Sign in to follow this  
max69vk

Buying from Jersey

Just found out the hard way that buying anything from Jersey through eBay regardless of whether the item is used from a private seller, you’ll get stung for 20% VAT + the obligatory Royal Mail £8 insult on top.

Im kind of suprised Jersey isn’t flagged when you buy from there (like other listing that incur import charges). Has anyone else come across this issue?

4 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Nope, never knew that

Had a quick google and found this http://www.brighton-accountants.com/blog/vat-jersey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAT-free_imports_from_the_Channel_Islands

eBay only flags up certain US sellers too - do the sellers have to opt-in to the global thingy service maybe?

It looks like there is absolutely no need for the seller to even inform the buyer about the VAT whatsoever, which is now making me wonder why eBay don’t list Jersey as a non UK entity. Basically buyer beware when buying anything from there, so always factor 20% on top of the buy cost & then always factor £8 for Royal Mails extortion as apparently they check every single package from the Channel Islands 🧐

6 hours ago, TWINSET said:

do the sellers have to opt-in to the global thingy service maybe?

I contacted Glenn at CRP a few days ago as some of his eBay products listed the Global shipping program and some didn't and he said he didn't have to use GSP and wasn't aware that some of his listings had it .

I've bought CD's and RC parts from Jersey and never paid any duty etc

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I contacted Glenn at CRP a few days ago as some of his eBay products listed the Global shipping program and some didn't and he said he didn't have to use GSP and wasn't aware that some of his listings had it .

I've bought CD's and RC parts from Jersey and never paid any duty etc

If your purchases are under £15 you’re ok. I purchased a new shell for £35, with the VAT & RM charges it adds another £15 to the cost 😥

Came for Tamiya in New Jersey. 

Leaving disappointed. 

giphy.gif

The-Situation-Fist-Pumping-At-a-Club-In-

• Haha 4

As a Jersey resident and frequent eBay seller, can I just clarify that it's not eBay that add 20% but HMRC who go by the information supplied on the CN22 customs declaration, ultimately the sender. 

For any future purchases, as long as they weren't a trader or you had an understanding seller then you could ask them to down-mark the value and/or declare the goods as a lower value than they are since it would otherwise make it uneconomical to purchase, this would be in their interests to do and wouldn't cost them anything, although strictly not the correct thing to do.

The VAT threshold is £18 for imports to the mainland, so anything under that will sail through, anything declared over will be liable for VAT.

we have exactly the same issue here, we have our own version of VAT called GST, if I buy an item for £239 it clears customs, a pound more and customs will seize it, send you a letter in the post and ask for the duty, a process that can take nearly a week. I had an issue last year where somebody sent me a motorcycle part that cost me £35 but for some unknown reason they wrote £275 on the declaration (I can only assume they went for a new-for-old replacement value) needless to say that I had the choice of paying the duty or losing the (rare) item.

just out of interest, was it a private sale you bought from or a trader? I ask because I need a shell and didn't think anybody here sold them!

• Thanks 2

It was a private seller I bought from rather than a trader. I think my issue is more with eBay rather than the seller. If you try to order from anywhere else that you have a risk of getting charged import duties for it flags up on the listing. Jersey is a weird anomaly though as it’s part it the British Isles, but not part of the UK (even though eBay classify it as UK), it this small difference which means getting thumped for import duties & eBay should be on the ball with it.

I agree that it would be useful to know, and I’m sure in this day in age it could be programmed to notify you but maybe it’s down to how the user has registered their address, I think I might’ve put Jersey as a town in the United Kingdom as I wanted to buy stuff years ago and the seller had listed the item as wouldn’t ship outside of the U.K. so it was the only way I could get round the restriction.