Mokei Kagaku

58669 M-08 Chassis Kit confirmed

The manual is out:

https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300058669/300058669_Anleitung-Instruction_M-08_Concept.pdf

Nice to see that they have made it compatible with M-chassis dampers from the outset, rather than needing alternative shock towers as in the case of the M-07.

Not sure what the idea is with the lower outer front hinge pins though - the inserts don't seem to leave much material on the C-hub, so this looks to be a potential point of failure. Not even sure alloy ones would have enough material to be bulletproof.

Part K3 looks to be a candidate for alloy replacement. As hinted in the photos from the launch and now confirmed by the manual, there isn't much material connecting the rear end to the rest of the car, and an alloy piece here could add some useful strength I reckon.

What do y'all think?

• Like 2

I´m happily waiting now. Placed my preorder at Tamico. They state the delivery date for 20th of June. 16 days to go, hopefully. Will arrive during my vaccation.:) Still no News from RC mart, or at least I can´t find them. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:49 AM, TurnipJF said:

The manual is out:

https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300058669/300058669_Anleitung-Instruction_M-08_Concept.pdf

Nice to see that they have made it compatible with M-chassis dampers from the outset, rather than needing alternative shock towers as in the case of the M-07.

Not sure what the idea is with the lower outer front hinge pins though - the inserts don't seem to leave much material on the C-hub, so this looks to be a potential point of failure. Not even sure alloy ones would have enough material to be bulletproof.

Part K3 looks to be a candidate for alloy replacement. As hinted in the photos from the launch and now confirmed by the manual, there isn't much material connecting the rear end to the rest of the car, and an alloy piece here could add some useful strength I reckon.

What do y'all think?

One thought I had today while studying the Manual: The section, where the 2 Chassis halves are screwed together: The screw on pillars and the braces take a lot of room, that could be useful for better electronic Installation. So Maybe this gets the Treatment like M05, where many Racers did not attach the rear Stiffening braces and just left them out, and / or replaced it with some Carbon plates around the servo. (3 racing, etc.) I think with the carbon reinforced plastics the chassis could be stiff enough still to work without the pillars on lower grip tracks...

Hope you get my thought, it came just to me while studying the manual more intense. Good thing is, stabilizer kit from M07 fits, knuckles fit, just the weird C-hub design, of which I have the same thoughts and already ordered 2 spare sets with the kit for my first runs. And raising the steering links another 5mm above the already very high M07 mounting points is a bad design in my eyes, as more and more bending moments get in the knuckle. Still no Tamiya Aluminum front knuckle for M07, which could also be made to fit hte M08. We will see, otherwise I think the car will be not bad at all, to my feeling...

• Like 1

The wierd C- hub design seems to be a means of giving castor while having the mouldings the same left to right. I wonder if an angled front lower arm mount couldn't achieve the same thing? Then one could use the stronger M-07 C-hubs.

Still no sign in Stella or RCMart. RCJazz has it but shipping is really high 

On 6/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, TurnipJF said:

I wonder if an angled front lower arm mount couldn't achieve the same thing? Then one could use the stronger M-07 C-hubs.

I have same feeling. It's weird that they use lower arm mount for caster setting in M07, because that introduces pro-dive in FWD, but in RWD, it shouldn't be issue...

• Like 1

Release Date is June 20. RCMart has pre-order but can’t ship until 20th

Getting a bit interested in this. I like the idea of rwd more than fwd even if it is harder to drive. Local club has a mini class using the Team Powers Iconic 27t stock motor. Feels like it might be slow enough for me! Am i going to have no chance against M07s? 

Also, on the caster, i noticed you can get centre caster blocks. Some kickup to prevent weight transfer when braking could be good on rwd? Maybe a 4 deg block and then stronger straight M07 uprights might be good? 

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Am i going to have no chance against M07s? 

A couple of videos I've seen of them back to back makes it seem like the M08 is quicker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blista said:

A couple of videos I've seen of them back to back makes it seem like the M08 is quicker.

Sweet! Better start saving. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

This is not helping the want for this chassis, or my desire to build a 1/10th scale rwd touring car out of the TA06 kit i have on the way

https://www.thercracer.com/2019/06/58669-tamiya-m08-build-tips-review.html?m=0

Nice writeup, but not giving all the Infos a real M-enthusiast will notice during building it! ;)

Just started mine today, first you all should now: You need a 2,5mm drill bit as stated in the manual. Especially for the rear chassis section, where the gear box attaches. It´s quite an important connection, so I guess Tamiya wants you to drill through and screw afterwards with the best connection you can get. Maybe molded holes would be not as tight here. Whatt I also liked: The diff already comes with the better, red O-rings, And the CVA dampers even come with the bladders of the TRF dampers! Tamiya really put some love in this kit. Just started the rear end, but also no need to rim the wishbones, no binding on mine here...

Have fun anyone, who builds it the next days!:rolleyes:

Matthias

• Like 4

It´s even better than I already told. The Piston rods are old TRF style, too. You can spot it between the grooves for the C-clips of the piston rods. There is a rough area to eliminate bypass through the piston hole section and get a tighter fit. I shimmed the pistons with 0,3mm shims, so they are without axial play now. Together with the clear O-rings they are probably the most sophisticated C.V.A. ´s from Tamiya in a std. kit. The springs seem to be from the M04 front, if I remeber correctly. They are the very week gold ones, and give a subtle suspension feel. Tamiya is really on the weak side (springwise) here, but with a hard damper setup. Very promising, if the kit setup is just half as good as the M07 setup. I´ve many fellow racers, which run their M07 kit std., as it is so nice to drive…

Just need to choose a body for it to my likings. Maybe it´s finally time for the Porsche 914/6...:rolleyes: Mid engine correct...

Br,

Matthias

• Like 2

Or Renault R5 if you can get your hands on one haha..  

It is now time for Tamiya to release an Alfa Romeo 4C body :D

• Like 1

M05ra with Renault R5 is being rereleased. I just want the body.. M08 mid motor with R5 will be very cool 

• Like 5