nowinaminute

58668 VW Type 2 Camper on M-06 chassis - should be on show at Nuremberg

Sounds a bit small. I was hoping it would be a full 1/10 scale on a TC chassis.

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Would make sense on a M06. As I am in need of a M06 in my collection.

any pictures? Same body as a WR02?

The T1 body on the WR-02 is officially 1/12 scale, but I have measured several of the dimensions and compared to the real vehicle, and because of the caricature look, the scale varies. I made a post about it here some time ago, but can't find it, but if I remember correctly, the "largest" dimension is roughly 1/10, whereas the "smallest" is about 1/14. Either way, the 172mm wheelbase can't even remotely be reached with the M06 chassis with the so far available "parts bin" for modifying the M06.

So my assumption is that it's a completely new (non-caricature) body. The 239mm wheelbase of the M06L is quite right for the T1 in 1/10 scale (real one: 2400mm).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Sounds a bit small. I was hoping it would be a full 1/10 scale on a TC chassis.

Not really, I think. The original has a wheelbase of 2400mm and a width of 1660mm, so the M06L would be quite right.  Also, the Maisto VW T1 body is very close to 1/10 in all dimension and is virtually a direct fit on any M-chassis in long wheelbase configuration. As a matter of fact, I bought my 8th Maisto T1 recently to cover my "needs", so it's only logical that Tamiya will release it now! :blink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Not really, I think. The original has a wheelbase of 2400mm and a width of 1660mm, so the M06L would be quite right.  Also, the Maisto VW T1 body is very close to 1/10 in all dimension and is virtually a direct fit on any M-chassis in long wheelbase configuration. As a matter of fact, I bought my 8th Maisto T1 recently to cover my "needs", so it's only logical that Tamiya will release it now! :blink:

The fullsize T1 is a lot smaller than I thought then. I'm hoping that it won't look too out of proportion beside Tamiya's other 1/10 M-size and TC-size shells.

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The fullsize T1 is a lot smaller than I thought then.

Kind of difficult to imagine, isn't it! Back in 1947-1949, when the T1 was designed, passive safety and creature comfort weren't really any issues, especially so that short after WWII, when resources were scarce in Germany and the need for utility vehicles enormous. The first years of production, a rear bumper wasn't in the standard specification! Also, despite a major "facelift" in 1963 (dubbed T1b), the T1 remained basically the same until end of production in 1967. Also, the T2 successor, that was released in the autumn of 1967 didn't get a real safety concept before the introduction of the "facelift" (dubbed the T2b) with the 1973 model year (start of production autumn of 1972).

Tamiya's Wheelie T1 body is a T1b, so I guess the new one will be too.

I wouldn't due to having to mask 20+ windows LOL

Super excited about a bus body though :D

• Like 1

Hard body with interchangeable roof sections for panel van, multiple window options, crew cab and half cab 😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

Hard body with interchangeable roof sections for panel van, multiple window options, crew cab and half cab 😎

Yes, veeeeery likely! :P:rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Yes, veeeeery likely! :P:rolleyes:

Not what i think is likely, but how id like it done!

Lexan single cab pickup then, with hard plastic drop sides 😎

• Like 2

Who would prefer a scale chassis as well?, back to basics, scale model kits suitable for radio control. basically like a static kit, all the engine detail, and chassis structure/ floorpans. but with space for a motor. radio gear is so small now, compared to back in the day. Is what made their way, go back to your roots Tamiya.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Who would prefer a scale chassis as well?, back to basics, scale model kits suitable for radio control. basically like a static kit, all the engine detail, and chassis structure/ floorpans. but with space for a motor. radio gear is so small now, compared to back in the day. Is what made their way, go back to your roots Tamiya.

That would be amazing! And honestly, I would much rather see them do this than keep re-hashing their greatest hits. Don't give us a re-re-re-re of a kit from 1979; give us a modern kit, designed and built to those standards, taking advantage of all the technological upgrades in the past 40 years. Can you imagine a completely redesigned, new from the ground up, true to scale RC model, made to the standards of old Tamiya, with the old kit presentation and box art? They'd sell... well, hundreds of them. And that's probably the problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, Maybe static models should be static.

I think it would appeal more to builders though, I wouldn't buy a static kit, but,.... I would if it had a motor. and the possibility of adding RC.

Scale market is big right now, show them how it's done Tamiya.

Realism is not a beach buggy shell on a DT02. (I had the cowboy one), Imagine that on a proper scale chassis with floorpan detail and a 380 motor tucked inside a scale flat4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, graemevw said:

I dont see a single one of these being built without that body coming down significantly!

...Or the chassis going up. Baja bus anyone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

50689021_1886333371493590_8981722810116210688_n.jpg

Looks pretty much like my WR02 T2 shell I dropped on a Carisma GT12 racing chassis a few years ago, actually mine looked a bit more like the Comical version, but almost dammit identical.

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

definately, with Tamiya alu 53249 rims a beautiful combination. But these rims on the kit are very realistic.

went high on my priority list.

calculating some body changes and realign of my M chassis fleet.

To do list:

1. Get a M02 put on it a 1000TCR body I have now on my M05.

2. Get a M06 T1 kit.

3. Get a M04L beetle kit

4. Get a Mazda Demio body set for my M05.

5. Get a M07 sleeper with Hondy S-MX  body set ( I also like a Tamiya 58265 Toyota bB M-03L body) 

6. Think of a reason to add the TA05 M-Four to the collection and a body for it ... gotta love Tamiya.

Are we thinking this is the same shell as the wr02?

Hope it is because i have a spare shell and no chassis..!