Scipunk

What other hobbies do you enjoy?

Thank you, it means a lot.   

Since drawing is a solitary thing, I never know if I'm doing it right or wrong.  To me, Mona Lisa looks like a lady without eyebrows who gives creepy smiles to neighborhood boys. I never thought Mona Lisa was even good looking.  What does that say about my sketches?  I may draw a face, but it might look like a koala to everybody else.  Which is why it's humbling to see encouragements. I appreciate it.  I think I'll pick it up again.   

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, graemevw said:

I play with old motorbikes and build hifi. Tend to collect a fair bit of vinyl.

what sort of hi-fi are we talking about and vinyl

25 minutes ago, topforcein said:

what sort of hi-fi are we talking about and vinyl

I build turntables, tonearms, valve amps, speakers, whatever i want really. I currently have a lenco l70 with audio technica arm and rega apheta moving coil and a technics with a linear air bearing tonearm. I have a much modified el84 valve amp, a diy valve phono stage, diy stepped attenuator and a pair of tannoy dual concentrics in diy transmission line cabinets. I also play with electrostatics a bit.

As for vinyl, mostly rock/indie/alternative/electronic but some older stuff and a splattering of classical too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, graemevw said:

I build turntables, tonearms, valve amps, speakers, whatever i want really. I currently have a lenco l70 with audio technica arm and rega apheta moving coil and a technics with a linear air bearing tonearm. I have a much modified el84 valve amp, a diy valve phono stage, diy stepped attenuator and a pair of tannoy dual concentrics in diy transmission line cabinets. I also play with electrostatics a bit.

As for vinyl, mostly rock/indie/alternative/electronic but some older stuff and a splattering of classical too.

very nice i my self have just brought myself a vintage setup and managed to drop on a pair of jbl's with the foams gone and i replaced them myself i do have a more recent seperates set but i tend to use the vintage set more

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 1:08 AM, graemevw said:

Nice! I specialize in Technics SL1200 series. Please check out my page if you have time.

https://web.facebook.com/Works1200/

My other hobbies are diecast models (mainly Lamborghini and Toyota). I also customize, modify the cars, create dioramas and more. Other collections I have are Star Wars toys and models, I love toy photography as well. I also collect vinyl records (mostly house music). I used to have a huge collection of 90s dance. 80% of them were borrowed and never returned.

Check out these pages:

SV

Hot Toys - Stormtrooper -Luke - Deathstar

R2-D2

P1130337

Above is my DJ set at home.

• Like 5

Didn't we do this thread already? Oh well... anyway...

1:1 cars - I have a 1971 MGB GT that I bought a couple of years ago. It was a Hawaii car for most of its life, and was stored for many years. When I got it, it needed a lot of work from neglect, but now it's a reliable weekend driver. I also have an old Chevy 4X4 pickup that's my daily driver, but also kind of a project. (Both of these have their own threads in here somewhere.) Someday, I want to do a frame-up rebuild/restoration of something, and I told my wife she gets to pick it out when the time comes, and she'll probably choose a '50s Ford truck (her only RC car is a Midnight Pumpkin). Fine by me; I'll wrench on anything.

Guitar/bass - I've been playing guitar since I was 18. Played everything from blues to hard rock/metal to alt-country. Currently I have an Epiphone Les Paul, a Telecaster that I built from a kit, a Samick copy of a Fender P-bass, an Ibanez Talman acoustic, and a nice Epiphone acoustic from the 70s that I inherited from my mom. After years of thinking bigger was better when it comes to amps, these days I only have one: a little VHT all-tube 1x10 combo. It's plenty loud for me, and if I plugged in an extra cabinet, I'm sure I could play out with it. Only six watts, but that little sucker can make some noise.

Static models - I've started collecting static model car kits, and building a few here and there. Most of them are staying NIB for now, however. I'm focusing on Monogram, AMT, and MPC kits from the 70s and 80s, but I have plenty of others as well. I'm up to 40 or so kits, at last count. I'm especially interested in the MPC "Golden Opportunity" kits, though I don't think Round 2 (who currently owns the MPC trademark) would still honor the tokens...

