Busdriver

1.55 wheels and tyres on CC01

I am very confused!! After watching Matteo/Mojo Youtube regarding wheels and tyres for his Pajero I took the plunge and ordered a set of RC4wd black steel wheels in 1.55 format along with a set of Mickey Thompson tyres. Whilst trying to deal with my insomnia I was trolling through this and other forums and some people seem to say that these rims will not fit the CC01 front axles as they might bind on the steering knuckles. Are all CC01's the same?? I have a Defender. I have on order a complete Yeah racing suspension kit that includes new steering etc. I am worried now that I may have wasted quite a lot of money. Please help:unsure::o

If you look in my showroom you will see my CC01 FJ40 with RC4WD rims.  Tyres are RC4WD Mud Trashers. No problems at all. 1.55 Looks good on a CC01.

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

I am very confused!! After watching Matteo/Mojo Youtube regarding wheels and tyres for his Pajero I took the plunge and ordered a set of RC4wd black steel wheels in 1.55 format along with a set of Mickey Thompson tyres. Whilst trying to deal with my insomnia I was trolling through this and other forums and some people seem to say that these rims will not fit the CC01 front axles as they might bind on the steering knuckles. Are all CC01's the same?? I have a Defender. I have on order a complete Yeah racing suspension kit that includes new steering etc. I am worried now that I may have wasted quite a lot of money. Please help:unsure::o

All CC-01 models have the same front suspension, Or not entirely true, early production CC-01 kits all came with blue front uprights whereas later production CC-01 kits partially come with otherwise identical but black uprights.  The front uprights originate from the TA02 chassis, but were first released in the 53121 Skyline Long Front Arm Set. It converted the TA01 from "short" front suspension arms with "wide" uprights to "long" front suspension arms with "narrow" uprights, keeping the same width.

And that fact might be the solution to your (potential) problem, if there is one at all!  The wider uprights of the TA01 front suspension increases the distance from the inside of the wheel to the steering arm. I don't have any suitable 1.55 wheels to try to verify whether it's enough or not, but I'd say the chance is pretty good. In the rear, I can't imagine that clearance will be a problem with the original parts.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as taking the original front suspension off the CC01 and mounting a TA01 front suspension. The reason why is that the CC01 has its own type of front suspension arms despite having TA02 uprights. So neither TA01 nor TA02 front suspension arms fit the CC01. However, the TL01 front suspension arms do and they are the same length as TA01 front suspension arms. So what you need is:

2 pcs. TL01 front lower suspension arms.

2 pcs. TA01 front uprights

2 pcs. TA01 front wheelaxles

2 pcs. TA01 front drive shafts 

4 pcs. TA01 kingpins (longer than TA02/CC01 type kingpins)

4pcs. 1150 bearings (TA02/CC01 uprights use 2 pcs. 1260 and 2 pcs. 1510 bearings)

2 pcs. outer screwpins (length tba)

2 pcs. inner screwpins (length tba)

2 pcs. generic adjustable upper arms. The CC01 upper arms are unique for the chassis type and mounting holes are 90 degrees to each other, whereas TA01 (and most other) upper arms are on line.

With these parts, you have an almost "bolt-on" solution to increase distance between the inside of the wheel and the steering arm without changing width of the front suspension. You will need to shim slightly between the suspension arm halves, but otherwise it's a direct fit. After reading your post, it took me 5 minutes to convert one side on one of my CC01 chassises. See photos below.

51059205_10155750612262407_5475198144000

TL01 suspension arm with TA01 upright to the left and original CC01 to the right.

51477507_10155750612307407_2113412355340

TL01 suspension arm with TA01 upright to the left and original CC01 to the right. Resulting width is in theory identical and measuring with calipers, the original suspension appears to be about 1mm wider, but that can be compensated for with shims between the hex hubs and inside of the wheel (further increasing distance between inside of wheel and steering arm, btw!)

51525887_10155750612192407_8295261352587                                     51398910_10155750612237407_5506123845561

TL01 suspension arm with TA01 upright to the left and original CCo1 to the right. The increased distance between inside of the wheel and the steering arm isn't easy to visualize directly, but the king pins are a clear indication. The kingpin with TA01 upright to the left is almost not covered by the wheel at all, whereas the TA02/CC01 upright to the right is almost fully covered.

• Like 1

Busdriver, please post when you receive them.  I have a CC01 project that I'm looking to put those exact wheels on at some point.  I've seen plenty of photos online where CC01s are using them and assumed they would fit no problem.

