Aviator

Hotshot rere front monoshock

Hi all, I am totally new here and this thread is almost the holy grail for me!

As a grown up living my childhood dream through the medium of a hotshot re re build I am looking to modify the suspension on mine in almost what LongRat has done. I have got hold of a radshaperc rear dual shock kit and have also got some monoshock control arm extenders  incoming from Factory Works. I think this should go some way to improving handling - and in honestly its all about the fun of the build/tweaking. 

My question really is what shocks to go for. The rear dual conversion needs 90mm shocks and I think the CVA kit would work with some tweaking or I could go for Fastrax or Gmade shocks. The front needs a 100mm shock and I was thinking of perhaps using a crawler type dual spring shock with the idea in my head being the soft spring takes the initial small bump compliance with the stiffer spring limiting too much travel as the bumps get bigger. Does this sound like a good or terrible idea?

Thanks for any advice. This is fun!

On 1/21/2019 at 12:18 AM, LongRat said:

I've done several iterations of my Hotshot front end and concluded with this.  By far the most effective monoshock set up I have used.

I'm using a threaded Team Durango rear shock, the thing here is that the mounts are drastically extended so you don't need such a high rate spring but instead substitute it for more shock travel.  This allows a 'normal' shock to be used.  The shock isn't bent under compression either which not only improves the action, but reduces wear (a lot).

2vb91qa.jpg

Hi LongRat, any chance you can post this pic again? thanks!

On 1/21/2019 at 12:18 AM, LongRat said:

I've done several iterations of my Hotshot front end and concluded with this.  By far the most effective monoshock set up I have used.

I'm using a threaded Team Durango rear shock, the thing here is that the mounts are drastically extended so you don't need such a high rate spring but instead substitute it for more shock travel.  This allows a 'normal' shock to be used.  The shock isn't bent under compression either which not only improves the action, but reduces wear (a lot).

2vb91qa.jpg

Hi LongRat, any chance you can post this pic again? thanks!

Perfect, thanks! Do you have any more pics of the car? Looks like it has a few other interesting mods!

It has a lot of mods.  My intention with this was to keep it recognisable as a Hotshot, with the original chassis and front monoshock layout.  It races pretty well, but ultimately loses to the Cat XLS and other Hotshot-based cars with upgraded chassis and conventional independent suspension, plus I only run brushed motors and 2" wheels as that's what I like.

Changes:

• Front independent torsion bar suspension system plus monoshock.  This is not an anti-roll bar despite how it looks
  • New geometry CNC machined suspension arms, carbon fibre levers, Durango shock
  • Custom steering set up using carbon low profile bell cranks
  • Bump-steer elimination blocks outboard
  • CNC hinge pin braces
  • Rear - CNC tower, aluminium tower mounts and Pro-Line Powerstroke shocks

There is a thread on it on Tamiyaclub, but most of the pics are dead now.

IMG_20180723_230510841.jpg

• Like 1