Re-Bugged

Brushless motor wiring help please.

Are the colour coded wires/connections on brushless motors and ESC the same across different brands? 

A = Blue

B = Yellow

C = orange    

are a Hobbywing motor I have, so if I hook up to the corresponding colours on a Tamiya TBLE 02 ESC then all will be fine?

• Like 1

interesting topic, now that you are mentioning it... I could think of my friend's F103, he has a hobbywing Ezrun max10 esc (sensored/sensorless) with a skyrc cheetah 13,5T 2590kV sensored motor. (but the esc does not have a sensor plug??) The esc keeps Shooting down the throttle on akward moments. 

would skyrc and hobbywing mesh? 

I believe I have read somewhere about the TBLE, I've also recently bought, it uses the blue wire as + and yellow as -, I connected the for now as blue - and yellow as +, to a RS540 silvercan.

now I am totally confused :huh:

45 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Are the colour coded wires/connections on brushless motors and ESC the same across different brands? 

A = Blue

B = Yellow

C = orange    

are a Hobbywing motor I have, so if I hook up to the corresponding colours on a Tamiya TBLE 02 ESC then all will be fine?

In my experience, yes. I have Trackstar and SpeedPassion (ESC and motor from each brand) and they do match your colours. They came with the wires separate and I had to solder but the instrictions must've said to use those colours as I did

I also just checked my Boomerang with a TBLE-02S and Trackstar motor and yes, your colours are right.

Some of the race brands come with black wires which look cool but not that helpful. They also use 13awg cos its lighter than 12awg!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several youtubers said "B, Y, O" as in 'Bring Your Own.'   

I figured it's universal.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Several youtubers said "B, Y, O" as in 'Bring Your Own.'   

I figured it's universal.  

I have orderd baby blue and pink 14wg wires, thinking of switching all the cables on some models at some point.

Brushless motors is AFAIK AC motors where it does not matter where you put the three wires. We use mostly brushless motors for Racing drones, and all three wires from ESC to Motor are black. If it spins the wrong way we change it in ESC software or swap two of the black wires. In the picture the lower board in the stack is a 4-in-one ESC that has 2 outputs for 2 motors on each side.

IMG_8061.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aviator said:

Brushless motors is AFAIK AC motors where it does not matter where you put the three wires

It might matter a bit, going on the basis that smoke came out of one of my motors when I got the wires wrong :)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, colda said:

It might matter a bit, going on the basis that smoke came out of one of my motors when I got the wires wrong :)

Must be different for brushless motors for cars then. If wire position matters I'm guessing that car motors are possibly two-phase or DC instead of the normal three-phase AC. How many stators are there in these?

It matters in sensored car motors because of the fixed relative position of the sensor to the stator windings.  In sensorless motors including basically all aircraft stuff, the sensing is done via back EMF in the main phase windings, so it makes no difference what wires are connected in what order.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

interesting topic, now that you are mentioning it... I could think of my friend's F103, he has a hobbywing Ezrun max10 esc (sensored/sensorless) with a skyrc cheetah 13,5T 2590kV sensored motor. (but the esc does not have a sensor plug??) The esc keeps Shooting down the throttle on akward moments. 

would skyrc and hobbywing mesh? 

I believe I have read somewhere about the TBLE, I've also recently bought, it uses the blue wire as + and yellow as -, I connected the for now as blue - and yellow as +, to a RS540 silvercan.

now I am totally confused :huh:

For the 2 TBLE 02's I have both are connected to silver cans, I just joined yellow to yellow, and the green motor wire to the blue ESC wire and work just fine. I had no idea which was + and which was - . My reasoning was one matched so went with that. 

• Like 2

Turns out the Blue,Yellow and Orange do match up from the TBLE 02 to the Hobbywing motor. They are now hooked up and working great 👍🏻  

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, Re-Bugged said:

A = Blue

B = Yellow

C = orange    

I got the pleasure of trying this myself today. I gave the Hotshot a Speed Passion 13,5 sensored brushless. This motor had some weird copper plug connectors that needed soldering, a wire and bullet connectors to fit. First test I discovered that changing the TBLE-02S to brushless mode also took away reverse. After turning reverse back on, the Throttle was inverted so I reversed the channel on the transmitter. I tried another endpoint setup (just in case), but the ESC refused to comply. Now I'm considering swapping the ESC for a better one, so I dont have to do the horrible job of opening the radio box again.

IMG_8084.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 7:53 AM, Aviator said:

I got the pleasure of trying this myself today. I gave the Hotshot a Speed Passion 13,5 sensored brushless. This motor had some weird copper plug connectors that needed soldering, a wire and bullet connectors to fit. First test I discovered that changing the TBLE-02S to brushless mode also took away reverse. After turning reverse back on, the Throttle was inverted so I reversed the channel on the transmitter. I tried another endpoint setup (just in case), but the ESC refused to comply. Now I'm considering swapping the ESC for a better one, so I dont have to do the horrible job of opening the radio box again.

IMG_8084.jpeg

I had to read the TBLE 02 instructions a dozen times then sleep on it before attempting to set it up. Like you the first switch to Brushless I had no reverse, but a couple of button presses and it was sorted. I do need to back the brakes off on the Blackfoot though as the slightest touch of reverse had the wheels locking up on the bitumen. Just a bit of fine tuning.

I think I must be the target market for Hobbywing stuff as I'm more or less committed to them by buying the programming box for tuning ESC's, it is soooooo much easier to set things up than just using sequence's of pressing the on button on the ESC its self. You can see exactly whats going on as Boost, Max power etc are displayed in percent on the screen. Piece of cake really. Another nice touch are the connectors on the Hobbywing motors I have are still push fit after being soldered. This came in very handy as I first installed a 17.5 in my Javelin, then easily managed to swop that to a 13.5 which suits it much better. Takes off like a scolded cat now.

xQr7A4O.jpg

• Like 2