khyzersoze

Kyosho Turbo Optima Re-Release!

Yes I enjoyed your pics. I bought some OTT243S Pin Tyre too (is that what you have on yours?) and some spare black rims (silver not available). So I will probably put the pin tyres on the white wheels like yours, and the new style tyres on my black rims for when I take it for a run. I intend to run it maybe once at a local indoor carpet track. 

• Like 1

To be honest I mounted tires from Schumacher CAT xls on turbo optima rims. Unfortunately ott243s do not fit on turbo optima but only on optima or javelin rims.

**** these tyres are confusing so I an use 50mm or 2” tyres on the TO wheels? I love throwing my money away lol now I have useless to me 43mm optima tyres

Yeah thats them, if you had the square scorpion ones i would have taken them off you - I made a similar mistake in buying alloy wheels for my turbo scorpion. There are a ridiculous number of wheel and tyre sizes which are so marginally different to be pointless but just enough so that none are cross compatible - especially when you mix in tamiyas buggy wheels and tires too.

20 hours ago, CoolHands said:

I have received mine + parts. I have decided to spend a fortune and buy the Kyosho brushless motor and ESC! I can’t imagine who would normally buy a kyosho ESC but this is one sexy model so I thought I’d go the whole hog. I have a lovely red alloy steering servo on the way too, so should look nice.

AEEE92DF-9773-422B-B423-0F272CEFBB37.jpeg

445540A0-E981-497F-A638-F5D78222FF29.jpeg

I'm with you on that combo set even in its box you just know its going to be a gorgeous piece of kit! Can I ask did you get it in the UK as I've only seen them advertised from Japan? And you know the rules! We have to see the finished buggy!

• Like 2

I bought the motor and esc from banzaihobby. Parcelforce did me for customs though, so another 18 quid was lumped on top!

What style lipos fit? Ie shorty (like used for racing) or regular size?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CoolHands said:

I bought the motor and esc from banzaihobby. Parcelforce did me for customs though, so another 18 quid was lumped on top!

Yeah it's her majesty's customs the fingers need pointing at! parcelforce just collect it on there behalf and trust me if they didn't you'd be waiting a lot longer for it (they do charge handling fee though) because parcelforce in return actually pay the customs charge before you pay them? And its going to make things very interesting after 31 January or when the government/customs decide to start ripping us off sorry charging us:unsure:

14 hours ago, CoolHands said:

..you can use shorty as well as regular size lipos. That's really cool about the Optima/Turbo-O buggy. Unfortunately kyosho didn't incorporate this possibility for the Ultima.

Enjoy your Turbo Optima with le mans electronics! It will be awesome!

I love the original Turbo Optima, but this re release just doesn’t do it  for me. The tires and the threaded shocks spoils it, I think. In a perfect world a re release should be an exact copy of the original. I don’t know why Kyosho makes their rere:s with “improved” shocks and tires. What for? To make them race ready? No one’s gonna race them successfully, except in “nostalgia classes”. Why not offer these shocks and tires as hop ups like they always have? I think most of these cars will be purchased for nostalgic reasons by us who was kids when the originals was released, and many of us (I think) would love if Kyosho released the original gold shocks and OT-66 tires. They would sell like hot cakes. This is just my personal opinion. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes. 

For every person that desires a true to original re-release there is always a person that wants an updated re-release.

I don’t have a problem with Kyosho’s approach to re-release. I find they make stealthy improvements to the original. 

Infact the threaded shocks will save you a headache.. as the re-Optima, re-Scorpion / Tommy / Beetle all came with non threaded shocks and they leak like a siv

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Infact the threaded shocks will save you a headache.. as the re-Optima, re-Scorpion / Tommy / Beetle all came with non threaded shocks and they leak like a siv

This is very true - I have a javelin and a turbo scorpion rere and both havd leaky dampers.

The back end of the javelin sits in a plastic box with the wheels off and its rear end wrapped in kitchen towel because both rear shocks leak so badly that the tyres and arms are continually covered in oil.

It was also the same with the kyosho outlaw rampage rtr - its a great truck but taking it out the box the first time it was covered in oil inside because of leaking shocks. One of the fronts was about two thirds empty.

Not sure why Kyosho cant seem to get it right? Is it thd design?, crappy o-rings? Poor manufacturing tolerances?? - im considering buying some hicaps for the Javelin instead if they will fit..

The red ones have two o-rings but no plastic shock collars between them. There’s nothing stopping them from sliding up the shaft in to the cylinder. The original gold’s are of a different construction, much like the CVA:s. Never had a problem with either of those shocks.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:05 PM, Handyman said:

I love the original Turbo Optima, but this re release just doesn’t do it  for me. The tires and the threaded shocks spoils it, I think. In a perfect world a re release should be an exact copy of the original. I don’t know why Kyosho makes their rere:s with “improved” shocks and tires. What for? To make them race ready? No one’s gonna race them successfully, except in “nostalgia classes”. Why not offer these shocks and tires as hop ups like they always have? I think most of these cars will be purchased for nostalgic reasons by us who was kids when the originals was released, and many of us (I think) would love if Kyosho released the original gold shocks and OT-66 tires. They would sell like hot cakes. This is just my personal opinion. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

I hear ya and agree.   Though it did not stop me from buying. 

While not perfect, there are some aftermarket choices that are somewhat reasonable looking and perform decently:

Xtra Speed Gold Front Optima Damper (rcmart)

Xtra Speed Gold Rear Optima Damper (rcmart)

MarwanRC OT66 tires

But buying these this adds considerable to the cost of the kit, of course.

Hi,

I’m getting back into RC cars after a 30 year gap and just bought a re-release Turbo Optima and I’m getting several of the Option Parts prior to the build...can anyone please advise me of the advantages of the optional ball diff over the standard ones that come in the box?

Thanks in advance...

In principle I prefer ball differentials. They are lighter (advantage with rotating mass) and give a great driving feeling. For example with the Kyosho Tomahawk I changed to ball differential after a few weeks. The result was like day and night. Unbelievable how better and cooler the buggy drives with it. I also thought about the ball differential on an Optima, Turbo Optima or Javelin. But the gear differentials work quite well here. For the maintenance of the ball differentials you would have to disassemble the Optima quite a bit to get at it...that's the only reason why I haven't converted it yet. Nevertheless, it is very tempting to install a ball differential here as well. Just to see how the driving characteristics of the buggy change.

Yeah the disassembling of the Turbo Optima for ball diff maintenance does put me off.

Apparently gear diffs can handle more power too? I hadn’t planned on racing at this stage so not sure it’s the best option...

FYI,

Some of you may have noticed that the taller carbon front shock tower (OTW108) for Optima, Javelin and Turbo Optima is not available anywhere other than Kyosho USA  and they won’t mail to Asia Pacific or Europe so I’m sending an older aluminum one to Fibre-lyte which they are going to use to produce them in 3mm carbon. I can’t find the carbon version anywhere else...

0AA4FD85-0A80-4096-87FD-7D80FCA6240C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Will that mean they have it or sale from then on? for anyone else to order? How much is it, do you know?

My presumption is that yes it will be for sale from then onwards, not sure of price though.

So the wheels on the Turbo are 50 mm / 2.0".    That means you can't fit 2.2 buggy rims right?