Scipunk

What other hobbies do you enjoy?

Sorry if this has been posted before but as we are all a creative bunch, i wondered what other hobbies you all enjoy? 

For me i paint miniatures, work on restoring vintage Raleigh 3 speeds, building PC's and building military models from WW2 :)

Some pics :

20170302_233559

20160617_04304620160603_0030131964 Raleigh Sports 3 speed20161212_205518jeep47stug73

and finally my biggest pain in the rear project... my real car...lol: 2013 VW Vetta GLI 6 spd dual clutch auto 2.0 turbo

36188192_10216836885181450_2516430319503015936_o

Post up yours with pics!

EDIT Thank you mods for moving to the correct place :)

• Like 4

I used to build 'airfix' kits of WWII aircraft, but the eyesight has got too bad to be able to see what I'm doing now. I'm still doing bits and bobs of machining work for RC but nothing major. I also like putting lego together with my son. Most of interesting stuff I used to do I just seem to lack the time or energy for now, and the RC stuff takes up too much space to make  a start on anything else.

PS, the miniatures look fantastic, do you paint them under a magnifying glass ?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

I used to build 'airfix' kits of WWII aircraft, but the eyesight has got too bad to be able to see what I'm doing now. I'm still doing bits and bobs of machining work for RC but nothing major. I also like putting lego together with my son. Most of interesting stuff I used to do I just seem to lack the time or energy for now, and the RC stuff takes up too much space to make  a start on anything else.

PS, the miniatures look fantastic, do you paint them under a magnifying glass ?

I hear ya on the eyesight. thankfully i near sighted so it helps but it can a pain...lol Lego always fun no matter the age!

Thanks for the compliment, i actually don't magnifying lenses distort my vision so i just hold them close and use my nearsightedness to my advantage :D

• Like 2

Love the miniatures! I have some GW stuff from the 90s hiding somewhere. 

Aside from Tamiya, I build Lego with my son (storing Speed Champions kits for when he is a bit older) and recently fell into collecting early 90s Marvel UK comics. I was a Furman / Senior fan so Deagon’s Claws has led to Death’s Head, Death’s Head II and then on to Warheads, Dark Angel....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badcrumble said:

Love the miniatures! I have some GW stuff from the 90s hiding somewhere. 

Aside from Tamiya, I build Lego with my son (storing Speed Champions kits for when he is a bit older) and recently fell into collecting early 90s Marvel UK comics. I was a Furman / Senior fan so Deagon’s Claws has led to Death’s Head, Death’s Head II and then on to Warheads, Dark Angel....

Awesome, I have painted GW stuff, i just didn't post any pics...lol.  I love me some Lego! How different are the UK ones to the states?

Actually here's one i did, fully custom and out of the box this was painted probably 5 years ago?

20160521_053128

22 minutes ago, Scipunk said:

20160521_053128

Like that! Marvel U.K. was an imprint of Marvel, had a slightly more cyberpunk ethic and centred around a techno-mystic cult as the ‘big bad’ (I think that’s the modern parlance). I have read that the US editions of the U.K. comics pasted pages in guest appearances of Wolverine and others. One massive final battle included X-Men, Fantastic Four, the Avengers and the host of U.K. characters.

Death’s Head has popped up in recent comics including Iron Man, Spider Man, Nova and Guardians of The Galaxy. I’ll have kittens if he ever ends up in the movies! Would be weird but fun given that he was created to be a guest villain in the Marvel U.K. Transformers comic!

• Thanks 1

Lovely models guys, almost pushing me to have a go myself. I can see a very slippery slope there however! 

My old 'main' hobby till tamiya and other cars took over was robot wars. I built very small (75 grams) to large (110 kilo) my username is in reference to my old team :)

Most recent small one (150 gram)

463BLDm.jpg

Medium (6kg each) 

rRP8Bjt.jpg

And the large:

18318595_269228910153791_1759362144_o.jp

• Like 6

my other hobby is more a passion.

