Leckster

Tamiya 58667 Audi Quattro Rally

41 minutes ago, No Slack said:

If you look at this Carson body on Tamiyaclub I think it is not so bad after all:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=88901&id=22525

I haven't started my Carson Audi Quattro yet but I think I will keep it. The decals look very good and complete. Nice detail: the moulded windscreenwipers

True. I feel the Tamiya has crisper moulding quality, i.e. better-defined edges, but the Carson shell is a good offering. It was definitely better-received than the original Tamiya Audi Quattro shell by the touring-car crowd, for obvious reasons :P

Upon reflection, I am a bit disappointed that it was not the Mouton/Pons Quattro that came back, though Mikkola/Hertz did win the 1983 Drivers' Championship. Reproduction decals should make it easy to depict the former, anyway, so no complaints from me!

Here's a better look at the new Audi urquattro A2 rallye body, very nice!

• Like 1

The new Tamiya Quattro is the body I have been after since the original release. One of my favourite rally cars of all time, and my favourite version of the model. I’m really excited about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, qatmix said:

The new Tamiya Quattro is the body I have been after since the original release. One of my favourite rally cars of all time, and my favourite version of the model. I’m really excited about it.

It is a beautiful rally car. No doubt. Since Tamiya announced the release, I have been looking for some image of the 1:1 car and it strikes me that the tarmac tires/wheels combo on the 1:1 car could be similar to TT02 fitted with M-chassis 60 tires/wheels. The overall with of the TT02 fitted with M-chassis tires/wheels is 180mm. I guess the overall width of the body is approx. 185- 187mm. Shims might need to be fitted too increase chassis width to fit the body for better overall appearance. The body also need to be lowered though. Just a thought.

I am very close to decide on the Audi for my TT02. Will be running on indoor grey carpet.

qatmix, any ideas of gear ratios using 13.5 or 17.5 turn motor in TT02 chassis mounted with M-chassis tires?

Image courtesy from topspeed.com

Thanks.

audi-quattro-a1-grou-5.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm, it looks like once again Tamiya have made a wide-arch body that only barely fits over a conventional width chassis.  The point of wide arches is you can get a wider tyre on a deeper offset wheel.  (Look at how much tuck there is on the 1:1 photos with the narrow gravel wheels fitted).  Yet the body photos don't show much tuck at all despite using a fairly narrow touring wheel.

I wonder how good it will look fitted with deep-dish drift wheels..?  It might need two bodies, with the quarter panels cut off the second and stuck over the first to widen it out.

Offset looks about right to me, it's the diameter of the 1/10 wheels and arches which is too large, a common problem.

From what I gather, Japanese company, Ride, have discontinued their wide offset M-chassis wheels. I believe they are 4mm off set. Given the measurement above, I'd say they would fit perfectly IMO :-) 

2 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Offset looks about right to me, it's the diameter of the 1/10 wheels and arches which is too large, a common problem.

Valid point - ISTR 1:10 touring wheels are overscale because of human interpretation when scaling down - scale wheels tend to look too small when the entire package is scaled down.

The Quattro certainly doesn't look like the worst example, but Tamiya are good at making shells too narrow to get good wheels under.

Compare the Coppermix Silvia boxart's lovely fat wheels with those supplied in the kit (which appear to be the same as those on the Quattro show model pictured above)

tamiya_58373_002.jpg

fbfaaa63a40609bf2df43441d11696f3.jpg

Here's another photo of IN NV 62 in the 1983 Rallye de Portugal. On a tarmac stage, with yet another set of rims and tires!

Maybe some HPI MX60s? Is there another manufacturer that makes a similar 8 spoke MX60 style in 26mm width? Can't seem to find it, having a rim brain moment...

46182230995_f5a43a7410_b.jpg

• Like 1

@ThunderDragonCy - I've spotted those also, intrigued me, but only if I was to build out a rallye spec chassis.

After racing on the super clean Tamiya USA race track in the finals, I'm pretty much sticking with building out tarmac spec chassis, just so much fun. Dust and traction compound are really the only contaminates, other than the occasionally rare micro pebble —of course, that got jammed into my spur gear on a sealed TT02R gearbox — taking out my only 29T aluminum pinion gear! Keeps the bodies a little less scratched up too, unless you drive like me, Lol!

This is another rim/tire direction I was thinking that could work.

HPI Vintage 8 spoke, 6mm offset, 31mm wide. With either 31mm Tamiya wide race slicks or HPI slicks or lower profile treaded radials

47103703201_cbf5c6032b.jpg

• Like 3

Updating thread with latest factory photos from Tamiya USA.

Having owned two US spec Audi urquattro's (1983 and über rare 1984), I think it looks good. Of course there is room for improvement with a redesigned scale 1983 Rallye de Portugal door sticker(s), Bosch rallye light covers, different rims, tires, etc. I do love the period correct Talbot mirrors, nice touch. Also very nice to be able to purchase this soon here in the US. Now all we need is a Sense innovations ESS One sound module clip of an Audi 5 cylinder 2.2 litre with Pierburg fuel injection, flat out!

