Sign in to follow this  
Mhays

What pinion will i need for a konghead

HI

Im new to the site and to rc's and Im going to be building a konghead ..... our lass wouldnt let me have a kit car so ill have to make do with a tamiya .

so i have a tblm-02s brushless motor 10.5t (managed to pick up this motor for £36 from a model shop closing down) coupled with a tamiya TBLE-02   esc  ive got a 2s lipo battery

what pinion would i need ? and what is the difference between the two (i think ive read that you can only use two) will one provide more speed and the other more torque?

im hoping to build a collection of cars and am thinking of making a stretch black foot shell would this be possing to fit on to the g6-01

is there a bashing club for monster trucks in or around rotherham doncaster sheffield?

anyway thanks in advance for the replies

mark

Welcome. 

What kit car were you pondering, (please say Caterham as I have been planning one for a year)?

I haven't started to build my g601 yet until I finish other projects but I can explain the gearing for you.

You are right in your assumption that one is for speed and one is for torque. It all comes down to gear ratios. The fewer teeth count allows more rotations of the motor for each rotation of the tires which translates to more torque at the wheels. 

Maybe someone else can chime in on that specific brushless motors characteristics. You may find the stock brushed motor that came with the kit to be more than ideal depending on how you wish to use the truck. 

either way, have fun with it,

Tony

• Thanks 1

If you haven't, I would recommend getting ball bearings first.  I think mostly it's 1150 bearings (5x11x4mm bearings).  The large number of bushings will sap away the strength, speed and longevity.  Generally, bearings would give you 15% increase in top speed and 10% run time.  Since Konghead has more than twice the number of bushings than other cars, not having bearings will cost you.  (The LunchBox has 11 bearings. Konghead has 36, I think.)

Now that's out of the way... the answer to the pinion is: either.  If you were to run a brushed motor, most definitely 18t.  400-500g/cm torque of the upgraded brushed motors pulling something heavy as Konghead, they can use all the torque they could get.  But... 10.5t's torque could be 2,000g/cm.  That can easily handle 20t.  Since the motor can handle both pinions, it would have been just the preference of speed. 

However, the other thing to worry about is the ESC.  Tamiya says TBLE-02S can handle Tamiya's 10.5t motor.  I have a sense that Tamiya's 10.5t is milder.  It's rated for about 3500KV.  Some 10.5t motors are rated for 4000KV, which would be beyond the capabilities of 60A TBLE-02S.  It depends on the motor, but above 13.5t, 80A ESC is recommended.  You might be able to run 10.5t just fine.  But, considering the ESC, & the weight of the heavier chassis, I think perhaps 18t would be a safer bet. 

You might need the optional fan kit for the TBLE-02S to run a 10.5t motor. I found mine thermaled regulary without one but has been fine with one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

Welcome. 

What kit car were you pondering, (please say Caterham as I have been planning one for a year)?

I haven't started to build my g601 yet until I finish other projects but I can explain the gearing for you.

You are right in your assumption that one is for speed and one is for torque. It all comes down to gear ratios. The fewer teeth count allows more rotations of the motor for each rotation of the tires which translates to more torque at the wheels. 

Maybe someone else can chime in on that specific brushless motors characteristics. You may find the stock brushed motor that came with the kit to be more than ideal depending on how you wish to use the truck. 

either way, have fun with it,

Tony

not caterham i like the look of it but i really like the sonic 7 it uses a ford focus mk1 as a donor so if you get a st170 all sorts of fun can be had

i also like a cobra car that doesnt require a iva test it as you strip all the body panels from a z3 and attach the panels so you keep air con and all the mod cons

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

If you haven't, I would recommend getting ball bearings first.  I think mostly it's 1150 bearings (5x11x4mm bearings).  The large number of bushings will sap away the strength, speed and longevity.  Generally, bearings would give you 15% increase in top speed and 10% run time.  Since Konghead has more than twice the number of bushings than other cars, not having bearings will cost you.  (The LunchBox has 11 bearings. Konghead has 36, I think.)

Now that's out of the way... the answer to the pinion is: either.  If you were to run a brushed motor, most definitely 18t.  400-500g/cm torque of the upgraded brushed motors pulling something heavy as Konghead, they can use all the torque they could get.  But... 10.5t's torque could be 2,000g/cm.  That can easily handle 20t.  Since the motor can handle both pinions, it would have been just the preference of speed. 

However, the other thing to worry about is the ESC.  Tamiya says TBLE-02S can handle Tamiya's 10.5t motor.  I have a sense that Tamiya's 10.5t is milder.  It's rated for about 3500KV.  Some 10.5t motors are rated for 4000KV, which would be beyond the capabilities of 60A TBLE-02S.  It depends on the motor, but above 13.5t, 80A ESC is recommended.  You might be able to run 10.5t just fine.  But, considering the ESC, & the weight of the heavier chassis, I think perhaps 18t would be a safer bet. 

ive seen a full set of 40 bearings for £25 which i was planning on getting

36x1150 and 4x850

10 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

You might need the optional fan kit for the TBLE-02S to run a 10.5t motor. I found mine thermaled regulary without one but has been fine with one. 

hi ive ordered the tamiya fan that goes on to the esc picked it up £15 which i have no idea if this is a good deal or not also picked up a fan and heat sink for the motor too

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

so am i right in thinking that 18t slower than a 20t? do these come with the kong kit? ive not got it yet and will be ordering at the end of the month

5 hours ago, Mhays said:

ive seen a full set of 40 bearings for £25 which i was planning on getting

36x1150 and 4x850

Or you could spend $10 and get 50 bearings.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-685-5x11x4mm-Open-Miniature-Bearings-ball-Mini-Hand-Bearing-Spinner/162470235664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They also sell 850.  $1 for ten.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-MR85zz-5x8x2-5mm-Open-Miniature-Bearings-ball-Mini-Hand-Bearing-Spinner/162470094633?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

These are a bit inconsistent, so I buy more and weed out stiff ones.  Can't complain, considering the price.  Coming from China takes some time.  With the money saved, you already recovered the money spent on the fan.    

The kit comes with 18t pinion.  

23 hours ago, Juggular said:

Or you could spend $10 and get 50 bearings.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-685-5x11x4mm-Open-Miniature-Bearings-ball-Mini-Hand-Bearing-Spinner/162470235664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They also sell 850.  $1 for ten.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-MR85zz-5x8x2-5mm-Open-Miniature-Bearings-ball-Mini-Hand-Bearing-Spinner/162470094633?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

These are a bit inconsistent, so I buy more and weed out stiff ones.  Can't complain, considering the price.  Coming from China takes some time.  With the money saved, you already recovered the money spent on the fan.    

The kit comes with 18t pinion.  

Sounds like a bargain I'll invest!