Leckster

Tamiya 58667 Audi Quattro Rally

Awesome, thanks for the info. Can’t beat personal experience! Appreciate the heads up.

Regards

Kurt

I race VTA class and when HPI was acquired, the inventory of tyres dried up.. so PF stepped up and made a tyre... unfortunately the rubber is hard and requires voodoo to get it to work.. so the experience has been bitter sweet..

But now HPI is available again producing them

• Thanks 1

Cheers Raman36, good info. I very nearly purchased the Protoform ones and am glad I didn’t now. Especially when converted to NZ dollars and shipped all the way to NZ. Not a cheap excercise so good to know that the HPI ones are good quality and worth the money instead.  I’ll go in that direction once ive finished making some Fuchs wheels first! :D

Regards

Kurt

Yes! Ordered this kit from RCJaz website in Hong Kong today as I got an email saying it’s now available....now the wait begins.<_<;).........

I found the complete body set for these on Ebay earlier today and ordered one. I've been looking for these for so long and couldn't find anything. The Carisma bodies are out of stock everywhere, so I'm glad I found an actual Tamiya one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I started on turning the rally legends wheels into Fuchs today. Have cut out some styrene parts and have mocked them up a small per the photo to see what they will look like before I glue it all together. I think they should pass pretty well for a set of Fuchs when painted....got to find something to use as faux wheel nuts next ..still more work to do......

hopefully I’ll finish them before someone 3D prints a set and make it look all too easy :lol:....

Catch ya, Beetleman.

7B582CAC-3ACD-467D-8429-4E20C1863C46.jpeg

CBC66A81-963C-47DA-8C73-40DB0ADF9C03.jpeg

Edited by Beetlemankurt
Spelling
  • Like 7

Well, this thread hasn’t seen movement for some time so time for some pics :)....great morning today to get out and stir some dust up! Took a few piccies during the roadside service for this rally stage :)....my son was driving the Landcruiser and me, the Quattro. Great fun and very dusty at the moment as it’s been super dry.! 

Only have the Fuchs wheels on one side at the moment as I’ve been too distracted by my RC aircraft the last few months so haven’t quite got to the other side yet....all in good time so they say. Let’s see you running pics guys and get this thread moving again :)

Cheers Kurt

CD5B3E85-D06D-4C80-B5D0-C28754717321.jpeg

719A1280-C9BC-4624-B73D-7E498B93499E.jpeg

0BE06A69-679D-4979-9BA5-01B455C72733.jpeg

B85C0ED2-B939-4255-88B1-606947B61710.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

:P..that’s funny!....the dust ain’t so great when you have hay fever! There’s actually a rally cockpit kit in there but the drivers can’t see where the heck they are going! All good fun anyway :D....

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1

Didn‘t find a better a place... admins please move if necessary.

German label „Racers Paradise“ released a 1/10 Opel Ascona bodyset (officially licensed by Opel), fitting any common 1/10 rc chassis like TT-01 and TT-02.

And just like the new Tamiya Audi Quattro body, it comes with regular-sized wheel arches, it is not a remake of the 1980s Tamiya body. Qualitx is pretty good, they released some other Opel bodies during the last years (e.g. Opel Commodore and Opel Manta MK2).

So, it is possible to build a period-correct counterpart rally car alongside to the famous Audi Quattro. In 1982, Walter Röhrl was the last one who managed to win the World Cup Driver‘s championship using a rear-wheel-only-driven car, so the Ascona has it‘s place in Rallye history. (In 1983, Lancia was able to win the constructor‘s title with the Lancia 037, but the driver‘s title was won by 4-wheel-driven car, which has not changed until today).

Opel Ascona Bodyset

• Like 2

Hello all. I've been looking around for one of these.  Struggling a bit. I'm looking for a runner. Ideally it would be an accurate representation of the Safari Rally version. I won't have the time or space for a build. Is it a popular/successful model for Tamiya?

@Beetlemankurt has built an incredible example there. Is there a build thread for it? How are the wheels coming along?

I vaguely remember a thread that showed the painting/stickering process. I'll have to try and find it. 

Hi BigJag, mmmm not sure I’ve seen any runners come up for sale either but in all seriousness, it’s a pretty quick build as the TT02 is a pretty straightforward beasty. This is the second TT02 I’ve built and they get a fair bit of use, I’ve yet to have an issue with either of them. Good solid nice handling chassis. The body does take a bit of work as it’s quite a comprehensive sticker sheet but taking your time and the careful use of a hairdryer to mould them around the curves works a treat.

My Audi is starting to get a used/rally look now which I think adds to the realism :D....looks great and very iconic ploughing through the dirt with dust trailing behind.

