Man1c M0nk3y

Wheel Hexes. Comparability.

A quick one and possibly silly/easy one. 

Is there any reason I can’t use Tamiya 53823 5mm Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hex on the Top force. 

I’m thinking not a problem but spec is saying only specific cars so before I hit buy is there some random reason I’m not aware of that will prevent them working on the TF or even the DT03 say. Is it more a case of the ‘models it fits’ is just those that they were an official ‘hop up’ for. 

Just now, Juls1 said:

99.9% they will work ok

Nooooo. I’ll stress about that 0.01% now 😂

I’m equally open to suitable alternatives 

I’ve bought and used various hexes including the Tamiya ones. Can’t say I have had any that didn’t fit all my regular Tamiya cars. 

Obviously some of the TRF off roads and the DB buggy’s use different axles but all the base model cars/buggy’s all pretty much the same. 

• Like 1

Just now, Juls1 said:

I’ve bought and used various hexes including the Tamiya ones. Can’t say I have had any that didn’t fit all my regular Tamiya cars. 

Obviously some of the TRF off roads and the DB buggy’s use different axles but all the base model cars/buggy’s all pretty much the same. 

Cheers Juls1. I pretty much assumed that to be the case but still too new to be totally confident. 

The only issue I've had, is , the wider hex you go, the less shaft there is for the nut and you have to switch from nyloc to serrated flange nuts.

DT03, with 8mm x 12mm hex.

2019-01-26_01-48-54

• Like 2

Cheers @Wooders28 makes sense. I’ve measured the kit plastic ones for both kits and they are around 5-6mm (I really should get some vernier calipers) so the nuts shouldn’t be an issue as these would be in the same range. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The only issue I've had, is , the wider hex you go, the less shaft there is for the nut and you have to switch from nyloc to serrated flange nuts.

DT03, with 8mm x 12mm hex.

2019-01-26_01-48-54

Awesome car / tyre combo

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

A quick one and possibly silly/easy one. 

Is there any reason I can’t use Tamiya 53823 5mm Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hex on the Top force. 

I’m thinking not a problem but spec is saying only specific cars so before I hit buy is there some random reason I’m not aware of that will prevent them working on the TF or even the DT03 say. Is it more a case of the ‘models it fits’ is just those that they were an official ‘hop up’ for. 

The only issue I see is that they are 1mm thinner than the stock items, so you will be sacrificing 2mm track width overall.  You could use the 53569 ones instead. At a full 6mm, they will preserve the stock width of the model. 

• Like 1

I have many and various random hexes between 5 and 7mm wide and they all work with tamiya wheels on stock axles. Only very slight issue I have come up against is mounting Schumacher wheels which have a shallower hex so only really work with 5mm (just) and 4mm (better) wide hexes. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The only issue I see is that they are 1mm thinner than the stock items, so you will be sacrificing 2mm track width overall.  You could use the 53569 ones instead. At a full 6mm, they will preserve the stock width of the model. 

Yeah. Was thinking that. At least it would be all in the TF but on the DT03 would ‘maybe’ have an effect just narrowing the rear slightly. 

I’ve seen the 6mm. A little bit of I wanted blue really going on there 😂 in fairness it’s probably the route I’ll take. 

29 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have many and various random hexes between 5 and 7mm wide and they all work with tamiya wheels on stock axles. Only very slight issue I have come up against is mounting Schumacher wheels which have a shallower hex so only really work with 5mm (just) and 4mm (better) wide hexes. 

I imagine they are so shallow on the back (the wheels) as the wheel hex’s on the Cougar I’m building are much thinner than the Tamiya ones. Much better design imo too, at least in stock form, but that’s another story!

Depends on the rims u are using, I ran into problems with a TA05 and 26mm rims even with 7mm hexes they connected on full steering. No probs with 24mm rims.

So it kind of depends on how the rims (offset) and axles are on what kind of hex width u can use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, waterbok said:

Depends on the rims u are using, I ran into problems with a TA05 and 26mm rims even with 7mm hexes they connected on full steering. No probs with 24mm rims.

So it kind of depends on how the rims (offset) and axles are on what kind of hex width u can use.

Makes sense. On the TF and the DT03 if I bothered with that one it’s standard Tamiya wheels albeit not kit standard. I think however in both case they’d be fine in terms of contact. 

