Sign in to follow this  
Aviator

RB6 vs RB6.6 vs RB7

I’m currently considering a 2WD for the collection, and the newer Ultimas caught my eye. The ReadySet is tempting as I have a solid aversion towards painting lexan, and it seem to make sense financially for a hobby, basher, non-track sort of use. I also wanted something more modern to depart from my rere Tamiyas vintage solutions.

Here in Norway the RB6 is available for an ok price. When I look at US shops, it seems they only sell the RB6.6 as a ReadySet, but then with a brushed setup (a nono for me)

1. Is the 6 outdated/replaced by the 6.6 or 7?

2. What’s the difference between the 6 and 6.6 apart from the ReadySet brushless vs brushed setup?

3. Can a 6 be modded to a 7 as the 6.6 apparently can?

4. Will we see a RB7 ReadySet?

5. What’s the size of the battery tray? 

56DDE40D-C34E-44AA-B21F-6AF5EFFB1815.jpeg

I have the 6.6 kit and race it in 17.5T stock class on an outdoor dirt track.

As far as I know the 6 and 6.6 are the same except the 6.6 has 2 extra gearbox configurations- 4 gear stand up and the 3 gear lay down in addition to rear motor and 3 gear stand up. It is also configured for shorty lipos so you can run them lengthwise or sideways. The 6 was designed for stick packs or NiMH and were longitudinal mount only. The changes allowed it to be set up for higher grip tracks.

The 6 could be upgraded to the 7 spec the same as the 6.6 since the suspension etc is all the same. 

The 7 is an evolution really but only comes with the laydown gearbox which means at my club we would need to buy additional parts to convert to a standup transmission. I believe thats available (maybe the 6.6 stuff works,, not 100% sure) so I think that they will disappear from my club over the next couple of years since TLR, AE etc offer dirt or carpet versions 

Check rctech, they have a big thread on them and people seem to have a lot of trouble with the readyset. Parts were replaced with cheaper alternatives which then become weak points.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. Rctech was an excellent source of information. I see that parts like the servo saver, Shocks and tower is prone to break on the ReadySets, however I would most likely replace these anyway. Despite these shortcomings I’m leaning towards a RB6 RTR as it is cheap and I can use my existing batteries. The ESC even seems to be lipo 3S capable. 

• Like 1