Hi all. I think I have been scammed on Gumtree. Found an item, agreed price and postage and sent over payment via PayPal (friends and family, probally a bad idea) and have heard nothing for 4 days. No answer to emails or text. I guess that's the chance you take. 

It is sad to read stories like this :(

In here banks can help sometimes when problems like this arise. Or perhaps the paypal payment could be somehow "tracked" to help locate the people or accounts that get/receive the money.

I really hope you find a way to solve the problem!

8 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Wasn't an M38 WW in Ipswich was it..?

No. Please explain though. 😁

Theres a scammy traders section of the forum if this turns out to be bad news....you could always post in there as well with any pictures the seller used, email addresses etc so that others dont get done over by the same person.

Dont know why but gumtree always seems a bit shady to me.

I'm sorry to hear you think you've been scammed!  This sort of rubbish (and I'm using polite language because of the filtering) really gets my blood boiling😡 I've never used gumtree so I've no idea how it works but I'm assuming its similar to Ebay so surely they have the same money back system that Ebay do and PayPal can trace payments because they have access to bank accounts🤔

Never actually bought anything through Gumtree although have browsed on the odd occasion.

Always assumed it was for local buying & selling only - pick up in person & pay in cash.

Trading by post on Gumtree is incredibly dodgy - there's no feedback system and, if you pay by 'Friends', probably no chance of getting your money back either.
The whole idea with Gumtree is you trade face-to-face

Pretty sure sellers can delete all trace of the ad too, so there's not much stopping them relisting under a different name tomorrow.

https://help.gumtree.com/s/article/What-to-Do-If-I-ve-Been-Scammed

https://help.gumtree.com/s/article/PayPal-Scams

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Theres a scammy traders section of the forum...

Not for Gumtree there isn't; https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/76433-gumtree-dodgy-traders/

2 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

No. Please explain though. 😁

Popped up late Thursday - a dust loft find, boxed, unbuilt LWB M38 for £300; I'd had a crappy day at work so couldn't be bothered to drive over and see it, so didn't enquire.

Seemed pretty genuine on face value, declaring a slightly damaged box, but there were no pics other than a stock library one, so I didn't feel comfortable paying over the phone.

Hope yours comes good.

I got caught out very early on in my buggy re interest coming up to Christmas. 

Spoke to the guy on the phone, sounded genuine enough. 

My mistake was to send the money friends and family....UNLESS you know them OR they have a reputation to protect (like on here with care) Always use goods and services and pay the fee yourself. Also when you send the money describe what your buying and attach a photo from the add. This means you have protection- PayPal are actually very good IF you have went goods and services.

Now I am a lot more cautions. Try and get another photo that they could ONLY take if they have it. Ask for a photo of the package with you address on it once they have added the postage (this way they cant send to themselves or a mate therefore getting a signature...)

UPDATE.

Gumtree have confirmed the account of the seller is fraudulent and PayPal have provided a refund, without any argument. You live and learn ...

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, Hairyjon313 said:

UPDATE.

Gumtree have confirmed the account of the seller is fraudulent and PayPal have provided a refund, without any argument. You live and learn ...

u got lucky there dude....very!:o!........NEVER pay f&f unless u know therm.....:rolleyes:.

3 minutes ago, evssv69 said:

u got lucky there dude....very!:o!........NEVER pay f&f unless u know therm.....:rolleyes:.

Yep I know. Was strange, the guy I spoke to at PayPal gave me the usual no refund for f+f purchases and then suddenly he changed to we will refund you within 24 hours. It's like he saw the seller was dodgy or maybe I'm a good customer. Have learnt my lesson though. 

I don’t suppose It was a Tamiya Porsche? 

Bingo.

I saw it 2hrs after it was advertised and bounced on it in minutes. I was asked to pay via gift and I said no, I’ll pay the fee or send me some feedback to prove it’s not a scam.

Never heard back so that was my answer! 

14 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Bingo.

I saw it 2hrs after it was advertised and bounced on it in minutes. I was asked to pay via gift and I said no, I’ll pay the fee or send me some feedback to prove it’s not a scam.

Never heard back so that was my answer! 

I honestly don't know what I was thinking. It was clearly too good to be true.