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

One thing, do they have to be Tamiya? You can get 3 sets of Yeah Racing ones for the same price...

Nope. Doesn’t have to be Tamiya. Just have to be good and work. 

I’ve been looking at the Yeah Racing ones also as the bits I have already put on the TF seem decent quality so certainly an option. 

Ultimately the pin type are just fine. Looking at alternatives though. 

• Like 1

I bought some cheap clamping hexes for my Top Force.

Problem was, even when clamped as tight as they could go they just easily pulled straight off the axles.

Better quality ones might work better but I opted for the Tamiya metal pin type ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

I bought some cheap clamping hexes for my Top Force.

Problem was, even when clamped as tight as they could go they just easily pulled straight off the axles.

Better quality ones might work better but I opted for the Tamiya metal pin type ones.

Think I’ll just stick to the same for now tbh. I’ve already got them. I know they work. Saves any potential hassle. 

I’ve never had any issues with the clamping yeah racing units. In fact almost everything yeah racing and 3racing is decent, except their shocks.. yeah racing and 3racing shocks have always been below expectations for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Juls1 said:

I’ve never had any issues with the clamping yeah racing units. In fact almost everything yeah racing and 3racing is decent, except their shocks.. yeah racing and 3racing shocks have always been below expectations for me. 

Is it Yeah Racing ones you used on you Manta Ray build?

Funny you should ask that, they came on a second hand TA03, I don’t know if they are genuine Tamiya or GPM. They seemed like good quality so maybe they are genuine. 

The yeah racing ones only seem to come in blue, if I want silver I’ll typically buy GPM (rcdamper on ebay), one of few things I’ll trust gpm to make, (gpm is also pretty terrible with shocks). 

If you’ve only got one car to buy them for then it might be worth considering genuine Tamiya units, if your like me and your buying them for 5 kits at a time, several times a year,  then the medium priced units are worth considering. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

Funny you should ask that, they came on a second hand TA03, I don’t know if they are genuine Tamiya or GPM. They seemed like good quality so maybe they are genuine. 

The yeah racing ones only seem to come in blue, if I want silver I’ll typically buy GPM (rcdamper on ebay), one of few things I’ll trust gpm to make, (gpm is also pretty terrible with shocks). 

If you’ve only got one car to buy them for then it might be worth considering genuine Tamiya units, if your like me and your buying them for 5 kits at a time, several times a year,  then the medium priced units are worth considering. 

Cheers. Possibly Tamiya as it seems the 6mm only come in silver. 

I’ve got 2 cars. The TF needing 4 and the DT03 would only need 2 so if buying the Tamiya it’d be an expensive way of getting 2 but then I’d have 2 spare and an excuse for another build!

I’m not 100% at the minute. Trying to draw some plans up for the cars. They are the kids now as I’ve got something else to play with so possibly a waste of money on their cars. 

Might just grab a pack of the YR ones as see what I think. 

I’ve just taken delivery of 2 sets of 5mm Yeah Racing clamping ones. 1 set is for my MF01X. Annoyingly, it looks like the stock plastic ones are more like 6mm! How much difference will it actually make?

For my XV01 that I am building soon, does anyone know if they are 5mm or 6mm as standard?

On 1/29/2019 at 1:58 AM, Juls1 said:

Funny you sy that, I have Yeah Racing in silver because they were abput $1 cheaper than blue. I so wamted blue but you can't see them so I couldn't justify the extra $1...I'm not sure what that says about me.

http://www.rcmart.com/tire-wheel-adaptor-washer-c-35_780.html?pstatus=0&filter_id=47&sort=1a

They are still $1 cheaper!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Funny you sy that, I have Yeah Racing in silver because they were abput $1 cheaper than blue. I so wamted blue but you can't see them so I couldn't justify the extra $1...I'm not sure what that says about me.

http://www.rcmart.com/tire-wheel-adaptor-washer-c-35_780.html?pstatus=0&filter_id=47&sort=1a

They are still $1 cheaper!

Well you’ve made me laugh my head off. Always the way. If you want it you can’t find it or it’s out of stock, when you don’t want it, it’s easily available.  Hmm I think Tamiya rc is just like that generally. 

• Like 1