khyzersoze

Kyosho Turbo Optima Re-Release!

On 5/30/2020 at 4:15 AM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Don't have a turbo optima but can you use otw126 51/48 spur with the re re turbo optima?

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/OTW126-MCN-Spur-Gear-51T48P-for-BLS-Motor_p_24991.html

Interested to know if you ever got this installed... I'm desperate to get some more speed out of my re-re Turbo Optima & these are not so easy (or cheap) to get, so I'd love to see it in action.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, kyoshofan223 said:

Interested to know if you ever got this installed... I'm desperate to get some more speed out of my re-re Turbo Optima & these are not so easy (or cheap) to get, so I'd love to see it in action.

It's working perfectly... And will give you more options for the motor pinion...

That being said, the one you find on ebay at the moment are quite expensive (3 times their normal price): there is clearly some speculation out there. I got mine thru my LHS. It was backordered for a few months... I went over the week-end to pick them a few days after I got the message it was there. The guy told me he tried to order one for another customer the day before and it was backordered already (I believe he was getting his inventory from Kyosho Europe). They are re-stocked time to times, but there is high demand on those...

Was there a really noticeable boost in top speed after making the switch? I'm wondering if there's any fiddling that can be done with the timing of the motor or adjustments to the ESC...though I can't imagine either comes from the factory with a deficit in that department. The price gouging & difficulty getting parts is definitely frustrating. The re-release was supposed to eliminate that! Ironic that even the re-releases are now overpriced & scarce. Anyway, I'm just worried about spending > $100 for 2 fewer turns on the motor & $50 on a spur gear without some more confidence that it'll have the effect I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, kyoshofan223 said:

Was there a really noticeable boost in top speed after making the switch? I'm wondering if there's any fiddling that can be done with the timing of the motor or adjustments to the ESC...though I can't imagine either comes from the factory with a deficit in that department. The price gouging & difficulty getting parts is definitely frustrating. The re-release was supposed to eliminate that! Ironic that even the re-releases are now overpriced & scarce. Anyway, I'm just worried about spending > $100 for 2 fewer turns on the motor & $50 on a spur gear without some more confidence that it'll have the effect I'm looking for.

Well. I decide to order the blue spur gear while I got the Javelin freshly build with the standard ratio (black spur gear and 25T pinion) and a 13.5T. Basically, it was slower than the Turbo Scorpion with the same motor and ESC, and worse, it was running like a Super Wheelie, getting the front in the air each time I triggered the throttle. Not the efficiency I was expecting from that chassis. Today, both the Javelin (13.5T)  and Turbo Optima (10.5T) are running with a blue spur gear.  I started with the recommended motors ratios I found on internet. I believe they are overly conservative. Here are my details setup for both cars, which are not yet optimised (as I said, the recommendations seems overly conservative). Additional comment : I run with Lipo stick format (134 mm llong) 2S 4000mAH/50C (I have Tamiya that are not so lipo pack compliant due to the size of the battery case, so I sticked with those)

Turbo Optima

• ESC : SkyRC Toro TS120A no fan, mounted under the the top deck.
  • Motor : Performa Racing (sensored) stock 10.5T
  • Sensor cable : 200 mm
  • Mounted with OTW-1126 blue spur gear and 25T pinion to fit with the motor recommended gearing, but I can probably add a few teeth to the motor pinion as per my temp checks during runs.

Javelin

• ESC : Performa Racing P1 no fan, mounted under the the top deck. (This ESC is the same as the Kyosho Le Mans brushless ESC, with a different color, and cheaper. Plus the programmation card exist for it)
  • Motor : Performa Racing (sensored) stock 13.5T
  • Sensor cable : 200 mm
  • Mounted with OTW-1126 blue spur gear and 28T pinion to fit with the motor recommended gearing, but I can probably add a few teeth to the motor pinion as per my temp checks during runs

Speed bump compared to the black spur gear on the Javelin is clear, and it became easier to control, as front wheel are very much on the ground, now... (I did not run the Turbo Optima with the black spur gear, but it is faster than the Javelin, as the motor is quicker).