Scipunk

Thinking of getting into TC road course racing

The TB03 looks like it's got the modern Tamiya suspension mount layout, so certainly from a spares and upgrades perspective you'll be able to strap TRF416/8/9 suspension parts onto it no problem. It's does only come with ball diffs though, which might not be ideal for high grip, and Tamiya never did a gear diff. Spec R did one, but it's over 60 bucks to do both ends. Maybe a gear diff in the rear and a tight ball diff in the front might be good? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

This couldn't have come at a worse time...lol I am broke after all my bills hit at once. What a perfect kit this would have been :( Jon if you want it buy it have it shipped here then i can hold it for you ;) (wonder what postage for that from US to NZ would be?)

4th accidental post because the site glitched...LOL

3 hours ago, Scipunk said:

This couldn't have come at a worse time...lol I am broke after all my bills hit at once. What a perfect kit this would have been :( Jon if you want it buy it have it shipped here then i can hold it for you ;) (wonder what postage for that from US to NZ would be?)

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I could make that fly here.  Its better than my one but for about half that amount I could make mine close enough.  I don't need more touring cars since they are my 3rd racing option after 10th and 8th offroad.

If it was a buggy I would be seriously tempted because you can't have too many buggies right?  I had to resist yesterday when 4 Associated buggies came up on facebook marketplace.  All basically brand new with some hopups and including Savox servos.  NZD$250 each for the 2wd and NZD$300 each for the 4wd.  I don't need to replace my current Kyosho's but I could have set those ones up for mod...or something

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I could make that fly here.  Its better than my one but for about half that amount I could make mine close enough.  I don't need more touring cars since they are my 3rd racing option after 10th and 8th offroad.

If it was a buggy I would be seriously tempted because you can't have too many buggies right?  I had to resist yesterday when 4 Associated buggies came up on facebook marketplace.  All basically brand new with some hopups and including Savox servos.  NZD$250 each for the 2wd and NZD$300 each for the 4wd.  I don't need to replace my current Kyosho's but I could have set those ones up for mod...or something

Funny you mention that as i have a pair of buggies here and was considering selling one, probably my YZ-2 its got a trinity equalizer 17.5, Savox servo, HW Xerun 110 and a new wave 5600 5c 2s lipo on it. the other is my XB2 13.5 fantom /savox /HW 120amp that im loving more and more...lol
here's the YZ2 (i have changed the battery holder to the YZ2T one as i like it better. 

20190117_164927

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If wanting to do both onroad and race a Tamiya there are three main routes.

Cheapest / Beginner Tamiya TT02-S. The cheapest way to get a chassis that will get around the local track. It is not going to destroy the top level cars but with a few choice hop-ups it is able to be a good introduction into the class. It is easy to build, adjustable and easy to drive. I have hopped one and also designed a few special parts for it (Roll bar mounts, and a top deck). I even raced it in the national and scored a place in the B-Final. The amount I spent on it to go that far is way past what you would normally spend, although there is also something to be said about the concept of just investing in small chunks as your ability gets better. (Top upgrades - Alloy Prop, High speed gear set and yeah racing adjustable motor mount (Povides you with the ability to change the gearing to match the low FDR you need for high turn motors etc), Front universals, Front diff locker (Spools are great). Centre carbon deck etc.

Intermediate / Beginner : Tamiya TA07pro. This kit is a great price and not much more than the TT02-S (I am not referring to the TA07 R or TA07MS here). This car is very good as it comes with some great hop-ups and importantly shares a lot of the DNA of the TRF419 and TRF419X. The kit chassis is good to go at the local club, although I would suggest buying the roll bar set once you get the car around the track as it will allow you to tune the suspension more. The kit chassis is quite flexible which is ok on most tracks as it makes the car easy to race, although if running in America you will want to get some of the carbon stiffeners, or the carbon tub to help stiffen the car up. In the uk I have added these just to try it, but it is too stiff for indoor carpet in my opinion. 

Intermediate / Pro : TRF419XR or TA07MS these are both top end touring cars designed by the Tamiya Racing Factory. They are both very good, the XR is the best TC I have ever raced, its quick and consistent. It has everything you need to win the A-Final in the box other than the most important thing which is actual skill. In reality all of the top end cars can win, but it is down to other aspects such as set-up, driving skill, tyre prep etc.  The TA07Ms is also up there, and the motor adjustment means it could well be better at some tracks than other Top end chassis as it will have a more refined weight bias. 

I enjoy racing my Tamiya's :)
Here are some links

https://www.thercracer.com/2018/08/brca-uk-national-rd5-halifax-tamiya.html

https://www.thercracer.com/2018/06/42316-tamiya-trf419xr-build-review-and.html

TA07ms and TA07 reviews will be on www.TheRCRacer.com soon, along with a big guide on tuning the TT02-S :)

• Like 2