Andyfish2000

Brushless and/or Lipo for re re Hotshot

Having put the cars down for the last year or so whilst I built up my flying capability, I have a renewed interest again in getting some of the cars running.  One thing that I have avoided up to now is lipo batteries and brushless motors, but with the planes mostly having them i have begun to understand some of the benefits and so thought I ought to consider upgrading the cars.  So my first one is likely to be my hotshot re re.  It currently has a sport tuned Tamiya black motor which obviously adds some speed,  Would I gain a lot from simply getting a lipo (and LVC) for it on its current set up or should I also consider brushless motor and new ESC?

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Adding lipo on its own does make a difference, I was surprised when chucking a 2s lipo into a stock TT02B how much faster it was.

The thing with brushless motors is you need to get the gearing right to make the most of it. In my Boomerang i run a Trackstar 13.5T with the biggest pinion (17t I think) and I find it goes really well on NiMH. 13.5T is the sweet spot for me in Tamiya buggies (well the rere or budget end, obviously TRF or DB01 could handle faster). I run the TBLE-02S as well, you don't need to change ESC. You wouldnt be able to gear a 17.5T high enough in a Hotshot, they get to about 7.8 FDR from memory which is probably better suited to 10.5T. 10.5T pushes the limit of the ESC though.

I prefer NiMH for bashing as I can leave them charged and usually when we run in the backyard its my son asking to do it right away. I use lipo for racing but don't have any that fit my Boomerang so haven't tried it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, what Jonathon said!

Lipo faster, check.  13.5T being the sweet spot for TBLE02s, check.  Higher gear ratio, check.  

If you are curious about NiMH vs LiPo?  About 12-15%.  Because LiPo is lighter, has a higher voltage and maintains the high voltage during discharge.  Sometimes though, a heavier car feels better. So that's something else to consider.  

• Like 1

As above, lipos add a volt+ more, a tonne of amps more, lighter and sustain the voltage longer before dropping off, just need a bit more involvement in looking after them.

Brushless motors are more efficient,  so more of the energy is converted into speed/power and if you go for a Sensored system,  can alter the timing through the rpm range, giving a real boost in rpm.

I'm loving the 10bl120 esc atm, will run down to a 4.5t motor on 2s, or a 13.5t on 3s, for under £40! :- 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021

(Its a bit of a faff altering the settings, drag brake etc with the button, but once you do it a few times you get used to it, or get a plug in programmer) 

That'll leave, pretty much any brushless motor to choose from, I know of people running that chassis with a 10.5t on 3s, but a 13.5t maybe a good starting point.

• Like 2

OK, back on this again.  Just checked my Hotshot and it contains a 1060 esc which has the low voltage protection for Lipos.  I now want to order a new Lipo, but not seems to be a massive selection and I don't trust sizes given online so looking for recommendations based upon actual experiences with Lipos that are the same size as a normal Nimh and so guaranteed to fit the chassis.

Thanks

Get a Core RC 4000mah Lipo pack. It's the same dimensions/layout as a nimh/Nicd style pack. Fits all old style vehicles. I have one that I use in a Lunch Box and CC01 no problems. They come with a Deans connector as standard but you can always change that or get an adaptor.

• Like 1

What he says 👆

The core rc is the goto Lipo for direct fitment, (133.7 x 46 x 23.3 vs the nimh 132 x 44 x 23)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

If you fancy it a bit more lively, the 3s turnigy 3.3 softcase lipos from hobbyking fit no bother in my boomerang (think I'll be ordering a 5000 3s on my next order and see if it fits/make it fit 😏) and have found 2 super shortys will go in to, so the option for 4s running.....😳💣

If you're still running the tamiya (molex?) plug, chuck it in the bin, i think those things are rated to 15A, the core rc can provide a continuous of 120A and a burst of 240Amps.The 1060 Esc can handle 60A continuous and 360A burst, so you can see ,the connection can become the weak link real quick.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

What he says 👆

The core rc is the goto Lipo for direct fitment, (133.7 x 46 x 23.3 vs the nimh 132 x 44 x 23)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

If you fancy it a bit more lively, the 3s turnigy 3.3 softcase lipos from hobbyking fit no bother in my boomerang (think I'll be ordering a 5000 3s on my next order and see if it fits/make it fit 😏) and have found 2 super shortys will go in to, so the option for 4s running.....😳💣

If you're still running the tamiya (molex?) plug, chuck it in the bin, i think those things are rated to 15A, the core rc can provide a continuous of 120A and a burst of 240Amps.The 1060 Esc can handle 60A continuous and 360A burst, so you can see ,the connection can become the weak link real quick.

How does this battery compare size-wise to old (old old old old) NiCd packs? I have an F103 which fits my Tamiya 1400 racing pack and trinity gold 1400mah pack from the 90s, but the gens ace round lipo is too long. The gens ace pack fits my Boomerang but is closer to thr length of an old 8.4v pack.

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

How does this battery compare size-wise to old (old old old old) NiCd packs?

Couple of mm bigger I think, so doubt you'd notice, I can take a couple of pics of them all in the boomerang?

This is the 2 x super shorty 2s lipos, a bit off , get in you little fighter...🙄

2019-03-23_10-17-39

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 10:43 AM, Andyfish2000 said:

OK, back on this again.  Just checked my Hotshot and it contains a 1060 esc which has the low voltage protection for Lipos.  I now want to order a new Lipo, but not seems to be a massive selection and I don't trust sizes given online so looking for recommendations based upon actual experiences with Lipos that are the same size as a normal Nimh and so guaranteed to fit the chassis.

Thanks

Just wonder which LiPo you were getting? I just bought the Hotshot but I also want to use 2S or 3S if the size of the battery can fit.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:40 AM, Wooders28 said:

Couple of mm bigger I think, so doubt you'd notice, I can take a couple of pics of them all in the boomerang?

This is the 2 x super shorty 2s lipos, a bit off , get in you little fighter...🙄

2019-03-23_10-17-39

Possible to shown more pictures? I recently got the hotshot and looking for the LiPo either 2S or 3S as long is fit. 

5 hours ago, Ray Chan said:

Possible to shown more pictures? I recently got the hotshot and looking for the LiPo either 2S or 3S as long is fit. 

Only pic a have tbh.

All my stick 2s hardcase lipos fit with wiggle room, so wouldn't be over worried with 2s, but these fit anywhere a 6 cell nicad/ nimh would.

My 3s are mostly softcase, with an Orion rocketsport hardcase 3s, and they fit.

Think these are a similar size, but may be do a bit a research in the size.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-sport-track-4000mah-3s-11-1v-50c-lipo-battery-low-profile/rc-car-products/425407

On 12/30/2020 at 5:59 AM, Wooders28 said:

Only pic a have tbh.

All my stick 2s hardcase lipos fit with wiggle room, so wouldn't be over worried with 2s, but these fit anywhere a 6 cell nicad/ nimh would.

My 3s are mostly softcase, with an Orion rocketsport hardcase 3s, and they fit.

Think these are a similar size, but may be do a bit a research in the size.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-sport-track-4000mah-3s-11-1v-50c-lipo-battery-low-profile/rc-car-products/425407

Thanks for your help.. btw, Happy New Year!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ray Chan said:

Thanks for your help.. btw, Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year!! 🎉👍