TurnipJF

M-08 predictions?

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

21764909_881061468727087_706359166821027

The M-08 might look a bit like this?

That’s an M07 with front and back swapped .. it may look like that.. we will have to wait and see 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

surely the best thing would be to include both rear and mid in the kit so the user can choose

I agree with that. However, M-chassis are aimed as budget cars, so I doubt it will have more parts than neccesary. But when you look how M-chassis gearing works, it shouldn't be that hard to design one gearbox, that can be used for both layouts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Honza said:

I agree with that. However, M-chassis are aimed as budget cars, so I doubt it will have more parts than neccesary. But when you look how M-chassis gearing works, it shouldn't be that hard to design one gearbox, that can be used for both layouts. 

Although I really would appreciate this feature, it´s quite a challenge on a bathtub chassis. I do a mid engine conversion at the moment on an M06 kit with Eagle racing Chassis parts, which makes it a little easier. The M06 gearbox is very compact and separated, so you can easily swap it around, but the surrounding engine needs a lot of space to clear (quite impossible to hack the M06 plastic tube this way). But there is the spark of hope for that option, as Tamiya did release the shaft drive 4WD cars with switchable engine positions…:rolleyes:

state of play:

P1100387.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Maybe there will be a Smart Fourfor from tamiya if RR?

1502875384157.jpg

I would like to see something that suits the MX5.

If I am not mistaken, the mazda mx5 isnt a fit on a M06

Would like to see some classic cars instead of a Smart. Mazda 2 is sad enough:wacko:. Simca 1100 Coupe or something from the good old times. What would be really cool: A classic "narrow" early 911, without big fenders. Or Lancia Fulvia for Raman...

Another cool shell from a friend of mine on his M06, LWB: Opel GT (from a german eBay seller, which does it´s own bodies, Racers paradise)

IMG-20190224-WA0022.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Would like to see some classic cars instead of a Smart. Mazda 2 is sad enough:wacko:. Simca 1100 Coupe or something from the good old times. What would be really cool: A classic "narrow" early 911, without big fenders. Or Lancia Fulvia for Raman...

Another cool shell from a friend of mine on his M06, LWB: Opel GT (from a german eBay seller, which does it´s own bodies, Racers paradise)

IMG-20190224-WA0022.jpg

Sure, but driven by the lack of RWD Tamiya bodies IMO. It would be nice to own a M05ver2 Mazda 2 and a M08 MX5... 

I like the european car market, they are daily seen cars but rare, 90's car market are my childhood years...

but honestly a M08 Ford Lotus Cortina would be something pleasent to my eyes. 

Cortina%20Mk1%204dr%20orange%20-%20large

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I can't see why the MR wouldn't work on a 210mm wheelbase, wouldn't that still leave room for the rest of the stuff? Especially if Tamiya accept lipos are a thing and design it for shorty packs.

You're right. In fact after I thought about it, I remembered that the M02 was MR, and it worked just fine. I never understood why they didn't give us a 210mm M04 though... Perhaps introducing dampers on all four corners was where the engineers called it a day?

12 hours ago, Juls1 said:

The MR arrangement is normally associated with a more rear bias battery position. When you RR the motor the battery is typically shifted further forward.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not a competitive racer, so tuning for best traction isn't something I'm familiar with. I have more fun driving slow cars fast ;). But I am genuinely curious as to why MRs get rear bias, but RRs get forward-biased battery placement 🤔 Why is that? The M06 has longitudinal placement, and even then the manual has you building it with the rearward battery position. Do the racers have an issue with the factory setup? Personally I find the M06 to be a great handling chassis in its native state ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt motor in front or behind will make all that much difference except for people wanting to use M chassis Porsche shells that Tamiya don’t currently make.

You forgot: Beetle, Fiat TCR 1000 Abarth, NSU TT, and a least a couple different Porsche bodies from aftermarket manufacturers. Colt even makes a Fiat 1000 that fits the M06 without trimming the firewall out :rolleyes:

I’m gonna get one regardless lol

Me too :lol:

• Like 1

The Rear bias for weight transfer. When you are on throttle the weight transfer goes to the rear. When you’re off, it shifts to the front. If you have too much to the front, the rear will loose grip. This is bad on a rwd. This is why the M06 has the battery back.

Now Tamiya did not build these cars with droop / down stops which allow you to adjust weight transfer. For this reason, we build the M06 front shocks with very little droop, by placing o-rings. Mine has almost no droop. 

This allows me to move the batter to the front, leave on centre or all the way back, depending on my steering and traction needs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

The Rear bias for weight transfer. When you are on throttle the weight transfer goes to the rear. When you’re off, it shifts to the front. If you have too much to the front, the rear will loose grip. This is bad on a rwd. This is why the M06 has the battery back.

Now Tamiya did not build these cars with droop / down stops which allow you to adjust weight transfer. For this reason, we build the M06 front shocks with very little droop, by placing o-rings. Mine has almost no droop. 

This allows me to move the batter to the front, leave on centre or all the way back, depending on my steering and traction needs 

Thanks Raman, I was hoping for some clarity on this. I've read much of the M06 thread on the RC Tech forum with great enthusiasm and really learned a lot from your own posts there. I actually went on to adjust the droop in my front dampers as a result 🍻

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Although I really would appreciate this feature, it´s quite a challenge on a bathtub chassis...