I always fancied a trike so when I was about 30 got this, cant find a photo of it as I got it but lets just say I spent more upgrading it than I did buying it. Had it nearing 7 years and did a lot of work to it, new uprated engine, uprated gearbox, uprated front end, light bar, added a 4 speaker waterproof stereo, added top box and loads more I cant even remember any more.

292878_4490427350803_339841480_n

Example of some of the work is the front end. Both seen in photo below.

394138_4490428750838_470123603_n

But it was not the trike I really wanted. That was  Rewaco RF1 but there were silly money.....

So I stopped spending money on the black trike above and put some away. Then scoured Europe and eventually found this a RF1 with a 1100 motor on the far side of Germany.....Man this thing handles.

474974_10200804930557614_1089645529_o

Loved it, did 12K miles in 11 months. BUT it was sooo effortless to ride and such a capable chassis it just begged for more POWER. so back on the internet and less than a year later I am heading to Germany again to bring home this, my current trike. Had it for 6 years now.

st paddys day 16

I love it and have done some interesting gigs with it. 3 weddings now, loads of charity work and sorry to say a funeral as well.

The family know how much I am into my trikes and here was my 40th birthday cake

10302225_10203123925691043_7912204447610988795_n

I have even got the good lady in on it now, here is her first trike. An auto based on Scooter drive train.

18582474_10211609944236203_2385614741650620040_n

Problem was she like me liked it and wanted more power. Its not easy for her to ride my trike as we are such different heights. She cant reach peddles when they are set for me, and I cant change gear when set for her as my knees are round my dangly bits.

So less than a year after we added Baby Blue to the family it was that this arrived home. Photo below was taken on its homeward 1st journey from its previous owner, do they all look happy???

home for 1st time

So the family fleet as it were are

In Blue a Rewaco RF1 ST3 1600 Ford Zetec mid engined 5 speed sports trike &

In Yellow a Boom Muscle Family 4i with loads of upgrades and a Ford 1600 Duratech.

19577208_10155416779732208_6684847221507161221_o

This leaves us capable of taking all 3 kids with us, towing a trailer tent or anything up to 500kG each as both have towbars and generally enjoying the sun shine.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

Lovely models guys, almost pushing me to have a go myself. I can see a very slippery slope there however! 

My old 'main' hobby till tamiya and other cars took over was robot wars. I built very small (75 grams) to large (110 kilo) my username is in reference to my old team :)

Most recent small one (150 gram)

463BLDm.jpg

Medium (6kg each) 

rRP8Bjt.jpg

And the large:

18318595_269228910153791_1759362144_o.jp

Ok those are cool! Always love robotics, never got into it sadly.

51 minutes ago, Baddon said:

my other hobby is more a passion.

I always fancied a trike so when I was about 30 got this, cant find a photo of it as I got it but lets just say I spent more upgrading it than I did buying it. Had it nearing 7 years and did a lot of work to it, new uprated engine, uprated gearbox, uprated front end, light bar, added a 4 speaker waterproof stereo, added top box and loads more I cant even remember any more.

292878_4490427350803_339841480_n

Example of some of the work is the front end. Both seen in photo below.

394138_4490428750838_470123603_n

But it was not the trike I really wanted. That was  Rewaco RF1 but there were silly money.....

So I stopped spending money on the black trike above and put some away. Then scoured Europe and eventually found this a RF1 with a 1100 motor on the far side of Germany.....Man this thing handles.

474974_10200804930557614_1089645529_o

Loved it, did 12K miles in 11 months. BUT it was sooo effortless to ride and such a capable chassis it just begged for more POWER. so back on the internet and less than a year later I am heading to Germany again to bring home this, my current trike. Had it for 6 years now.

st paddys day 16

I love it and have done some interesting gigs with it. 3 weddings now, loads of charity work and sorry to say a funeral as well.

The family know how much I am into my trikes and here was my 40th birthday cake

10302225_10203123925691043_7912204447610988795_n

I have even got the good lady in on it now, here is her first trike. An auto based on Scooter drive train.