20 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Thanks for the link, the wheels look great. Fingers crossed for the ones i've ordered .https://store.rc4wd.com/Stamped-Steel-155-Stock-Black-Beadlock-Wheels_p_37.html

Is there some confusion on the other forums between the wheels you have selected and the other 1.55s RC4WD offer, the ‘landies’? The other wheels are pin drive rather than hex. See second pic on the Modelsport listing...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=401828&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj5HClpmi4AIVTLftCh0bSAZ0EAQYAyABEgKt7_D_BwE

Wheels arrived and phew they fit. Haven't set it all up but plenty of clearance around the hub etc.The overall dimension will be almost identical to original set.Might even be a fraction smaller. Will have to wait and see when I mount the tyres. I will be starting a post over the weekend to show all the upgrades I have got. Yeah racing full suspension set, the wheels and tyres and a 55t motor

• Like 1

As promised picture of Wheels/ Tyres.They look great against Gunmetal body. The are a fraction smaller than the stock tamiya ones which are 1.9's. Having said that they are much more scale to a D90 which is fitted with 16" rims. Haven't driven it yet but the rubber is super soft and hopefully sticky.

A few tips for fitting:

1 Cut a hex key so it can be fitted into a pin vice.

2  a 4mm spanner

3 use the 2 spare long screws to lock all the bits together then do the other 4 short ones. then take long ones out and do the last two short ones

4 If you loose any of the nuts put head between legs and kiss anything you can reach!!!!. seriously check inside the wheel as they end up in strange places, they are tiny m2 I think .I only lost 1 and luckily had a couple spare from the Traxxas mudflap kit i bought.

I have a lot more upgrades for this  car so will now start a new post for all the suspension etc.

2019_0208Rc4WD0053.JPG

2019_0208Rc4WD0054.JPG

2019_0208Rc4WD0055.JPG

• Like 3

PS i think I might get a set of black nylocs to make it all black

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

3 use the 2 spare long screws to lock all the bits together then do the other 4 short ones. then take long ones out and do the last two short ones

The instructions on the GMade wheels I assembled last week were exactly that! I could see why when I put them together.

Having seen your wheels and tyres, I may have to get some for my truck (not a Defender). I think my 1.9s might be a little large. Thanks for putting up the pics!

And yes, black nylocs will look nice, I reckon.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:20 PM, Busdriver said:

As promised picture of Wheels/ Tyres.They look great against Gunmetal body. The are a fraction smaller than the stock tamiya ones which are 1.9's. Having said that they are much more scale to a D90 which is fitted with 16" rims. Haven't driven it yet but the rubber is super soft and hopefully sticky.

A few tips for fitting:

1 Cut a hex key so it can be fitted into a pin vice.

2  a 4mm spanner

4 If you loose any of the nuts put head between legs and kiss anything you can reach!!!!. seriously check inside the wheel as they end up in strange places, they are tiny m2 I think .I only lost 1 and luckily had a couple spare from the Traxxas mudflap kit i bought.

I have a lot more upgrades for this  car so will now start a new post for all the suspension etc.

2019_0208Rc4WD0053.JPG

2019_0208Rc4WD0054.JPG

2019_0208Rc4WD0055.JPG

One Tenth Delica | Facebook
I am scratch-building a Mitsubishi Delica/L300 van body for mounting on a CC-01. The real car has only 28" tires on 15" rims stock and 88mm wheels which come with CC-01 just barely clear the fenders during steering when standing on flat surface. I need different wheels (the size of rim is not suitable either, but that is secondary). I am considering RC4WD's 1.55" stamped steel rims and 84mm Baja MTZ tires exactly as on your Land Rover. I would need to have them shipped internationally, so I am concerned about them not fitting the way I need to. Key part is the offset of the rim and overall width over tires it will create. Stock CC-01 is 193-195mm wide - would you be so kind and measure how wide is over tires your Land Rover? It would help me immensely. When at it, measuring overall diameter and width of the tire and diameter of the rim would also be helpful if you can. Thanks!
Rim: Stamped Steel 1.55" Stock Black Beadlock Wheels (rc4wd.com)
Tire: RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.55" Baja MTZ P3 Scale Tires

241671906_4272623106154282_2410461519693093035_n.jpg

Looks a cool project. Sorry not have responded sooner but I was away for the weekend. I don’t have the Defender body anymore but I do have a CC01 and those wheels though not on the CC01! I will be doing some RC stuff tomorrow afternoon so will do a bit of a swap and measure up.

22804E89-D841-4812-8BE8-844226808355.thumb.jpeg.4431ac94ac9e3ef666f506c14e9bce85.jpeg

I’d say 196mm, which I think is a fraction wider than stock? Rim is 46.5mm, diameter of tyre is 83.5mm and the width of the tyre is 27mm. Hope this all helps?

Edited by Busdriver

Thanks a lot. 196mm should be around 1mm wider on each side. 83.5mm is 4mm smaller diameter / 2mm smaller radius. That is great news as it means the wheels should fit just about exactly how I need them.

• Like 1

They are really good wheels and tyres and they add a good bit of lowdown weight.