Sign in to follow this  
Scipunk

Looking at getting my first airbrush

Ok folks i am ready to buy a airbrush but i have 0 idea of what to get. I don't wanna drop a ton of money but i don't want junk.  I am thinking around $150 ish 

Single or Double?

Brand? 

Features i should look for?

I have a small compressor (not a airbrush one but a 2.5g i think) but if anyone can recommend one more suited i can add it for later :)

Is the Tamiya one available and is it pricey?

I know it's a lot of personal preference but I find i make better decisions when i have multiple points of info :)

Thanks!

7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I really like what this person has to say about airbrushes.  He's done quite a bit of testing and has many good tips about everything related to airbrushes.

Don's Airbrush Tips

Thanks speedy, ill have a look at that site. So much to learn lol

4 hours ago, Bromley said:

I have an Expo AB602 airbrush and compressor set. It's served me well for a about 7 years now.

This is the one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Airbrush-Compressor-Deal-AB602-Dual-Action-Expo-Tools/2256010549

Thanks, i'll look into it, 7 years is a good track record

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - I want to buy my first airbrush.. the thread points to an airbrush still available from eBay via a reputable model seller... Do people rate this still? I don't own an airbrush or compressor so just want to check if anyone has any other recommendations? I don't want to spend more than this. Just want one for RC cars and static models. 

I'm also thinking about an air brush set up and have no idea.

The must have for the compressor though seems to be a separate air tank so make sure you get one with a tank...that's as far as my knowledge goes at the minute lol

@Steelyglint

@GrandOlDaz

If noise is not an issue, a 6L industrial compressor will be the most economical. However they are LOUD! 97db loud. My decade old one only suffered a broken belt and when I bought it back then, it only cost me £50.

spacer.png

If not, then some airbrush compressor with a small 2 or 3L tank. However, really, if only for painting RC shells without fine details, you can get away with one without a tank. The tank is for smoothing out the airflow which can seriously affect fine (think pencil line thin) work. It too helps to remove moisture from the air. Also, if you use a moisture trap, you can get away without a tank as it helps to smooth out the airflow somewhat. I use both as I use my airbrush a lot, in very cold damp air (very bad). 

spacer.png

As for the airbrush itself, since you are a first timer, I will suggest a cheap ebay/Amazon one to try out. YOU WILL REGRET DROPPING A GOOD EXPENSIVE AIRBRUSH! A cheap one let you get to grips with the working.

Again if for RC bodies only in solid colors, like a replacement for using spray paint, get a 0.5mm nozzle. Also, that will be recommended for using "real/true" waterbase acrylic like Vallejo. You will soon discover the annoyance of dry tip and smaller nozzles, which possible to be used, makes the problem far worse. (I had never airbrushed PS/PC paint, so cannot comment on them) 

Once you are ready to move on, I will recommend something in the £70 - £100 range, like a Badger. Really, you will not need something like an Iwata for RC, fine work or not. 

First step with airbrushing is NOT a case for "getting it right the first time", expensive airbrush are far less forgiving due to their extreme precision. Think nozzles of 0.18, 0.2, 0.23, 0.25, 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5mm. The smaller the nozzle, the shape of the "point" on the needle matters. 

Finally, there are different types of airbrushes. Top, bottom and side feed. Single and double action. I will recommend getting a top feed double action one. That type reduce the frustration of "no spray" as paint feed is helped by gravity so if it stops, it must be due to a blocked tip or paint channel. Double action so that you can control paint flow on the fly, meaning you waste less paint with test spray. Also, as the tip drys up, you can open it wider instead of adjustments or strip and clean (you will eventually need to do that anyway). There is also a triple action type which allows airflow adjustments on the airbrush body itself rather than at the regulator, but that is really for really fine work. 

Here are some of my airbrushes and their use. 

spacer.png

Top to bottom, left to right

Old GSI 0.5mm top fed double action used for waterbased acrylic like Vallejo. 

Badger Omni 4000 0.5mm top fed double action used for general large area spray, usually primer, replacement for the above. I recommend this one after you had tried and decided that airbrush is for you as it is rather tough and large easy to handle nozzle. Easy to clean too with its large feed channel. 

Sparmax Max-4 0.4mm top fed double action for general more controlled work. 

GSI 0.2mm top fed "triple" action used for very fine work. The knob below the paint cup allows easy on the fly adjustment of the airflow. 

Badger 350 bottom fed single action (bottle not shown in the picture) one of my starter airbrush. NOT recommended as it gives no control at all OOB. In the bag is the heavy "duty" nozzle, which means to change the flow, you need take the thing apart to change the nozzle to something else. 

I cannot find my GSI 0.4mm top fed single action so here is a picture off the Web. To adjust this, you turn the knob to the rear (right) to adjust the needle. I used to use this for primer but had since moved onto a double action one for faster control. 

spacer.png

The ebay one is acceptable as a starter airbrush although you may want to upgrade as you gain experience. Also be aware that I heard many of these non industrial compressors do not have as long a lifespan, so really depends on your usage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Airbrush-Compressor-Deal-AB602-Dual-Action-Expo-Tools/2256010549

These are fine for beginners. The brush itself is a cheap asian knock-off but can be improved with some simple mods. It will teach you what you need to know about using an airbrush, cleaning an airbrush, and thinning paint so that it will spray predictably. It's double action so that you can adjust the size of the spray dynamically, and it's gravity fed so as above, it's easier to troubleshoot. 

The compressor has a small tank. As well as driving the airbrush It will just about drive an hvlp gun for few seconds, enough to apply a coat of liquid mask or flat colour to a body. 

SMC sell them: https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/expo-complete-airbrush-deal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alvin, WOW, thank you so much for a very informative post, brilliant info, laid out with explanation, just what us newbs need...thank you so much mate

8 hours ago, Howards said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Airbrush-Compressor-Deal-AB602-Dual-Action-Expo-Tools/2256010549

These are fine for beginners. The brush itself is a cheap asian knock-off but can be improved with some simple mods. It will teach you what you need to know about using an airbrush, cleaning an airbrush, and thinning paint so that it will spray predictably. It's double action so that you can adjust the size of the spray dynamically, and it's gravity fed so as above, it's easier to troubleshoot. 

The compressor has a small tank. As well as driving the airbrush It will just about drive an hvlp gun for few seconds, enough to apply a coat of liquid mask or flat colour to a body. 

SMC sell them: https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/expo-complete-airbrush-deal

Awesome, thanks for the info and sugestions with link, brilliant stuff guys thanks

@Scipunk

Another point of info one might consider is the location you will be running your airbrush.  I found that is it somewhat similar to buying speakers for your audio room, the room and air make a HUGE difference in the results.  Can't just buy good speakers thinking it will sound good in any room.. because it won't.

So in my case I chose a low dust location in my house with consistent temperature to paint (65F and higher, 50% or lower RH all year long) and air filtering to suction out all the fumes and paint dust out of the painting space.  I mostly only use rattle cans (TS/PS paints) but I have a portable airbrush sold by Tamiya to use from time to time when I want to spray mixed colors.  It is compatible with the higher end airbrush nozzles, but for me, rattle can level does plenty so I've not looked into it any further.. 

GL with whatever you decide.

• Thanks 1