18582474_10211609944236203_2385614741650620040_n

Problem was she like me liked it and wanted more power. Its not easy for her to ride my trike as we are such different heights. She cant reach peddles when they are set for me, and I cant change gear when set for her as my knees are round my dangly bits.

So less than a year after we added Baby Blue to the family it was that this arrived home. Photo below was taken on its homeward 1st journey from its previous owner, do they all look happy???

home for 1st time

So the family fleet as it were are

In Blue a Rewaco RF1 ST3 1600 Ford Zetec mid engined 5 speed sports trike &

In Yellow a Boom Muscle Family 4i with loads of upgrades and a Ford 1600 Duratech.

19577208_10155416779732208_6684847221507161221_o

This leaves us capable of taking all 3 kids with us, towing a trailer tent or anything up to 500kG each as both have towbars and generally enjoying the sun shine.

Wow those are some nice trikes! over here im not used to seeing ones so long. 

• Like 1

When I was younger... 10-12 years ago... I got into moper tuning.

my best own setup was

Malossi MHR replica 70ccm

19mm Dellorto PHBG

Malossi HPC crankshaft

Variator and clutch also malossi

Leovince Touring exhaust

and more... no oil pump, only fiel mixture.

this setup was a low rev torque monster with a steady high speed of 90-100kmh.

using the alu cylinder with bigger carburator on a low reving exhaust gives much torque.

I had higher reving setups but this one dod over 30.000km without opening the machine!

in 10 years I had more then 10scooters and a Aprilia MX125 or Yamaha DT125R. Basically anything that is 2stroke got my attention.

this scooter here was bought new from the shop and has had even over warranty multiple setup changes. :)

I still own a Aprilia SR50R 2005 I would make into a racing scooter some day. I bought in from a friend at work, as his son managed to crash the scooter into the sea. Apart from it being in the sea, I paid only 160€ for it. I will do all the work alone. A full rebuild of engine for example is less then a 100€, I will have to  engines, one restricted for registration plates and so, and one for the reat of the year with 70ccm or more? I like the big bore setups.

2hcnknc.jpg

2s0gy8x.jpg

2pouv6r.jpg

fu9wjr.jpg

I swaped this airfilter for a modifies original one later.

• Like 4

I love to dive. I try to get two 10 dive packages a year but it is not alway possible 

I also have a few motorcycles to keep me busy. A modern for Europe travel (when we were allowed) a retro toy and a real classic.

I guess family is my final hobby :p

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

my best own setup was

19mm Dellorto PHBG

Malossi HPC crankshaft

Leovince Touring exhaust

using the alu cylinder with bigger carburator on a low reving exhaust gives much torque.

I had higher reving setups but this one dod over 30.000km without opening the machine!

in 10 years I had more then 10scooters and a Aprilia MX125 or Yamaha DT125R. Basically anything that is 2stroke got my attention.

this scooter here was bought new from the shop and has had even over warranty multiple setup changes. :)

I still own a Aprilia SR50R 2005 I would make into a racing scooter some day. I bought in from a friend at work, as his son managed to crash the scooter into the sea. Apart from it being in the sea, I paid only 160€ for it. I will do all the work alone. A full rebuild of engine for example is less then a 100€, I will have to  engines, one restricted for registration plates and so, and one for the reat of the year with 70ccm or more? I like the big bore setups.

2hcnknc.jpg

2s0gy8x.jpg

2pouv6r.jpg

fu9wjr.jpg

Always loved scooters/mopeds. I wanna get a classic Vespa and just cruise :)

6 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I love to dive. I try to get two 10 dive packages a year but it is not alway possible 

I also have a few motorcycles to keep me busy. A modern for Europe travel (when we were allowed) a retro toy and a real classic.

