis plate. As mentioned before the Gold Edition uses a silver chassis plate. Tamiya have never released it in silver, you can only get TNX 5.2r chassis plates anodized blue.

Took the old used plate

IMG-5893.jpg

Covered it in spray oven cleaner

IMG-5894.jpg

Left it for 20 mins and then scrubbed it. Blue foam!

IMG-5895.jpg

Both sides scrubbed and then rinsed off left me with this

IMG-5896.jpg

and 30 mins with 400 grit wet and dry left me at this point

IMG-5897.jpg

Just needs fine sanding and polishing now.

Tyres arrived from Japan so fitted one wheel in

IMG-5899.jpg

Got the pressure plate on the gearbox swapped over, new v old

IMG-5901.jpg

and started to clean the engine. Following the same procedure in my TGS thread.

IMG-5902.jpg

• Like 1

So after working the chassis plate through various grits I finished at 2500. I didnt want it polished but more matt looking like the original. Bear in mind this part has never been released by Tamiya and I have never seen one I am happy how it came out.

With the chassis done I started to build her back up. More work today but coming along nicely.

IMG-5912.jpg

That’s a lovely finish, it looks factory. 

I’d love to build up another Nitro engine & chassis - i might need to invest in a TG10 for some rally action 

• Like 2

The basic chassis is almost done now. I have just prepped and sprayed the engine heatsink and then the engine can be fitted back onto the chassis. After that it is just the dampers. The caps need to be turned silver like the chassis and silver springs sourced and fitted.

Getting there!

Not much to do then - looking forward to seeing the finished product 

• Like 1

Hi all,

So haven't updated this one for a while. I have been away with work and also had some difficulties with parts, mainly the shock springs. As mentioned previously Tamiya never made these in Silver as a replacement part (like the deck and shock caps) and I have had to get some made specially for the car. They are coming from China, so whilst I wait I sorted out the other shock parts.

As they are today

IMG-5948.jpg

Stripped down

IMG-5951.jpg

The yellow springs will go in my TGM parts spares box, ideal for a runner.

IMG-5949.jpg

On the Gold Edition these caps need to be silver and Tamiya have never released them in Silver to buy.

IMG-5950.jpg

So just like the chassis into the Oven Cleaner they go.

IMG-5952.jpg

and then after 30 mins they are washed, cleaned and then rubbed down with 600, 1500 and 2500 grit wet and dry. Once back on the shocks they look ok, maybe some polish needed.

IMG-5953.jpg

as for the car, minus the shocks she is a little low but looking good

IMG-5954.jpg

and without body

IMG-5955.jpg

Just awaiting the new springs to finish and fit the shocks now and she is more or less done. Finished pictures soon.

• Like 4

I missed the update with the shocks, thanks for bumping the thread. 

Looking good as always!

• Like 1

Very nice build!! I always admired these trucks, I think Tamiya discontinued then once they began the 801X line. A shame, I think there was/is a market for both .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Very nice build!! I always admired these trucks, I think Tamiya discontinued then once they began the 801X line. A shame, I think there was/is a market for both .

The 801X line was designed and built by Tamiya USA predominantly for the USA markets. They designed and released a few kits like the TNX Pro that Tamiya Japan then used as the basis for the TNX 5.2R. I think the lack of interest in nitro following the popularity of brushless powered cars is what has slowly seen them disappear from the shelves. This is the last kit i needed to have them all in my collection. I just need to restore my Terra Crushers and the TNX Pro mentioned above, paint the Wild Crusher Z body and they will all be done. 

So,

The springs I had made finally came from China and it was an easy job to get them fitted and then attached to the truck

IMG-5969.jpg

And that was then her finished, very happy with the way it has turned out. On to the next one.

IMG-5965.jpg

IMG-5966.jpg

IMG-5967.jpg

IMG-5968.jpg

• Like 2

That is an amazing rebuild and transformation. I wish I had the time, patience and will to put this much into my collection - perhaps one day when time is more generous too me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kalsh said:

That is an amazing rebuild and transformation. I wish I had the time, patience and will to put this much into my collection - perhaps one day when time is more generous too me.

Thanks, they take some effort to do but the end results are good. I'm lucky in that I have a lot of parts for these having all of them in my collection so I can keep costs down. I always restore what I can unless its broken.

14 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

Wow, stunning result ! Hardly a difference to a new never run example:-)

IMG_1731.JPG

Thanks, any chance of a picture of the chassis to compare? I am especially interested in what warning decals are on it and where they are placed. Thanks

9 minutes ago, CiganoBoxer said:

looks good adam, fantastic resto,  i will let you know when my NIB lands ;)

Thanks

Is there a source for the TNX fuel tanks? Seem like they are out of stock everywhere. :(

19 minutes ago, Collin said:

Is there a source for the TNX fuel tanks? Seem like they are out of stock everywhere. :(

Getting harder and harder to find any Tamiya Fuel tanks apart from the NDF, TGR and the TG10 Mk2. I buy every one I ever see now.