Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

HPI Jumpshot MT

So I start this thread a little late as I've already started tweaking this little MT which I bought 2nd hand and completely stock but missing a vital jumper tab for the ESC to enable to switch either between NImh/Lipo or one of the running modes.

Researching this truck shows that it can have a weak idler gear which will strip under big (4600kv?) brushless power, there is no upgrade fix for this and even the brushless version of this truck was a lowly 2700kv or 2900kv motor with a built in ESC unit designed for 2s lipo only , it looks like HPI knew it couldn't handle big power... and that Flux version had the exact same plastic idler gear which was not upgraded.

Moving on I have about 3 runs on the truck so far and noting has broken, it has a top speed on the stock gearing with 6cell Nimh of aboit 20MPH wich is fine.

Upgrading I found quite a few bits available from Integy in the USA, I know they ave a weak reputation for weak parts but they are cheap enough and I don't plan to hit this truck that hard given the limitations of the gearbox..... so I already installed the Orange gearbox and here are some more bits to make the truck more asthetically pleasing

Here it is with the stock wheels.

yF5QM2h.jpg

Much nicer to go down to some 2.8'' Lousise wheels and tyres I had left over... here you can see the alloy gearbox already fitted.... and lurking in the background a new alloy rear tower to be fitted.

rKjK7nN.jpg

Next to replace that grey alloy chassis with the Integy version which was a drama free fit .... this is called a TVP (Twin Vertical Plate?) chassis

J8rez0q.jpg

Wheels back on

rsyBrS6.jpg

And bodyshell back on

YVZJwGY.jpg

• Like 6

Then today I added the remaining Integy parts to the hub areas... all a perfect fit  I'm glad to report

Some rear hubs

6IV1lq3.jpg

Some front C hubs and knuckles

BR4YS3D.jpg

Wheels back on again

tzOKyZL.jpg

And the bodyshell lowered a couple notches to sit a bit squatter

fYGq5nc.jpg

0BXCHxG.jpg

Next on the list will be a new bodyshell...... and a better brushed esc that will run 2s lipo (1060?) and possibly some front and rear aftermarket bumpers (T-bone)

With Spring just around the corner I hope to run this in the next couple months, meanwhile it sure looks pretty sat on the shelf

• Like 8

Glad to see one these getting use. I thought they were a pretty neat alternative to the Traxxas Stampede when they came out. If it wasn't for the weal idler, this would've been my first HPI purchase.

• Like 1

Those stock tyres were 120mm tall and 65mm wide... maybe they helped wear out the idler gear on hotter motors... these new Louise tyres have much less rotational mass so fingers crossed.

Am keen to see how those tyres go as I may try a set out on my Savage XS. Are you able to weight the original vs new to give an idea of the weight difference please?

My wife has utilised (lost) my scales... but I'd say in hand they are about half the weight if that help @LeftyAl

• Like 1

@Jason1145 thanks mate, that does help. Will get some and try them out. Thanks again

• Like 1

This will be painted a nice orange to match the rest of the car... with a splash of black me thinks

JDHx21S.jpg

CbNDJxR.jpg

• Like 4

Cut and mounted the new shell.... the bodypost dimples line up exactly for the HPI bodyposts.... handy!

WjUS56n.jpg

Then got my new ESC, all fitted ok and this looks like a knock off of the Hobbywing 1060 with the same jumper tabs etc

PjQBCfb.jpg

Only issue is that when it goes from Rev to FWD there is a slight half second delay which prevents wheelies and awesome wheelspins..... it might be a safety feature but I was only running in F/B/R and Nimh mode.

gJg1au1.jpg

6eesYz9.jpg

VQLbdBc.jpg

The 15T Firebolt is ok but not very fast, I will try it next on 2s lipo to see if that improves things.... there is always the gearing to look at to increase top speed too.

After a half nimh pack the front wheel almost fell of..... knew I should've put threadlock on those new alloy hubs etc... so back to camp and threadlock applied throughout.... trying to be lazy just caused more work!

Then I painted that new shell, couldn't find the Tamiya PS61 I had bought a couple weeks back so went with a Gunmetal Grey  had and another orange to fill in the masked off areas... then backed it all with the Gunmetal grey to darken the orange

Oh, and decided the stock wheels look better for size so they are back on again!

aRtv2EL.jpg

DW2WW6a.jpg

GHpwFJI.jpg

ctkbyci.jpg

hGCqJlF.jpg

• Like 3

Woohoo a new 2.0 version is out

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=435334

Ssys there is a new metal idler gear that would replace the i plastic one on my first gen Jumpshot

"Brand new materials and designs for several important parts mean you can bash and race all day long! A new metal idler gear, tougher diff and spur gears, reinforced camber link, plus a stronger servo saver mean that the V2 really means something when it comes to the HPI Jumpshot trucks! You can drive all day and not worry about a thing, whether you're jumping, bashing, racing or just going crazy!"

However the "New" idler gear listed in the 2.0 version parts is 115298 which is the same part number as for the first version truck!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-idler-gear-27t-/rc-car-products/394117

• Like 1

Cool! Thanks for the update. My interest is piqued. Don't know if I can justify having a Jumpshot and a 2wd Stampede in the roster but I'll try ;).

• Haha 1

Probably have to email hpi and see if they can tell you how to get the upgrade parts. 

• Like 1

Please see the TC Trades / Sales section now if you want to buy / swap something for this Jumpshot :)