I guess family is my final hobby :p

My brother was a certified dive instructor years ago (he has tried everything...lol) I could never get into it because of a irrational fear of things that don't belong underwater being underwater. Like i find shipwrecks fascinating but they also terrify me. Same goes for statues, underwater statues will send me out the room...lol 

Good on you for being able to do it, i envy that

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scipunk said:

Always loved scooters/mopeds. I wanna get a classic Vespa and just cruise :)

I had a restored LML Vespa 150ccm 2T AC with 4 speeds, 1989 with Piaggio electronic and switches not the indian one. I really liked it... but I was in need for something bigger and sold it last year

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

my best own setup was

19mm Dellorto PHBG

Malossi HPC crankshaft

Leovince Touring exhaust

2hcnknc.jpg

2s0gy8x.jpg

2pouv6r.jpg

fu9wjr.jpg

I love a 2 stroke as well, my 1990 Aprilia AF1 125 Futura.

High maintenance but very rewarding when it's on song.

J2Vwk3tl.jpgnDyOMdal.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Futura said:

I love a 2 stroke as well, my 1990 Aprilia AF1 125 Futura.

High maintenance but very rewarding when it's on song.

J2Vwk3tl.jpgnDyOMdal.jpg

looks really nice and clean. Is it stock? Carburators stock? I have seen a few here in Croatia, but the conditions the bikes are in are a shame. 

I was thinking to install a 28 VHST flat slider carburator instead the original PHBH 28 carb. As flat sliders should have faster linear response.

never happend as I sold the bike... I still havent got over it. 

edit: speaking of my ex mx 125

• Like 1

It's stock apart from it now has a carbon end can, you can't re-pack the original so it was clogged.

These have a 34 VHSB carb as standard, allegedly puts around 34HP at the crank, when it's working!

I am partial to a bit of 16-bit gaming now and again. Last night I started The Immortlal on the Sega and did a few F-Zero laps on the SNES.

• Like 1

Amazon had "Star Wars: Lost Stars" free for a few days.  Reading that was a mistake... I got totally hooked.  Sneaky Disney!  Giving out free books so I would spend money on the Star Wars franchise!!  But, ha!  None of these are new books.  Oh, man, I forgot about the toys... 

Out of these, only 1 trilogy is a complete series.  I'm missing several books here.  I'm using a receipt from a parking meter as a bookmark. It's thinner than pulp pages.  

FLZDZFI.jpg

Most of my scale tanks are in 35th scale.  But recently, I like the 48th scale.  It's detailed enough.  I'm too lazy to open paint bottles.  So most of my kits are not painted.  Which is ironic.  I put some bolts in the back, so the heavier aluminum barrel would stay balanced.  

ixL4Eh1.jpg

I don't ride much, but I like tinkering with a bicycle.  I put on a mechanical disc brake.  It's surprisingly effective.   

eCX6o1R.jpg

I like cheap fountain pens.  These were $10 for 7 pens!  Inks are expensive, though.  I mix some ink colors.  That's fun too.  

aiVtiA7.jpg

A Bandai sand trooper assembled.  

XvHK3d9.jpg

Mr. Fett assembled and banged up (with a silver sharpie).  

K8wEI7V.jpg

A metal folding kit of K-2SO.

1D9Jdtv.jpg?1

I started to doodle. 

A 2002 calendar book wasn't useful for anything else.  

dTm0XW8.jpg

It doesn't look much, but I liked the doodle below. 

But my wife just scribbled some phone numbers on it.  Come on, could you pretend to be supportive?  (I removed them digitally).  

56osV6s.jpg

4N0GJRa.jpg

GQOwXwP.jpg

I8W20mw.jpg

The time on the faces were starting to annoy me. 

So I picked up a $7 notebook from Target. (or was it a supermarket? They only had lined notes...) 

7WwQ9L5.jpg

Moved onto real faces.  

gM788ua.jpg

WE5tHU7.jpg

I was starting to think some colors would be nice.  I realized that I had red and blue ball-point pens!  Yay!  Some colors! (which looked totally creepy!)

BkP8rUt.jpg

Up to this point, this was the cheapest hobby. 

