maraach

Vintage tamiya lipo in Australia?

Hi guys looking for somewhere that sells a compatible lipo for vintage tamiya's like the hornet and hotshot (134mm long I believe) that would be available in Australia.. I've found them in the US and UK but can't get them shipped here. Any help appreciated. There is a race meet here (vintage) start of March I'm trying to enter.

Gens Ace make some which should be easy enough to track down in Aus. This is a link to a NZ shop which has some in stock, no idea if they ship to Aus but they have 2 gens ace in the 'classic' shape so hopefully the model number is useful. I have bought heaps from this shop and they have always given excellent service too.

https://www.rchobbies.co.nz/gens-ace-2s-7-4v-3000mah-25c-classic-rc-car-lipo-battery-roar/

Gens Ace are everywhere here so thinking it will be the same there...

17 hours ago, maraach said:

Hi guys looking for somewhere that sells a compatible lipo for vintage tamiya's like the hornet and hotshot (134mm long I believe) that would be available in Australia.. I've found them in the US and UK but can't get them shipped here. Any help appreciated. There is a race meet here (vintage) start of March I'm trying to enter.

I'm sure you can find the right battery at HobbyKing online, plenty of batteries that can fit a Tamiya car. I just go small 2s LIpo with 2200mah and 35-70c burst, it so light that the car zips around faster. Plenty of run time and lots of power. I just tape the battery to the car if it's too small so that it doesn't move around too much.

Any recommendations on a HK battery that will fit? 

I have found the gensace but I thought at 138.4mm it would be too long for the hornet? I thought I read on here somewhere that 134mm was the max length in was looking at

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:11 AM, maraach said:

Any recommendations on a HK battery that will fit? 

I have found the gensace but I thought at 138.4mm it would be too long for the hornet? I thought I read on here somewhere that 134mm was the max length in was looking at

You can always go smaller, atleast that way it will fit for sure.

• Like 1

Where about s are you @maraach?

With batteries they will only be sent via road freight in Australia. If you are near Brisbane ( or any major city ) it might be best to take your car in to a Hobby shop to see what will fit. It is also worth considering where the battery wires come out the pack too. As I opted for a Gens ace 5000 hard pack that is 138mm long but the wires push into the top of the battery instead of poking out the end. I primarily got it for my Javelin but it will fit in a Blitzer tub and even in the clear electronic box of my SRB. 

It took the guess work out for me going to a bricks & mortar shop in Rockhampton being new to Lipo. 

That being said I would say you would be pretty safe with a pack that is the same shape as a conventional stick pack. And generally come with a Tamiya plug on it to. 

Dont forget you will also need a Lipo charger too 😉

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 6:43 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Where about s are you @maraach?

With batteries they will only be sent via road freight in Australia. If you are near Brisbane ( or any major city ) it might be best to take your car in to a Hobby shop to see what will fit. It is also worth considering where the battery wires come out the pack too. As I opted for a Gens ace 5000 hard pack that is 138mm long but the wires push into the top of the battery instead of poking out the end. I primarily got it for my Javelin but it will fit in a Blitzer tub and even in the clear electronic box of my SRB. 

It took the guess work out for me going to a bricks & mortar shop in Rockhampton being new to Lipo. 

That being said I would say you would be pretty safe with a pack that is the same shape as a conventional stick pack. And generally come with a Tamiya plug on it to. 

Dont forget you will also need a Lipo charger too 😉

I'm in Sydney. All good with lipo charger :). II've been racing off-road for acouple of years now. Have way too much lithium in my house for comfort but will generally run through 9 batteries on race day.

• Like 1

Those 4000 gens ace that Jonathon Gilllham posted wont fit a hornet. They are too long and if have the wires at the servo end they dont exit the centre of the battery so this will hinder fitment anyway. They will fit in some round pack vintage applications, but certainly not a hornet.

If it is not for racing purposes you could get a smaller soft pack and wrap it in foam.

• Like 1

Indeed you were right. I got acouple on the weekend and both are way too big for any of my current cars (GH, GH2, Hornet, Lunchbox).

Unfortunately no can do with the soft pack. Racing requires a Hard case battery. No softcase allowed.

If I can work a way to manage wiring I may run a shorty with spacers.

Mine fits in the lunchbox, granted its a tight fit, but it gets in there.

You sure you can't import from Europe? The CoreRC and Yuki Brainergy ones are pretty successful with the UK lads...

Being in Australia, take a look at Intellect. I'm sure they make one that fits?

Lee

Hi, I got these from Hobby Habit in Adelaide. Very happy with them. 

Fit the old models and have a standard plug.

20-30min run time with a silver can.

DB1E6310-D219-4074-A9A9-CA26B0926BF1.jpeg.eafad0e625117ab33e1c93120fd16e08.jpeg

B3878B7E-8F90-4FB3-A959-203855D4830D.jpeg.e365bf8556b789b07f083b6eca93fd6f.jpeg

I got a Turnigy Nano-Tech Shorty battery for my F103. It is 98*47*25 and is 4200maH. I used 2 pieces of foam to centre the battery and stop it sliding around. Got it from HobbyKing's Canberra warehouse.

Not sure if it will fit your cars due to the wires being on top and not at the end. But worth checking out,.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:57 PM, maraach said:

Oh interesting!

When you say old models which ones specifically?

F101

Hotshot

Frog

aint no school like the old school! 🙂