Leckster

Tamiya 58667 Audi Quattro Rally

8 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Interesting. In that case it will be Lexan and not ABS. Should also fit the XV-01

I had guessed it would be ABS and on the TA02 S.

either way, nice addition. 

My wish would be for the Quattro Sport S1 .. always loved the shorter wheel base 

TT-02 has been confirmed, but don't know yet if it's 251 or 257mm. The original has a 2554mm wheelbase, so 251mm would be most correct, but I reckon it doesn't matter that much.

As for Sport S1, I reckon you know that RC Eazy / Rally Legends have a rather good S1? I have it and overall impression and quality is comparable to Killerbody. Wheelbase is 257mm'ish though. Original vehicle's wheelbase is only 2225mm, so though the Rally Legends body looks OK on its own, I guess it will look wrong next to the new Tamiya body.

If it's just another body on a random old chassis I'l give that a miss🤔.....the turbo Optima looks interesting though!

• Like 2

Looks great. An odd wheel choice though. So many good rally wheels available.

56 minutes ago, acprc said:

...An odd wheel choice though.

Yeah, on most of the pics I found, the Quattro is fitted with white wheels - even the original had a decent representation.
The display model is a prototype though - mebbe the wheels weren't ready in time

image.png

• Like 1

I agree. That looks great! It will have to go on my wishlist. I wonder when we will see the body set available for sale in the UK?

This could be the bodyset I have been waiting for to go on my TB-05Pro...or more likely my old TB-01.

4 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

TT-02 has been confirmed, but don't know yet if it's 251 or 257mm. The original has a 2554mm wheelbase, so 251mm would be most correct, but I reckon it doesn't matter that much.

As for Sport S1, I reckon you know that RC Eazy / Rally Legends have a rather good S1? I have it and overall impression and quality is comparable to Killerbody. Wheelbase is 257mm'ish though. Original vehicle's wheelbase is only 2225mm, so though the Rally Legends body looks OK on its own, I guess it will look wrong next to the new Tamiya body.

As per 1:1 wheelbase, I'd say 257mm is closer than 251mm :-) Anyway, I sincerely hope Tamiya stretched the shell it to fit 257mm, so I can fit it to my TA06 chassis.

14 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

As per 1:1 wheelbase, I'd say 257mm is closer than 251mm :-) Anyway, I sincerely hope Tamiya stretched the shell it to fit 257mm, so I can fit it to my TA06 chassis.

You're right, but I did a typo in that post. Ur-quattro wheelbase is 2524mm and not 2554mm like I typed. So the data I provided were wrong, but the logic correct :blink:, if I may say so! I apologise for the typo though!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

You're right, but I did a typo in that post. Ur-quattro wheelbase is 2524mm and not 2554mm like I typed. So the data I provided were wrong, but the logic correct :blink:, if I may say so! I apologise for the typo though!

That's ok ;-) In that context, you're correct with 1:1 wheelbase of 2524mm. I still hope Tamiya stretched the body to fit 257mm chassis :-)

That is a sharp-looking moulding. Having the entire body moulded in one piece instead of as in the original just makes sense.

It also looks like there is plenty of space to cut the arches to accommodate oversized tires and a 215 mm wheelbase, so everybody can be happy :P

By that same token, it looks easy to cut out the shell for either 257 mm or 251 mm without either combination looking odd, so I would imagine the wheelbase choice for the TT-02 is irrelevant.

This does feel a lot less like a re-release, and more like a brand-new car. For the sake of a proper-looking car, though, I figure it had to be done; it would be more difficult to reuse polycarbonate shell mould tooling than the same stuff for an ABS type. I say this because the Lancia 037 Rally had traces of the tooling's past as the original Lancia Rally's when looking from the interior of the shell, right down to the spot to glue in an original-style driver figure.

Either way, there is no denying this is a good-looking Audi Quattro, and I can see why there is lots of demand for a body-only set. I look forward to seeing the types of chassis where the shell ends up!