Recorded music -We have a few hundred CDs and a couple hundred LPs. I dislike downloads/rips unless I'm taking an iPod on a trip or something. Usually I prefer listening to vinyl, or a CD. (Sometimes cassette; my wife still has all her old cassettes, and they still get played once in a while.) I have an old Technics turntable, but it's the cheaper SL-Q200; a 1200 is too rich for my blood. In terms of music taste, our collection defies description; I have multiple albums from both Rush and John Denver, as well as nearly the entire Alan Parsons Project catalog, and I might have the only iPod in the world with both Harry Chapin and Ministry on it. Dire Straits, Procol Harum, and the Police are also favorites. But then, so are the Replacements, and Ambrosia, and Toto, and Judas Priest. And Seals & Crofts, and Dokken, and Gerry Rafferty. And that's just off the top of my head.

Books - I'm a constant but slow reader; I get through 10-15 books a year, usually reading a little bit every night before bed. I tend towards sci-fi and fantasy; currently I'm finishing up Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. Next on the docket is Noir by Christopher Moore.

Cooking/baking/wine - My wife and I almost never go out to eat anymore. Due to some weird food sensitivities, it's better for her to cook her own food, so that's what we do. She has gotten to be quite a good cook, and I'm getting there. And we both like to bake. Also, being surrounded by good vineyards as we are, we've been learning about wine, and we've taken a couple of classes on pairing food with wine. And of course, we're in craft beer country as well, though it must be said that I can't stand IPAs, and that's what everyone around here seems to make.

"Cars and girls and drinks and songs," as Ike Reilly once said, "make this world spin around."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2019 at 7:10 AM, Nicadraus said:

My other hobbies are diecast models (mainly Lamborghini and Toyota). I also customized, modify the cars, create dioramas and more. I also collect Star Wars toys and models, I love toy photography a well. I also collect vinyl records (mostly house music). I used to have a huge collection of 90s dance. 80% of them were borrowed and never returned.

Check out these pages:

SV

Hot Toys - Stormtrooper -Luke - Deathstar

R2-D2

P1130337

Above is my DJ set at home.

Nice setup surprised to see the technics cdjs which had nothing but complaints when released, i know over the years some mods improved them. My other hobby is djing and vinyl. I have over 5000 records, started spinning in 1990. Spun regularly in nyc and new jersey in the mid 90s to mid 2000s. My home set up is now 3 1210 m5gs, 2 cdj 2000s  and an allen & heath 92 rotary mixer. I am on vacation so i cant post a pic right now

When it's windy:

qwFLqCPXry9H5cfF9IhYD1KP_clean.jpeg.19c86d8b3e680e7eb7c117b45de9806e.jpeg

When it's a little bit windy:

13240156_1146205882118299_1535807768171543266_n.jpg.2104c253123113365ccab49e3a2747e7.jpg

and RC when there's no wind at all :D 

Used to have bikes, but now with kids and a new work schedule there's literally zero time to ride. This was my last - and best - bike:

IMG_0206.thumb.JPG.c5743aaec41127c566dcc0e1be6fce24.JPG

... although I still have an NS400R in storage that would love to be restored...!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 3:21 AM, markbt73 said:

We have a few hundred CDs

Do you use Discogs.com?  I still collect music too, and mostly on CD.

CDs are coming back eventually, at least as respected collection items. Some of them are getting pretty valuable now. I'm into a lot of electronic, ambient....and rare CDs in that genre can be $100+ each without any trouble at all. Not that I sell any.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:21 AM, markbt73 said:

Books - I'm a constant but slow reader; I get through 10-15 books a year, usually reading a little bit every night before bed. I tend towards sci-fi and fantasy; currently I'm finishing up Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. Next on the docket is Noir by Christopher Moore.

I've read the Mars Trilogy, and recently read Robinson's Aurora too. Currently trying something a little different - The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. Just finished Phillip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream..." (found it a bit underwhelming). Have a decent sci-fi bookshelf though, with lots of Arthur C. Clarke, who was always my #1.