... But there is the spark of hope for that option, as Tamiya did release the shaft drive 4WD cars with switchable engine positions…:rolleyes:

I think that M08 will be designet with same "cage frame" chassis as TA07. That makes plenty of space for different layouts :)

Your conversion looks great :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Sure, but driven by the lack of RWD Tamiya bodies IMO. It would be nice to own a M05ver2 Mazda 2 and a M08 MX5... 

I like the european car market, they are daily seen cars but rare, 90's car market are my childhood years...

but honestly a M08 Ford Lotus Cortina would be something pleasent to my eyes. 

Cortina%20Mk1%204dr%20orange%20-%20large

Pedant mode... i dont believe thats a lotus.

Edit, pretty sure all mk1 lotus cortinas were 2 door.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, OCD said:

Colt even makes a Fiat 1000 that fits the M06 without trimming the firewall out :rolleyes:

You might be a harbinger of good news I was looking for! 

I was afraid that it didn't have enough space behind the rear tires.  The M06's rear end sticks out about 2.75 inches (7cm) behind the center of the rear axle.  The body didn't look like it has that much space in the back.  If it doesn't stick out, I would love to get this body.  

5t43Ey2.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

You might be a harbinger of good news I was looking for! 

I was afraid that it didn't have enough space behind the rear tires.  The M06's rear end sticks out about 2.75 inches (7cm) behind the center of the rear axle.  The body didn't look like it has that much space in the back.  If it doesn't stick out, I would love to get this body.  

It's good news my dude, this body fits an M06 like a (really tight) glove B)

Here is is on my only 210mm M06, which also happens to have wide axles:

TfONxHP.jpg

The photo doesn't really portray how close the rear valance is to the motor housing... Basically the lexan is making contact at the outermost tip of the chassis. It's tight, but it does fit! Of course this chassis is basically slammed to the ground, so I imagine a slightly higher ride-height would put it  higher the shell and gain clearance at the bulge in the rear lid 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, OCD said:

It's good news my dude, this body fits an M06 like a (really tight) glove B)

Here is is on my only 210mm M06, which also happens to have wide axles:

TfONxHP.jpg

The photo doesn't really portray how close the rear valance is to the motor housing... Basically the lexan is making contact at the outermost tip of the chassis. It's tight, but it does fit! Of course this chassis is basically slammed to the ground, so I imagine a slightly higher ride-height would put it  higher the shell and gain clearance at the bulge in the rear lid 👍

Thank you!  I feel like I found a gold coin on the side of a road!  I wasn't even looking for the answer, and randomly it appeared. With a precise photo too!  I'm going to order it.  This means I might have to shrink the chassis.  Or I'll just get another M06.  A good shell is worth the chassis.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, graemevw said:

Pedant mode... i dont believe thats a lotus.

Edit, pretty sure all mk1 lotus cortinas were 2 door.

Ahhh now I understand. Yes could be, I am certainly no expert, I watched a british TV show where they restored a mk1 Cortina coupe, such a lovely car, it just happen that I chose a 4door picture of google :)

30 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Totally excited!

36 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Totally excited!

Same here!

Ahh yes additional bodies would be nice. Hopefully they will include the 210mm ..  then I’d love to see the Alfa Giulietta SZ... that Zagato body is a work of art.. and since Tamiya released a Stratos in 1/24 a proper one for the M07 would be nice 

But I’m doubtful as they skipped the 210 mm on the M07.

other wishes:

1. Porsche 550 and 356, new cayman 

2. Alfa 4C

3. Rerelease Renault R5 as a proper body set

4. Rerelease Abarth 1000 TCR as a body set

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Ahh yes additional bodies would be nice. Hopefully they will include the 210mm ..  then I’d love to see the Alfa Giulietta SZ... that Zagato body is a work of art.. and since Tamiya released a Stratos in 1/24 a proper one for the M07 would be nice 

But I’m doubtful as they skipped the 210 mm on the M07.

other wishes:

2. Alfa 4C

3. Rerelease Renault R5 as a proper body set

4. Rerelease Abarth 1000 TCR as a body set

Totally with you my friend! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Hopefully they will include the 210mm

It depends on available bodies. IIRC, only 1/10 210mm FWD was Mini, which Tamiya doesn't make anymore. It made M07 simplier, so it was logical to not include 210mm variant. They did same thing with M04.

M08 might be different. Tamiya might still re-release A110 and Abarth 1000 and RWD drivetrain needs more complex system of wheelbase change, which might allow all 3 wheelbases.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, Raman36 said:

Ahh yes additional bodies would be nice. and since Tamiya released a Stratos in 1/24 a proper one for the M08 would be nice 

2. Alfa 4C

The 4C would look perfect as a 210mm, it's so short!

Any of the Caymans would make a nice 239mm option, they did the Boxster on the M02 in that length.

• Like 2

Bumping to ask... 

Are they done with M07 and M08 "concept?" 

Or do they release kits with different shells later?  

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

Bumping to ask... 

Are they done with M07 and M08 "concept?" 

Or do they release kits with different shells later?  

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't release a kit with a body. It doesnt appear that TB05 or TA07 will be released as complete kits like the earlier TA and TB cars were. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Raman36 said:

M07/M08 = chassis ala carte. No bodies. You need to buy separately 

That's why it's an M07/8 "Concept", it's the opposite of concept cars full scale which usually are a pretty body with no working mechanicals!  :D

• Haha 1

I got a Nissan Silvia 239mm body ready for the M08 that I want to buy, also... I bought a M02... my firsy m chassis RWD, all stock but really fun. Cant wait to get my hands on a M08, to ask whike here, does the M01 Mini body fit on the M07? Is there a 210mm lenght build option?