I will wait for the official catalogue-style pictures to appear in the meantime :D

• Like 1

I agree wheel choice is a bid odd.. but I can’t honestly recall the last time Tamiya released a new set of scale wheels. They seem to reuse the old ones over and over 

Stupid question...but why not a cockpit set? Does Tamiya not do those anymore? 

On 1/29/2019 at 12:04 PM, martinjpayne said:

C'mon Tamiya, put it on a DF-03Ra chassis :lol:

The DF-03Ra has been superseded by the XV-01, in case you weren't aware.

21 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Does anyone know how long after the Nuremberg show the new releases get released for sale?

This states "Prototype" so a good few months, maybe see it early to mid summer I would guess.

8 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Yeah, on most of the pics I found, the Quattro is fitted with white wheels - even the original had a decent representation.
The display model is a prototype though - mebbe the wheels weren't ready in time

image.png

The wheels on it are silver plated versions of the Castrol Celica wheels. These were a very limited show special item years and years ago so not the kind of thing they'd have a load of just laying around. I'd guess they'll reproduce them again and these are the final wheels.

1 hour ago, Theibault said:

Can't wait to see what TruckNorris does with it. ;)

I think he'll probably buy one but he'll be so busy with other stuff it'll be years before it gets done!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Finally a proper set of rally lights... not like the terrible ones on the Beetle... I really like this car, hope i can snag one :)

Ugh. Another uninspiring slab-sided Lexan nightmare slapped onto whatever chassis was lying around. Ah well, it's also another thing I don't have to wish I could spend money on.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Ugh. Another uninspiring slab-sided Lexan nightmare slapped onto whatever chassis was lying around. Ah well, it's also another thing I don't have to wish I could spend money on.

LOL 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I think you should say how you really feel, you're holding back :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

Certainly some are more excited (or not) than others =)

Today's Nuremberg fair photo with plate "IN NM 62" and Nr. 3 on the door, would indicate 1983 Rallye de Portugal winning Audi urquattro. Unfortunately, the Tamiya lexan body looks to be the early non-rallye spec chassis with standard width urquattro flares — not the first time Tamiya "missed". Reviewing photos below, the 1983 urquattro was an A1 (slightly wider bulged flares, rear scoop just in front of wheel well with black grille). The Audi Sport team cars were determined by plate numbers, stayed with each chassis in the rallye season. The A2 version entered just after this rallye.

Depending upon which stage was run in 1983 Rallye, tire/rim selection differed. However, the most period correct rims for this are Fuchs forged alloys, 15x7.

Several examples of the depicted chassis Nr. "IN NM 62" running Fuchs in the 1983 Rallye de Portugal driven by Hannu Mikkola.

First photo below from my 1983 Audi Sport calendar photographs I took. Lower left corner A1 urquattro, "IN NM 62". (full calendar just in case you are interested  https://www.flickr.com/photos/studiors/albums/72157661480058724/with/24456237441/ ).

24170787069_b086dedce1_b.jpg

Additional from 1983 Rallye...

39966909693_90e4e1b979_b.jpg

39966909113_2859d3f66b_z.jpg

... and Tarmac setup with different BBS style aero vented rims, as the brakes on these urquattro's were woefully inadequate (think Porsche style for help w/cooling). 

39966909263_910de5daac_z.jpg

Factory Audi media press foto showing Lombard rallye livery on an early style chassis (can't see the plate Nr.?), with later style bolted on wheel spats (eyebrows, flares), and mostly to illustrate the strongest rims made for these, Fuchs forged alloys.
31990280207_d17b92c998_b.jpg

And last but not least, the factory Audi Sport poster over on my collection website, enjoy! https://members.rennlist.com/rennwagen/asposters.html

This new Tamiya Audi urquattro rallye spec body will be in my collection for sure!

as_rallyeportugal83.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2