164ce3e05f223fb51e196dfa2ed84eb6.jpg

6af602aadb5a38ca3bf8c82594ced574.jpg

af6cfb951199e9010018d937f72bf0ff.jpg

0361a0c617f8085f7aa7ca74978aeb73.jpg

• Like 4

Those mirrors could be useful on a number of 1970s-period projects...

With a little bit of work, this could be a stunning car - and it looks like studioRS already knows what to do!

• Like 3

Hi all, been hanging around this site for a while and decided time to get involved.

I’m really excited about this one! Ive been wanting Tamiya to do this version for years! Not long to wait for release now hopefully......

I’ve decided to have a crack at making my own Fuchs wheels by using the rally legends Audi set as a starting point as the general shape is there. Have a set coming my way from the UK now. With a bit of luck, some styrene, foil tape and spray paint they should look something like the full size ones.....will post some pics when I get going on them. 

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to do with this release.....

Catch ya, Beetleman.

C803BF2A-535B-4F8A-919D-A2EC4ADCF09D.jpeg

• Like 2

The Tamiya quattro is already out on the market in some countries. I got the body parts set and wheels from a split kit two days ago. The good news is that it won't be hard to put light in the extra headlights, even if it's not intended from Tamiya's side. I can post some detail photos of the body, if interested.

Now I just wish Tamiya will follow up with some matching cars, although I'm afraid it won't happen. I mean, the Datsun 240Z EASR was released quite some years ago, and there's no matching contender for it out yet.

• Like 2

Hi Mokei, yes please to some pictures. I’d love them to do a group a Peugeot! Great news about the spotlights.

Cheers Kurt.

3 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Hi Mokei, yes please to some pictures. I’d love them to do a group a Peugeot! Great news about the spotlights.

Cheers Kurt.

Here you go. I have a decent camera, but I'm rubbish at taking photos and light conditions were bad, so the photos aren't great, but you get an idea.

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

62251131_10155994881932407_1061296971576 62117359_10155994881922407_3055006668526

62567603_10155994882027407_1867115772124

IMG_1201.JPG

62407150_10155994882042407_2697492693159

• Like 2

Cheers! That looks great!....ahhhhh...its  going to make the waiting even harder :D.....looks like the decals will be fun. Can’t be as bad as the Lancia Delta I’ve just done for my young fella. That took a fair bit of work with a hairdryer but looks great. I Appreciate  the pics.

Cheers

Kurt.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:12 PM, studioRS said:

Updating thread with latest factory photos from Tamiya USA.

Having owned two US spec Audi urquattro's (1983 and über rare 1984), I think it looks good. Of course there is room for improvement with a redesigned scale 1983 Rallye de Portugal door sticker(s), Bosch rallye light covers, different rims, tires, etc. I too love the period correct Talbot mirrors, nice touch. Also very nice to be able to purchase this soon here in the US. Now all we need is a Sense innovations ESS One sound module clip of an Audi 5 cylinder 2.2 litre with Pierburg fuel injection, flat out!

Reading that you mention the Pierburg injection, I'd like to add a sidenote:

From 2005 to 2008, I worked for Hitachi Automotive Europe. I was primarily involved in the daughter company's (Unisia Jecs) products, but on one occasion, the CEO told a story about the "old days".   I can't verify if it's true or not, but the CEO was a serious person and the story was backed up by the equally serious sales manager, so I reckon it's true; Hitachi delivered the fuel injection for the Sport quattro. I don't know exactly what components, but at least the injectors themselves. So, Hitachi Automotive Europe had a road version of the Sport quattro as a "company car" to collect mileage. A practice which was very common at Hitachi Automotive and we had test drivers driving vehicles around the clock.

The test drivers were mostly very young men without any specific qualifications, strictly instructed and monitored to drive the exact same 400km route in a triangle between Munich, Deggendorf, Regensburg and Ingolstadt with the same load profiles and speeds day after day, 8 hours a day in 3 shifts. They mostly went from healthy to worn and overweight within a couple of years, getting minimum wage. Not the best conditions for developing enthusiasm and loyalty, just like most test drivers jobs, even if it the job title "test driver" sounds like a dream job to many petrolheads.

Anyway, the CEO told us that the Sport quattro wasn't put in the hands of the young test drivers, simply because the extreme non linear throttle (turbo lag anyone?), plenty of power and short wheelbase made it very difficult to handle. Virtually with fear in his voice, the CEO described the Sport quattro as a "dangerous beast". Must have been a wonderful time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mmmmm.....these Protoform VTA 26mm 8 spokes would look pretty tasty on this car for tarmac. Pretty darn similar to the HPI examples previously posted in this thread but I guess all 8 spokes should look pretty much the same if the manufacturer is doing their job properly ;)....apparently these particular tyres screech on tarmac which would add to the fun factor. B)

It will be interesting to see what offset looks good on this model as I see this crowd also does a 31mm Tyre with a deeper dish rim. Bring it on I say!

regards

Kurt

89D94BDA-59AB-4510-9B41-EEC4A9A15F47.jpeg

Buy the HPI one.. the PF is a copy of it and rubber is crap.. 

• Thanks 1