I also collect DVD/Blu-rays actually. Streaming movies? Not for me. Despite a career in technology, it's as though my entire private life is retro....

Why pay fees every month forever, for a mediocre and ever-changing library of stream-able films? :P  Instead, I decided to stick with curating my own physical film library, and this brings me a surprising amount of satisfaction. All my favourites are there, forever. Plus perfect film quality, every time. And it's another facet of my collector nature I guess. Of course, much like with the books, I have a lot of science fiction and science fiction soundtracks, and recently set up a little media room for it all. Talk about nerding-out.

Not really into superhero movies. Instead my area is films like Gattaca, Annihilation, Stalker, Solaris, 2001, Blade Runner, The Fountain, Ex Machina, Moon, Interstellar, Alien and many more along those lines. If it's one of those, or anything like those, I probably have it, have seen it, or know about it. :D

H.

PS. @Juggular you made this thread hard for everyone else mate, well done. :P Amazing artwork.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for kind words. 

9 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.

Ooh, I meant to read that.  I read The Earthsea series, but didn't get to the Left Hand yet.  I have to say I prefer hard SF, like Robert Heinleine. (It's fun to see what 1960's people thought of the 21st century. They thought we'd have 5 brothers like they did)  

I like teen books, like the Black Cauldron series.  But not quite as young as the Borrowers. (I guess my mental age is older than 9, finally)  I like Gattaca!!  It was a box office dud, but I thought it was a hidden gem. Moon was cool too. I haven't seen few of the movies you listed, I might check them out.  I'm thinking about getting a blu-ray player, so I could use it on our projector.  All I have is Clone Wars animated series though (what can I say, I am 13 years at heart).   

IunzQDh.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Just finished Phillip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream..." (found it a bit underwhelming).

PKD works best if you simply read all of his books, you'll find that he reused and developed a lot of his basic storylines over and over again. Together they kinda form a big picture that's more than the sum of its parts. 

• Like 1

LeGuin is one of those authors (Terry Pratchett is another) whom I need to read, but haven't gotten to yet. Definitely a PKD fan, also Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury. And Frank Herbert; gotta love a SF novel that has both a glossary and a timeline at the end. Which is also why I liked Anathem by Neal Stephenson so much. (Snow Crash and The Diamond Age are two other favorites of his.)

We've got a huge DVD/Blu-Ray collection too, but it's all over the place. Everything from Amadeus to Clerks, and then some. I lean towards the artsy sci-fi or psychological thrillers; my wife likes big silly action movies (she has all 3 Expendables movies). And we both have a thing for costume dramas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure if there might be a separate thread for it, but lately I've been getting into vintage furniture and other household items. I'm moving in together with my girlfriend in a new appartment and we've been collecting a bunch of cool items for our new house.

The thing that really speaks to me is old appliances from the 1950-1970's. Since I'm from Eindhoven, I really like Philips stuff because it's from my city. I was looking for one of their iconic Infraphil infrared solar lamps and ended up getting 8+ of them in an absolute bargain deal on a local auction site. The one I got is from the mid 1950's. It's the 7529 model designed by Charlotte Perriand in 1952 and is the most iconic Infraphil model.

I designed and 3D printed a couple of pieces to fit a modern E27 socket inside the lamp and have it look completely factory from the outside. The 3D printed pieces fit exactly in the square hole in the lamp and the spacing is exactly right for modern 125mm LED filament lightbulbs. I added new cloth wire and a plug that fits modern earthed sockets. I'm waiting on the last 3D printed piece to arrive, which is a plastic cap/nut that will replace the metal nut on the back of the lamp. I've modelled it after the original plastic caps that were on the 7529 Infraphil's original socket.

_09B37531.jpg

_09B37491.jpg

_09B37381.jpg

Luckilly I found a smoked mirror tinted 125mm LED bulb so the lamp now looks almost the same as it did with the original infrared bulb. This is the first one I'm finishing up and after I'll be making a few more to sell or to give away to friends/family.

• Like 2