Actually, come to think of it there is one thing I’ve added and that’s a home made dust cover made out of some clear polycarbonate from a building supply store (roofing section) combined with adding some scrap sponge material around the steering arms and servo linkages as the chassis does fill with stones and will Jam the steering. This little mod greatly reduced this happening.

Ive still got to finish the other two wheels as I’ve taken to doing a bit of tarmac stuff with it just for a change so the Audi’s been wearing these rims which are the leftovers from my Land Cruiser kit. I like the way that they fill out the arches and the stance they give the car too. Please ignore the headless driver and co driver...I spray painted the helmets which our cat then promptly decided to walk past and brush up against the then tacky paint leaving a nice trail of fur attached to them all...so a repaint is in now in order :lol:....

Good Luck with your search, if you can’t find a runner I’d say go for the build anyway if you can. It’s a great car.

all the best

Kurt

91E716FA-ABBD-4ABA-848F-CF2CFD017A3B.jpeg

8DFF28C3-14B1-4DC1-8BA2-8361AC83E95F.jpeg

48C5F981-CB95-40C9-8AA7-9C6FA888A5C9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, Raman36 said:

But now HPI is available again producing 

Did they end up doing this? Looking for a pair of 3mm offset and 6mm offset 8 spokes in silver for another project...

They have s

14 minutes ago, berman said:

Did they end up doing this? Looking for a pair of 3mm offset and 6mm offset 8 spokes in silver for another project...

This is from a US reseller: 

HPI rims should be in stock this month as they are in stock at HPI (Denmark), HRP the US distributor is dragging there feet a little on this one but I am pushing both sides to get them in. Protoform discontinued there rims a while back so they are getting hard to find, maybe Horizon the new owner will bring them back ??

• Like 1

Cheers Raman36, not really scale but they are close enough in appearance to the tarmac spec rims used back in the day to be reasonably convincing...especially when in action. Not sure what offset they are but they fill out the arches much better than the kit supplied versions.....looks a bit more aggressive I reckon and I like the white rims against the rest of the colour scheme.

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Wheels look great

1 hour ago, berman said:

I’d still be interested in the HPI wheels too. I was looking at the Protoforms not too long a after purchasing this car but was told that the tyres were not really that wonderful.....hopefully HPI will get their versions back in stock soon as per Raman36’s post.

The HPI tyres are much better. The protoform copies are of a harder compound. 

7 hours ago, Raman36 said:

They have s

This is from a US reseller: 

HPI rims should be in stock this month as they are in stock at HPI (Denmark), HRP the US distributor is dragging there feet a little on this one but I am pushing both sides to get them in. Protoform discontinued there rims a while back so they are getting hard to find, maybe Horizon the new owner will bring them back ??

Much appreciated. I certainly hope this comes to fruition. Circa $40usd for a pair on eBay at the moment.

5 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

I’d still be interested in the HPI wheels too. I was looking at the Protoforms not too long a after purchasing this car but was told that the tyres were not really that wonderful.....hopefully HPI will get their versions back in stock soon as per Raman36’s post.

Me too, also want some of the 4 spoke wheels they make and the vintage 5 spoke (torque thrust knock offs), and obviously tyres to fit them all. 😁

Great to see that you're getting such good use out of your car @Beetlemankurt. Seeing the pics really shows how great an example you've achieved there. Any chance you could show us the mods you mentioned? 

I've got way too much work to do on the rest of my fleet to take on another build. I may toy with the idea of getting a body set.  How well would the shell sit on a TA02 chassis?

Hey BigJag, no problem.

First one is pretty simple as it’s just some packing foam cut to shape and stuffed in between the strengthening ribs in the front of the chassis. Without it, this area used to get smalls stones piling up in the gaps until they got high enough to block the steering arms. Still happens from time to time if you get the right size stone in there but it’s greatly reduced now.

Second pic shows the cover which just has sticky back velcro to attach it. Works pretty well to keep the stones out (doesn’t stop any dust).

Cheers 

Kurt

170936CD-3633-49A6-982A-7D0AD73622DF.jpeg

C12A7840-24A5-4899-8457-E76F0E3888EF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I’m subscribed to this thread and hope to contribute. My kit ordered from Japan. Wish me luck. 

Anyone know what size tires are on this car and where I can some something more aggressive than still stock?  I want to make mine into a true rally car. Also interested in obtaining higher ground clearance if possible too

Hi, you can fit Tamiya Rally Block tyres directly to the kit rims. I did this and it provided I would say about another 5mm or so in height with no problems. These are cheap as chips and readily available.

Cheers

Kurt