TurnipJF

M-08 predictions?

47 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Would you say the TA07 Pro is as basic as it could be? It has TRF dampers at least...

@TurnipJFwhat did you do about the cricket? A complete turnaround today, although it could have been the bookies having something to do with it...

You make a valid point and I’m actually off on my comment / theory. The TA07 was released as a “Pro” kit and so was the TB05. I need to brush up on the current Tamiya offer before offering anymore theories lol. 

its the M07 concept that was released as a basic kit.  Now we are seeing the M07 R at Nuremberg. 

• Like 1

That begs the question, are we getting a plain old M08 or a M08 “concept”... marketing jargon thingy. 

To be honest I am not sure what makes an M-07 Concept a "concept". If it was a limited release to test the market in preparation for a wider release of a kit of slightly different spec, then I could understand it, but as it is, it appears to be just a name with no meaning behind it.

However, they have set a precident now, so we may very well see an M-08 Concept released first, then an M-08R about a year later.

Does it really matter? There is now a M07 R without “concept”

im just happy they’re still continuing with RWD

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 4:48 PM, TurnipJF said:

To be honest I am not sure what makes an M-07 Concept a "concept". 

I think it was test for Tamiya to see, if more advanced, competition-aimed mini would sell well enough. M07 is not succesor of M05, it's better alternative and new series - that's why they called it concept. M08 will be part of these new series so i think it won't be "concept" anymore.

Btw, I don't get why Tamiya announced M08 during major event without showing it...

20 minutes ago, Honza said:

Btw, I don't get why Tamiya announced M08 during major event without showing it...

As far as I know, they didn't announce it in Nuremberg at all.

4 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

As far as I know, they didn't announce it in Nuremberg at all.

I  understand the M08 is confirmed. My educated guess is the chassis is likely to be announced at the HobbyShow in April/May.

I can wish all I want, I wish the M08 is front motor and rear wheel drive to fulfill my Miata/Alfa/S15/etc fantasies of a drivetrain that reflects the 1:1 car respectively.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

FireFox,

Did you ever test Your XV01 as a RWD.. by disconnecting front drive train and letting belt run rear? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

FireFox,

Did you ever test Your XV01 as a RWD.. by disconnecting front drive train and letting belt run rear? 

haha no no, i'm always overstressing its driveline anyway.  It's now due for a partial rebuild from running a 13 turn in it after previously running 3300kv on 3S.

Yes well 3S will do it.

Believe it or not, I’m still running on my original gears.. going 8 years strong! But I run 17.5 with boost. Belt is probably going snap off soon haha. 

I just returned from the mountains in Utah, where we got lots of snow. Had the XV and RC4WD D90. I handed the XV over the kids 3 @ 5 year olds lol.. with 60% throttle though.. they had a blast with it. It’s now being taken apart for a cleaning. The steering servo is on the fritz.. I think the potentiometer drank some snow juice. Sending it to Futaba for repair.  Love the XV chassis

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I  understand the M08 is confirmed. My educated guess is the chassis is likely to be announced at the HobbyShow in April/May.

It is indeed confirmed, and I agree with you. It's such a significant release that I don't think the official announcement will be in just a "monthly new releases", but as part of an exhibition. The Shizuoka Hobby Show (May 8.-11.) would seem a good candidate.

• Like 4

May :o I won’t have any hair left if I have to wait till May.. no no it must be in April.. as my birthday is on 8 April.. M08 = April 8 :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Raman36 said:

May :o I won’t have any hair left if I have to wait till May.. no no it must be in April.. as my birthday is on 8 April.. M08 = April 8 :D

No, it will be announced in May and released in September for MY birthday!! Sorry 'bout that :mellow:

• Haha 2

Birthday dates aside, when do we realistically expect to see it released in the UK for sale?

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The M-08 might look a bit like this?

Back to mid-motor again? :blink:

Dang. I kind of hope not. I thought making the M06 a true RR was a step in the right direction.

That does look nice though. I wonder if there will be a carbon deck option this time 'round?

11 minutes ago, OCD said:

Back to mid-motor again? :blink:

Dang. I kind of hope not. I thought making the M06 a true RR was a step in the right direction.

That does look nice though. I wonder if there will be a carbon deck option this time 'round?

Is that a backwards step though? Very few 1:1 cars are RR, except arguably the best one...911 if anyone had any doubt.

Given Tamiya have been releasing cars with different motor positions (TB05 and TA07) and its really common in the offroad world to have multiple options in the same kit (Ultima RB6.6 has 4 all included in the kit, RR, 3 and 4 gear standup and a laydown) surely the best thing would be to include both rear and mid in the kit so the user can choose?

Looks like a cool kit though, kind of a mini TB05

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Is that a backwards step though? Very few 1:1 cars are RR, except arguably the best one...911 if anyone had any doubt.

Maybe. I dunno. I'm not really a racer, but I thought that the RR configuration gave the M06 some fun & yet marginally realistic handling traits. It's a blast to drive them IMO B) 

And I agree with you on the lack of available RR bodies to pair with the chassis; It's also a bit of a pain finding bodies that fit over the rear-hanging motor. :unsure:

But let me ask you this: will an MR chassis allow for a 210mm wheelbase? :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OCD said:

Maybe. I dunno. I'm not really a racer, but I thought that the RR configuration gave the M06 some fun & yet marginally realistic handling traits. It's a blast to drive them IMO B) 

And I agree with you on the lack of available RR bodies to pair with the chassis; It's also a bit of a pain finding bodies that fit over the rear-hanging motor. :unsure:

But let me ask you this: will an MR chassis allow for a 210mm wheelbase? :D

I probably shouldn't have even been commenting on this thread since the closest I have been to an M chassis is when I took my bro-inlaws M01 off his shelf and looked at it...

I can't see why the MR wouldn't work on a 210mm wheelbase, wouldn't that still leave room for the rest of the stuff? Especially if Tamiya accept lipos are a thing and design it for shorty packs.

• Like 2

The MR arrangement is normally associated with a more rear bias battery position. When you RR the motor the battery is typically shifted further forward. As long as the overall position of the weight is similar I doubt motor in front or behind will make all that much difference except for people wanting to use M chassis Porsche shells that Tamiya don’t currently make. 

I’m gonna get one regardless lol

• Like 2

Maybe there will be a Smart Fourfor from tamiya if RR?

1502875384157.jpg

I would like to see something that suits the MX5.

If I am not mistaken, the mazda mx5 isnt a fit on a M06

• Sad 1