TurnipJF

M-08 predictions?

If history is anything to go by, Tamiya usually release a new RWD M-chassis a while after its FWD sibling. The M-07 has been out for over a year now, so I wonder when we'll see the M-08 appearing? Given that I have just started upgrading my M-06, and they released the M-07 just after I started upgrading my M-05, Murphy's law says it will be soon.

What sort of design cues and features will we expect to see on the M-08? I'm thinking an exoskeleton chassis is pretty much a given, looking at the TA-07, TB-05 and M-07 designs. I am also thinking some sort of flippable gearbox that allows the car to be built with rear or mid-motor placement is possible. We'll probably also see extended shock towers as standard to use touring car shocks, with low-profile towers offered as an option for those who want to use TRF short shocks or M-chassis shocks, as with the M-07.

What else do you think we'll see?

• Haha 1

I’m not familiar with the M06 but understand it can do S/M/L wheelbases. It would be good if it can still do so but do Tamiya produce any 210mm shells any more?

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I’m not familiar with the M06 but understand it can do S/M/L wheelbases. It would be good if it can still do so but do Tamiya produce any 210mm shells any more?

The Tamiya Mk1 VW Golf has a 210mm wheel base but I don't know if they sell the shell seperately.  Anyone else know of other 210mm wheelbase bodies?  A RWD Golf just doesnt seem right.

• Like 1

I would love to see the M07 with some body sets... for example the 58444 Fiat, my and my buddy are buying 2 if somebody has seem them somewhere.

I am not hyped about a M08, as I need to stock up, I decided M chassis are my collectibles, I want to have multiple of them... never experienced something similar. :)

• Like 2

I wish they make an extendable chassis.  I don't mean spacers that requires 37 bolts to undo (it's far less than that, but still...).   

I have M06 Alpha Romeo, I want Alpine too, but that requires shortening the length.  It's not realistic to switch every time, so I gave up.  I don't want to buy a new chassis either.  If it were a snap, I could buy several different shells.  If it takes less than 30 seconds to change the length, though, it's probably not going to be strong enough...

Oh, I hope M08's rear motor doesn't stick out as much as M06, so Lancia Stratos or Relault 5 turbo body could fit.  

Be nice if they could do one chassis, maybe belt driven, that could be configured fwd or rwd.  Front, mid or rear motor.

I shall call it.... M0X.

That'd be really sweet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If history is anything to go by, Tamiya usually release a new RWD M-chassis a while after its FWD sibling. The M-07 has been out for over a year now, so I wonder when we'll see the M-08 appearing? Given that I have just started upgrading my M-06, and they released the M-07 just after I started upgrading my M-05, Murphy's law says it will be soon.

What sort of design cues and features will we expect to see on the M-08? I'm thinking an exoskeleton chassis is pretty much a given, looking at the TA-07, TB-05 and M-07 designs. I am also thinking some sort of flippable gearbox that allows the car to be built with rear or mid-motor placement is possible. We'll probably also see extended shock towers as standard to use touring car shocks, with low-profile towers offered as an option for those who want to use TRF short shocks or M-chassis shocks, as with the M-07.

What else do you think we'll see?

I am really an M06 fan, so waiting for the new version since release of M07. For sure M08 will have the new wishbone Setup of M07, and the new plastics and probably the similar kind of 1 piece chassis. should give some weight savings, too. But I have the fear, that it will also support MWB and LWB only, like M07. The switchable gear box would be great, but maybe hard to realize on a tub chassis. Actually I´m just building an M06 with Carbon chassis and midddle engine based on a Eagle racing chassis kit. Want to use it for a Lancia Stratos and Fiat Abarth Body as a Sunday fun racer... 

21 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Actually I´m just building an M06 with Carbon chassis and midddle engine based on a Eagle racing chassis kit. Want to use it for a Lancia Stratos and Fiat Abarth Body as a Sunday fun racer... 

Hope you are doing a build thread?

Lack of bodies is what's keeping me from ordering an M07.  The chassis looks great but there just isn't much of an option when it comes to bodies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

How you are doing a build thread?

Yes, plan to do a build thread for TC. Just waiting for some parts to arrive.:rolleyes:

Since there are driveshafts in the back, it's impossible to change wheelbase by rotating arms without effect on handling. So i gues it'll have rear axle+gearbox subassembly similar to M06. Which also means possibility of modular MR/RR gearbox.

• Like 1

This thread makes me want a M06 Giulia while I can get one. What’s better than a brace of Giulia? Three, of course!

• Haha 2

I knew it! Murphy's Law strikes again.

Just as my purchase of M-05 upgrades appeared to trigger the release of the M-07, so has my purchase of M-06 upgrades somehow triggered the imminent release of 58669!

At least we won't have long to wait to see which of our predictions are realised...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Just as my purchase of M-05 upgrades appeared to trigger the release of the M-07, so has my purchase of M-06 upgrades somehow triggered the imminent release of 58669...

I’m going to HAVE to get an M06 Giulia now...

I wonder if we will ever see the M-07 and M-08 released as full kits? Or will they remain chassis-only as befitting their racing aspirations?

I think Tamiyas new strategy is to release majority of new onroad chassis kits without bodies. 

The only kits that will include bodies will be the entry level such as TT02 

7 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I think Tamiyas new strategy is to release majority of new onroad chassis kits without bodies. 

The only kits that will include bodies will be the entry level such as TT02 

How did the TA06 go?  That is still available as a basic kit with bodies, and there are some of the racing models around.  It would be nice if they would release a more basic TA07, M07 etc with body, ESC, motor, tyres as an alternative to the TT02.  I imagine if they swapped the TRF dampers for CVA and could probably find a few other bits, then they could add the others and keep the price similar to the TA07Pro which would make it an attractive option compared to a TT02.

13 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Just as my purchase of M-05 upgrades appeared to trigger the release of the M-07, so has my purchase of M-06 upgrades somehow triggered the imminent release of 58669!

At lest we won't have long to wait to see which of our predictions are realised...

Thats how it works, now channel your powers to help the NZ cricket team beat India today...

Where did you see the announcement?  I take it there are no pics or details yet?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Where did you see the announcement?  I take it there are no pics or details yet?

Here:

TA06 is discontinued. The kits that include bodies you see are all remainders.

Starting with the TB04, Tamiya started with chassis kits only. This has continued with the TA07, TB05. 

Im sure from their perspective it cuts costs and simplifies the number of kits

TB04 actually was released with three bodies (La Ferrari, Eneos Sustina, and NSX Concept), but I agree with you in principle.  TB05, TA07, and M07 have not been released with bodies so far.  They seem to be moving away from releasing mid-level kits with bodies for on-road cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trend that I don’t like is that these new kits are the base kits. Where as in the past we would get a basic kit with a body and then the second option would be the pro kit. I always preferred the pro kit.

With the M07 they started with the base kit with no hop ups and no body 

2 hours ago, Raman36 said:

The trend that I don’t like is that these new kits are the base kits. Where as in the past we would get a basic kit with a body and then the second option would be the pro kit. I always preferred the pro kit.

With the M07 they started with the base kit with no hop ups and no body 

Would you say the TA07 Pro is as basic as it could be? It has TRF dampers at least...

@TurnipJFwhat did you do about the cricket? A complete turnaround today, although it could have been the bookies having something to do with it...

• Thanks 1