Mokei Kagaku

58669 M-08 Chassis Kit confirmed

Recommended Posts

I'm reading it as the motor mounted in front of the rear axle. Should help fit more bodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It actually does! The other m chassis always looked like a collection of cobbled together bits to me whereas that looks like a proper chassis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the stabilizer bars on the rear body posts, should help keep hatchbacks from getting all wobbly.

Oh, almost forgot about the R5 Turbo 2, Alpine 110 and countless others which were on the "wrong chassis". 

My mind just went to a twin motor M with M07 front and M08 rear gearboxes... then I stopped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

I like the stabilizer bars on the rear body posts, should help keep hatchbacks from getting all wobbly.

Oh, almost forgot about the R5 Turbo 2, Alpine 110 and countless others which were on the "wrong chassis". 

My mind just went to a twin motor M with M07 front and M08 rear gearboxes... then I stopped.

Don’t send me down that rabbit hole again....

C7F23059-AFA6-46A6-B620-79BD4EC55890.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see that in a none M sized chassis. Proper touring car sized so I could have a real mid powered RWD Ferrari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as overt an exoskeleton as I was anticipating, but it still looks like part of the family as it were. I wonder how many hop-ups it will be able to share with the M-07?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I'd love to see that in a none M sized chassis. Proper touring car sized so I could have a real mid powered RWD Ferrari.

Couldn't someone enterprising design a longer spacer to get 257mm wheelbase for 3D printing. There was that fantastic M04RR XL conversion in the builds a whole ago that used tl01 suspension and a 3d printed bracket to make a rear motor RWD touring car. This is the Shapeways part

http://shpws.me/EQxJ

Are any of the modern ta07 Arms compatible with the m07/8?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Not as overt an exoskeleton as I was anticipating, but it still looks like part of the family as it were. I wonder how many hop-ups it will be able to share with the M-07?

It’s definitely more of a tub chassis where as the M07 / TA07 do not have the raised tub edges, instead have stiffeners on the outer edge of chassis. On this, the chassis stiffener runs down the centre is chassis

All of the suspensions hops ups of M07 work.. eg up rights, suspension mounts that set rear toe etc

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

tamiya-58669-m-08-concept-chassis-kit

Very nice looking. Cannot be too hard to get a Lancia 037 on there  if you can get the tread right.

Always wanted the Alpine too and this chassis is perfect for it. 

I think I’ll have to get one of these.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Couldn't someone enterprising design a longer spacer to get 257mm wheelbase for 3D printing. There was that fantastic M04RR XL conversion in the builds a whole ago that used tl01 suspension and a 3d printed bracket to make a rear motor RWD touring car. This is the Shapeways part

http://shpws.me/EQxJ

Are any of the modern ta07 Arms compatible with the m07/8?

 

Gotta finish my TB01build before I can look into new projects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Gearbox have something like "4 gear" layout to increase traction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Honza said:

Looks like Gearbox have something like "4 gear" layout to increase traction.

Interesting? How does the gearbox layout affect traction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raman36 said:

All of the suspensions hops ups of M07 work.. eg up rights, suspension mounts that set rear toe etc

Indeed, as the cars seem to use the same suspension arms, uprights, etc.

I am wondering about other things like shock towers, steering rack, gearbox internals and so forth.

Also, do you reckon that it follows the M-07 in using longer touring car shocks, or the rest of the M-chassis range in using shorter ones? If the former, I hope that the low profile shock towers from the M-07 will fit it, or that low profile shock towers will be available soon, as I don't see any reason to use longer shocks when shorter ones will work just as well while providing a lower centre of gravity along with compatibility with my existing set of M-chassis springs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Interesting? How does the gearbox layout affect traction?

On RWD mid motor cars a 2 or 4 gear layout spins the motor the same way as the driven axle so the torque reaction squats the rear of the car 'pressing' the rear wheels into the floor. A 3 gear spins the motor the opposite way so the torque reaction acts in the opposite direction, tending to load the fronts. A track grip levels have increased in buggy racing this is why the 3 gear mid (so called 'Laydown' and 'Layback' drivetrains) have gained prevalence, as you're rarely traction limited at the rear on a buggy due to the size of the rear tyres and the grip available on astro or carpet, but understeer is an issue, so the motor driving torque forwards loading the fronts on throttle is beneficial.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

On RWD mid motor cars a 2 or 4 gear layout spins the motor the same way as the driven axle so the torque reaction squats the rear of the car 'pressing' the rear wheels into the floor. A 3 gear spins the motor the opposite way so the torque reaction acts in the opposite direction, tending to load the fronts. A track grip levels have increased in buggy racing this is why the 3 gear mid (so called 'Laydown' and 'Layback' drivetrains) have gained prevalence, as you're rarely traction limited at the rear on a buggy due to the size of the rear tyres and the grip available on astro or carpet, but understeer is an issue, so the motor driving torque forwards loading the fronts on throttle is beneficial.

Ah, that makes sense. With my M-chassis cars I am usually trying to shift the grip bias towards the rear so this should be a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Ah, that makes sense. With my M-chassis cars I am usually trying to shift the grip bias towards the rear so this should be a good thing.

All good then. Has the added bonus of being easier to handle than 3 gear in my experience. The on throttle offloading of the rear wheels on a 3 gear makes them quick spiky to handle on corner exit in lower grip conditions, whereas 2 and 4 gears or rear motor 3 gears (which have the same effect because the motor is behind the axle) just plant their rear tyres and go on the throttle. As I said to a friend about wrestling with my 3 gear laydown over the summer "it's a *******, but it's a fast *******!" 

Looks like a super compact transmission but still uses the TA06 diff (as do the later 2wd TRF buggies) so could be some scope for adapting it to buggy use too. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys I've just been looking into the M chassis kits. is there a place in the UK they regularly race them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unit 21 in Sleaford has a regular Mini class, but they are on a temporary hiatus due to having lost their venue. Hopefully they will reopen soon at a new venue and racing can continue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Terz1 said:

Hi guys I've just been looking into the M chassis kits. is there a place in the UK they regularly race them?

 

Pretty much every indoor club seems to run an m chassis class as far as I can tell. Where are you based? Or post up in the Racing Talk forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

All good then. Has the added bonus of being easier to handle than 3 gear in my experience. The on throttle offloading of the rear wheels on a 3 gear makes them quick spiky to handle on corner exit in lower grip conditions, whereas 2 and 4 gears or rear motor 3 gears (which have the same effect because the motor is behind the axle) just plant their rear tyres and go on the throttle. As I said to a friend about wrestling with my 3 gear laydown over the summer "it's a *******, but it's a fast *******!" 

Looks like a super compact transmission but still uses the TA06 diff (as do the later 2wd TRF buggies) so could be some scope for adapting it to buggy use too. 

Thanks for that, good to know (and so well explained). I will have a chat to some of the other RB6.6 drivers tomorrow (weather permitting) so see if they have tried the 4 gear transmission. I never have but its is probably worth it based on your explanation. Umm, in the M08 that I will be sure to get later when its around, or something, rather than highjack the thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preorder is up at tower. $198.49.. $1.50 away from $30 coupon lol. I added a $2.99 tube of grease to get there haha. $170 is not bad with the stupid MAP they implemented.

Stella and RCMart with shipping may still come in lower.. will hold off for on pressing buy for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wheelbase adjustment slider thing looks a bit odd from below in anything other than 210mm IMO.

31af55d8_0e69_4968_bf74_3245b2017a12_15e

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There doesn't seem to be much material keeping the rear end attached to the rest of the car:

80f17e12_56d6_499f_b8d0_f0abbe4e090a_610

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now