Sign in to follow this  
RCvet

Driver Name Origins?

I am sure this has been discussed but I cannot find, anyone know the process or person / persons who came up with all the classic driver names?  Vanessa, Ramblin Ron, Jay Lynch, etc. etc.   

• Like 1

Blackholesun.fr has a topic on it's website on the drivers and some interviews great reading stuff.

It does not answer the question per se about the mysterious inner workings of Tamiya business decisions and where the names came from.  Some of the ones like Ivan Stewart that were real people of course but the fictional ones?  Who were they, was it a committee that came up with them, was it a secret seal team?

Who will ever know what craziness goes on in the heads of people coming up with this stuff?  I'm not sure if any of the Tamiya history books cover the subject.

Most people involved in creative roles will have books filled with notes and folders full of source material.  It would be interesting to know if any of that was recorded.  These days it's easier as most of it will be digital, it's cheap to store and if interest is high it's a great source for additional income: publish the story behind the creative process and include lots of original notes, drafts and source material.  I doubt any of it was digitized in the 80s besides the final product.  I'd love to think that lots of that original material survives somewhere in a cardboard box full of books and folders that a designer took home with him when he retired twenty years after scribbling the first "Crash Cramer" signature onto a rough drawing of a Hotshot.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Who will ever know what craziness goes on in the heads of people coming up with this stuff?  I'm not sure if any of the Tamiya history books cover the subject.

Most people involved in creative roles will have books filled with notes and folders full of source material.  It would be interesting to know if any of that was recorded.  These days it's easier as most of it will be digital, it's cheap to store and if interest is high it's a great source for additional income: publish the story behind the creative process and include lots of original notes, drafts and source material.  I doubt any of it was digitized in the 80s besides the final product.  I'd love to think that lots of that original material survives somewhere in a cardboard box full of books and folders that a designer took home with him when he retired twenty years after scribbling the first "Crash Cramer" signature onto a rough drawing of a Hotshot.

the more I think of the sentence....

''Being nuts is NEAT!'' - Paranoid Perry. the more I want to be like Perry. :D

• Like 1