ralphee

Dynastorm re'rebuild.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, ralphee said:

Still a few bugs to iron out. The bend for the kick up, using 3mm Kydex is critical. Too soft a bend and it affects the pivot block seat. A V3 is almost finished which should wrap this part up finally. Then I just need to create a spacer between the upper deck and pivot block to allow it to seat.

Been a learning curve, much harder than 2mm due to the thicker Kydex being trickier to bend so acute, but worth it I hope you can see the rear pivot block screws in the bend here, which is incorrect, hence a lot of fuss on creating that perfect kick angle.

Lee

20190223_173457.jpg

Hi Ralphee, just wondering which suspension arms did you took?

I like it a lot. It is a great tribute to the Dynastorm. One of my all time favourites. Mine is still fully original except for the front arms which are the Nimrod carbon reinforced versions. It used to have the Nimrod lower deck but i went back to the original.

spacer.png

• Like 1

They're both beautiful, they give me nostalgia; my DS with genuine Tamiya carbon chassis, it's locked away in storage, I haven't seen it for years...

IMG_1020.jpg

• Like 1

This is such a beautiful car. I’ve got a new in box dynastorm on the way. 

Im so torn as I really want to build it but it feels like sacrilege to destroy the blister packs!

Build it! They're so awesome and heck, it's a re-re, they're made for building. This is mine... have a vintage NIB also.

DynaPainted03Custom.jpg

• Like 1

This is the first Tamiya re-release I ever bought. It's a beautiful car and it had to be built!

dynastorm.jpg

• Like 2

It always amazed me how Tamiya's and other brands - basically started designing everything to look like an RC10 or RC10 graphite, or Losi at one point.  I commend them for taking their game up a notch because as a kid there was really 2 tiers

Kyosho - Tamiya (Tamiya I thought was better) - Traxxas seemed to be just starting around 1992/93ish?  They had their RC10 wanna be car - I forget the model.

and then above that:

Associated - Losi - Schumacher - if you were a serious offroad racer.   And really you were either an an RC10 guy or a Losi racer.   JRX I believe.

Sorry for the tangent, great models tho! :)

On 7/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

It always amazed me how Tamiya's and other brands - basically started designing everything to look like an RC10 or RC10 graphite, or Losi at one point.  I commend them for taking their game up a notch because as a kid there was really 2 tiers

Kyosho - Tamiya (Tamiya I thought was better) - Traxxas seemed to be just starting around 1992/93ish?  They had their RC10 wanna be car - I forget the model.

and then above that:

Associated - Losi - Schumacher - if you were a serious offroad racer.   And really you were either an an RC10 guy or a Losi racer.   JRX I believe.

Sorry for the tangent, great models tho! :)

Yeah. Tamiya really started edging closer and closer to doing an RC10 Team car copy though, even if it never really transpired into a production kit. The 211X (dynastorm prototype) was very much inspired by the RC10 worlds car ran at Detroit, but that car was never seen again and the short-arm RC10 did very well internationally after that. The "works" Dyna Storm had a different bulkhead made for shorter arms that had the exact same geometry as the RC10, same at the rear.. I think if they ever would've released a successor to the Dyna Storm, it would've had the Dyna Blaster plastic chassis and the short arms.

But at that point the Losi XX was already out and it changed the concept again, and then the touring car era started.. :(

Right, forgot.. a piece of update that might be of interest to anybody running the Dyna Storm..

I've finally found a solid alternative to the kit universals that won't require switching hubs/arms or anything like that. A combination of re-re Egress wheel axles, 201/501X rear CVD bones and re-re Egress hardware (drive pin, middle part + grub screw) gives almost exactly the same geometry as the standard units, they're around 0.5mm shorter but only at the bone part - wheel axle is identical, and there's plenty of margin in the outdrive. 

It's not a cheap option since there's no combined kit, but the parts can generally be found with a bit of patience. Way more durable and smoother in action.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, pUs said:

Right, forgot.. a piece of update that might be of interest to anybody running the Dyna Storm..

I've finally found a solid alternative to the kit universals that won't require switching hubs/arms or anything like that. A combination of re-re Egress wheel axles, 201/501X rear CVD bones and re-re Egress hardware (drive pin, middle part + grub screw) gives almost exactly the same geometry as the standard units, they're around 0.5mm shorter but only at the bone part - wheel axle is identical, and there's plenty of margin in the outdrive. 

It's not a cheap option since there's no combined kit, but the parts can generally be found with a bit of patience. Way more durable and smoother in action.

Great you found a replacement for the original CVDs. Can you post pictures of the mod and/or the parts numbers?

Just stumbled upon this topic while looking for some Dyna Storm backgrounds.

Dyna Storm front uprights, how easy are they to find?

Just ordering at Tamico seems not to be an option, not unexpected btw.

Or any alternative from a current car that could fit?

Hi. the usual replacement are 3D printed parts. You can find them on shapeways from ORB and Wrenchdog (me).

: )

In fact you can even have a full Dyna Clone :lol:

This is how they look in raw bevor spraypainting.

c_hub.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Collin said:

In fact you can even have a full Dyna Clone :lol:

The whole car is 3D modelled and parts available via 3D printing?  :o

I expect that would cost quite a bit though?

1 hour ago, legooolas said:

The whole car is 3D modelled and parts available via 3D printing?  :o

I expect that would cost quite a bit though?

Basicly I already drew all plastic parts and carbon parts. Gearbox internals, CVDs, dampers, clutch you need to have but all other parts are replaceable with replica parts.
Shure it cost a good load but you will have a very rigide Dyna Storm at the end. :wub:

• Thanks 1

LOL 150 CAD :lol: No way.

Everything around 350 should be realisitic for a complete Dyna Runner, still expecting some broken parts. At least this are the usual prices here in Autria or Germany.

Yes, the parts from the link are the one I made.

4 hours ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

Just saw this beauty listed on tamiya legends 650 uk dollars 

Can you link it please?

Edit: I guess you are talking about facebook? Its private so I can not see it. Also I guess you talk about the TamiyaLegend copy of Lees Dyna and NOT the original from this topic. :mellow:

5 hours ago, Collin said:

Can you link it please?

Edit: I guess you are talking about facebook? Its private so I can not see it. Also I guess you talk about the TamiyaLegend copy of Lees Dyna and NOT the original from this topic. :mellow:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IconicRCSales/permalink/3050588268515804/?sale_post_id=3050588268515804

nope, it's the OG one by the look of it.