But I always wanted a drawing pad... 6 months after starting to doodle, I thought I could justify spending $90 on a drawing pad.  My wife agreed that it wouldn't be a total waste of money.  I should have gotten a $160 medium sized one from the start, but at this time, I really didn't know how it would work out.  

well... using a drawing pad doesn't automatically improve skills at all.  At least, erasing stuff was much easier than a ballpoint pen.  

v7SdDWo.jpg

49TEezm.jpg

ABj5h6X.jpg

Coloring took some learning (it's all about smudging!).  I guess serious people spend $600 on Photoshop, but who could afford that?  (plus, I'm not a serious guy)  I spent $26 for Sketchbook Pro 6, instead.  It was already outdated then.  But it works, so who cares.  

JNma8rE.jpg

mkEljh8.jpg

xyypU1a.jpg

jKpVp8o.jpg

8Bja8bj.jpg

Suddenly, I thought, "wait a minute, can I draw a guy?"  So, I tried to draw a dude.  This guy showed up on the sidebar advertisement, some shirt model or something.  Eh, why not?  

wZlS7u8.jpg

A kid too. 

RqEWMwh.jpg

A study of somebody else's painting.  

vY9EI1p.jpg

Tried to draw in a 3D, or illustration kinda way.    

vgV8C08.jpg

Tried to draw like an oil painting.  

NvEFexm.jpg

An animal. 

LOcUGQm.jpg

So far, nothing was from my head.  Which felt like a handicap.  

I wanted to draw a face out of my head so badly.  Around this time, I was playing a game, "Transistor."  The game doesn't really show what she looks like.  Below is the clearest image you can get.   

xD4u8PN.png

So I drew one myself.  Yay!  finally, a face out of my head!  

u5Yh5Zy.jpg

Then I found something cool!  Watercolor pencils!  And actual sketchbooks!  (2 years after starting to doodle, I finally got several sketchbooks)  

A new way of drawing always takes some getting used to.  

Draw like you would with colored pencils.  

SMHt7dB.jpg

And wet it with a wet brush.  Voila!  A watercolor!   

bravXrA.jpg

I got used to drawing on a small area.  I couldn't use a bigger sketchbook.  A small one would have to do. 

OFLORb6.jpg

My mom Skyped me to ask me something, while I was drawing the picture below. 

She asked, "Are you drawing your wife?"  "No, she does not have blue eyes or red hair, mom!"  

The next day, my wife asked, "is this me?"   "What is up with you guys!?"  

VYXYCvI.jpg

Scarface. 

1fwY99T.jpg

i6DknLh.jpg

You'd think that I know a thing or two about colors by now.  So I could finally paint my tanks! 

But using the airbrush is loud and it takes a lot of effort to clean it.  And I don't like the smell of paint. They remain unpainted.  

Once I was used to drawing faces, I was going to draw bodies... then these guys would be used as posers...

tw3FA0O.jpg

But I got back into RC in 2017.  I kinda stopped just when I could draw from imagination. 

At least I got to learn how to paint a driver's face.  I guess all this was useful for something (other than clogging up a thread..).  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Juggular said:

I started to doodle

They are lovely - that is a true natural talent you have there. Great work and a pleasure to see it.

I have no free hand drawing skill what so ever as what I picture in my head never seems to transfer in moving a pencil around in the same way.

• Thanks 1

Keep drawing man, people make a living with less talent.

Find a wordy friend and do kids books based on Tamiya kits. Or how about redrawing some box art....

• Thanks 1

Very cool drawings Juggular!

But if I was your wife, and you started drawing attractive womens faces mostly with no tops on in provoacative poses on paper all around the house I wouldn't support your hobby either :lol:

Just trying to think their logic.

I know mine would ask: "Who is she?!" :rolleyes:

Well done though.

Edit:

1,The second one in the top pic has a kind of wild wendy feel to her

2, draw your wife. If your Mum asks, and you wife asks, draw your wife.

Frame it and give it to her as a spur of the moment present. She will take your hobby more seriously, and you should be able to draw it from your memory. Do it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1