Sign in to follow this  
Nilsken

Long Damper mod for M05ra?

I was wondering, has anyway ever tried a long damper mod for an M05ra chassis?
I'm running a almost standard M05ra, but I'm not happy with the damping of the chassis. Already had the trf dampers with the softest springs installed but it keeps a little bouncy.
I would like to have the movement like my XV01 long damper spec, which dives nicely under braking, hangs on in a corner...

I'm running on smooth dirt and a little parking bashing... So no competition :-)

So any advice is welcome!

Hi, I had same thoughts on long dampers spec's modifications on M-Chassis... 

my M03, has carbon damper stay stiffeners, 55mm shocks, after fully extending them I noticed that the front dampers, that had 3 hole pistons, were much stiffer on hard springs then the rear on 4 V shaped hole pistons on medium hard springs, in general a blast to drive but it tends to lean on the side you last steered at. So rear sway bars will help ( I hope). Since this is a M03 with short ride height I orderd on recomendation of @Juls1 the M05RA upright set. with 55mm shocks I believe I will have the desired ride height on these uprights, but I would like to fit 60mm dampers if that is possible? these uprights should be in the mail today so I will have a try and share thoughts. I know the solution my be different to a M05RA.

best regards

another solution I could think of to gain ride height would be Touring Car rims, depending on the body you have, you could fit without a problem 24mm medium narrow Tamiya slicks on a Suzuki Swift 225mm wheelbase body set. Even with adjusting the body post height you could fit those 26mm rally block Tamiya tires on the Swift easily, that would be a few mm more and more stable overall. (all with 55mm TC dampers)

some pictures can be seen here of the Suzuki, later with the Fabia body I couldnt fit any TC wheels anymore. :(

IMG_0146.JPG

2e19069.jpg

Some of the problem is as you increase the shock length the bottom out point gets higher till your bottoming out before the chassis can touch the ground. The other thing that happens is as you add more droop on the RA uprights the dogbone starts to grab on the arm, restricting your ability to gain that droop and extra travel you want for an authentic rally experience. I found that either using the lower hole or ditching the RA uprights altogether then using a combination of 54296, much longer shocks and some careful grinding of the arms/uprights I could get the same or more ground clearance with more overall travel. If the idea is to go off-road with M-sized rally tires I reccomend a spool (locked diff) otherwise your just constantly bogged.

Hi,

thanks everybody for the info.

I'm not necessarily looking for higher ground clearance. The M05 RA has enough ground clearance for what I'm using is. Only the suspension remains too stiff with the options I'll already tried.
When I look at my XV01 long damper spec, i just notice it is way softer then my XV01. And there is a small difference in ground clearance, but nothing major.

So I was thinking to try a different damper stay (F+R) so I can mount longer shocks, without changing to much of the ground clearance. And really want an option for the front end, as the dampers are laying way to flat... Want to copy the setup of the XV01 LD, where the front dampers are almost vertical... Has anyone a idea where I can find damper stays like that?

XV01 long damper uses very soft springs from the front of buggies in the shocks at both ends, not touring car springs. If you're happy with the ground clearance it sounds to me like you need softer springs. I have no idea about M Chassis or Touring Car but maybe someone who does can help you out with some option springs to soften your car. Upright shocks are also more naturally stiff compared to laid over, so your chassis sounds like the shocks are in a good place, they just need softer springs and possibly oil. 

A set of damper stays might give you more options to stand the shocks up and soften things up a little 

like these 

http://www.rcmart.com/carbon-damper-stay-tamiya-p-81083.html?cPath=595_744_1389

If your not already using them you could try 56360 TRF springs short red soft. 

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-short-damper-spring-soft-2pcs-53630-p-4849.html?cPath=389_443

i assume your shocks have the longer 53575 shafts in them? 

On 1/31/2019 at 3:48 PM, Juls1 said:

A set of damper stays might give you more options to stand the shocks up and soften things up a little 

like these 

http://www.rcmart.com/carbon-damper-stay-tamiya-p-81083.html?cPath=595_744_1389

If your not already using them you could try 56360 TRF springs short red soft. 

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-short-damper-spring-soft-2pcs-53630-p-4849.html?cPath=389_443

i assume your shocks have the longer 53575 shafts in them? 

Thank! Already tried the setup you propose. It is better, bur not yet wat I really want. Now I"m looking at using the dampers of MST RMX2.0 drifter, they're so soft... Should work! Keep you posted :-)